Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed limit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Speed limit Reply with quote

As I understand it, the speed camera database here does not currently split the cameras into type or speed limit in force at the site.

Are there any plans to change this?

If there are, can I ask that the 60mph cameras are also split into single and dual/triple carriageway to allow the single 60mph cameras to have their speed warning set separately. This is because when towing, this limit drops to 50mph, whereas all the others are more easily set.

Be nice if one of the POI programs included an option of "I'm towing" and automatically dropped the speed of the relevant limits, but that's probably asking a bit much...

Steve
(who's realising this might be a better way to go than a dedicated GPS based solution)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it more, the lower speed limit isn't so much of an issue at fixed gatso sites (as they have no way of knowing the vehicle type) but it is an issue at the sites where mobile cameras are often sited, as the operators are able to figure out the vehicle type and prosecute accordingly.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swing,

I’m going to play Devil’s Advocate here. Having notification of camera locations is a good thing, and unquestionably having this split into separate speed limits is also useful. However if you rely too much on the POI data, and the speed limit changes (i.e. lowers) on the stretch of road where the camera is, then you could get caught speeding by that camera.

In the last year or so, the people responsible for speed limits of my local roads have “revised” some of the speed limits. Although it’s strange how they always lower and not increase the limit, especially on country roads that have no history of accidents.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I’m going to play Devil’s Advocate here.
From the same viewpoint, only having a database that shows the location of the camera means the driver is still reliant upon playing attention and knowing the speed limit in force.

One could also argue that someone who is towing should be even more acutely aware of the speed limit and his surroundings.

All true, but I'd still like the ability to get alerted when the odd digression occurs Smile

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I know what you mean. Smile

It is often hard to determine what the actual posted speed limit is, especially when the council/highways don’t trim back the over grown roadside hedge/foliage where the new speed signs are placed – just so the signs can’t be seen. Evil or Very Mad

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: