Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Absolute beginner: How would I go about doing this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Absolute beginner: How would I go about doing this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmofongo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Absolute beginner: How would I go about doing this? Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is posted over and over again here.

I want to create a database of specific locations around a city. I would like to use a small and inexpensive device to record the lat/lon of a location at the push of a button and perhaps the ability to assign some kind of text identifier to it (not absolutely necessary if this impacts the price)

After I'm all done recording locations out in the field, I would like to download my database from the device to my computer (USB, Bluetooth, doesn't matter, really.. Prefferably something non-Proprietary) as some sort of easily readable file (CSV, XML, XLS, again... prefferably something that isn't proprietary)

Can one of you experts point me to a device (or devices) that would allow me to accomplish this? Accuracy is important, but it doesn't need to be down to the inch =)

Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any GPS and or PDA/ PNA hardware/ software, as this will make an answer somewhat easier, I am sure you wil get an answer though given a few more facts - Mike
mrmofongo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting completely from scratch, actually. All I have are some ideas, a computer and programming experience.
mrmofongo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, to post again.. I just reviewed the I-mate PDA-N and I was looking for something much simpler. I literally just need the latitude and longitude recorded to a file, perhaps in some specific order so I can tag it later. It really doesn't even need to have a screen. Just a button and the ability to connect to a computer.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A basic handheld GPS receiver will do this and more - turn it on, walk about, and when you want to save a position it's just a few clicks to save it as a waypoint and give it a unique name. Back home you just plug the device into a cable to your PC and download the lot.
I use a Garmin eTrex. There's a range of models with different features, so take your pick. One thing to watch is that you get one with the right sort of cable for connecting it to your PC. Magellan are another major manufacturer if you want to make a comparison.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: