Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 700 in Spain - A joke that isn't funny
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 700 in Spain - A joke that isn't funny
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul5464
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom 700 in Spain - A joke that isn't funny Reply with quote

I've owned the 700 for about 4 months and have been pretty pleased with it around London and the south of England. However, I have just returned from 4 days in the Cataluynia region of Spain and feel very disappointed in the TomTom's performance, especially as it is so few months old.

On one occasion, it directed me down a dirt track which led off a sign to a cemetary having diverted me off a main road (why it did this when in London it sticks to main roads come what may). On every drive I came across roadabouts that aren't listed, towns with ring road systems that weren't there, roundabouts where I was told to take the second exit when in fact the 'first' exit was blocked off and looked like it had been for some years. Even the points of interest were inaccurate - The pre programed PoI details for a well known hotel I was to stay at in the town of Tortossa were incorrect and the TomTom led me down a narrow street in the old town only to turn a corner into a further street that was barred to pedestrians and had, once again, been so for some time. The list goes on. Especially disappointing as I was in an area of Spain near famous places like Barcelona and the coast line of the Costa Brava where the roads should be well travelled and many tourists go.

I think it is a disgrace that TomTom market this product as providing Western European door to door guidance when quite clearly this isn't the case in Spain. At best it is in an indicative guide to roughly the right direction. I paid extra for the 700 because I wanted more, and feel I should have just paid for the 500 which would have got me to major towns in Europe anyway.

Paul
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Paul, had the same experience myself in the Golithian Region.. dirt roads, roundabouts POI's exactly as you say!!

Had mine for 7 months now, overall I'm pleased, but was also gutted after two months of owning when I went to Ireland! Completely useless!!

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadget_sa wrote:
...,but was also gutted after two months of owning when I went to Ireland! Completely useless!!

Of course Tomtom never claimed that Ireland was included in the map data.

(And Spain is covered only 86%)
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
gadget_sa wrote:
...,but was also gutted after two months of owning when I went to Ireland! Completely useless!!

Of course Tomtom never claimed that Ireland was included in the map data.

(And Spain is covered only 86%)

Ireland, Yep, realiesed that after I'd got it and tried to find where I was going, and after reading about in here. Still in the main it has everything I need and won't be doing another trip to Ireland in the foreseeable future, so no worries.

Spain, you're right on the 700 it is only 86%, and again, I didn't check this when I purchased it, but I see now that they are up to 99% on the 710 and 910.... looks like an upgrade might be on the cards... Wife permitting!!

stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im taking my 910 to spain soon so will let you know how I get on
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stustaff wrote:

Please do, as I go there twice a year, sometimes more!! It would be great for feedback especially if it keeps yopu off the dirt tracks!

sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dirt track route is a problem in other European countries too. I found that in rural parts of Germany I was offered routes along a road that was tarmac-ed, but went to a "No vehilcles excet forest workers" sign - and then disappeared through the trees.

I would check the route with the paper map and add an "avoid part of route" if I thought I needed to. The extra preparation saved time overall.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
The dirt track route is a problem in other European countries too. I found that in rural parts of Germany I was offered routes along a road that was tarmac-ed, but went to a "No vehilcles excet forest workers" sign - and then disappeared through the trees.

I would check the route with the paper map and add an "avoid part of route" if I thought I needed to. The extra preparation saved time overall.

Perhaps I'll try to check some of routes on TT before I set off in future....

BTW, whats a paper map?? Confused

Delski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadget_sa wrote:
stustaff wrote:

Please do, as I go there twice a year, sometimes more!! It would be great for feedback especially if it keeps yopu off the dirt tracks!

Just got back from a 4000 mile trip from Uk to Costa del Sol/Gilbrator using the 910...Not impressed at all to be honest, well may be a little unfair, but found it almost impossible to use in Malaga, updating my postion and telling me where to turn etc almost caused a few prangs, it was so slow in updating when i missed a exit off a roundabout. Oh and when the mount gets hot from the spainish sun, the flipping thing would not stop drooping. Must have been every 5 mins i had to lift it up! I am planning to do a write up on the trip with pics using the tomtom, but not sure if anyone would be intrested.

Del
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound too great Del.
It would be worthwhile posting something up with more detail, I'm sure theres interested parties on here.

Looks like we are all waiting for better maps then, as for your refresh rate, sounds like an issue if it's caused that sort of problem.

jeff261159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back yesterday from a 2 week stay on the costs del sol, took my TT700 with me and must say I ws very impressed. Took in a day trip to seville via ronda on the way and via malaga on the way back, no problems with finding car parks and other useful POI's. No problem with the mount sagging either! I guess I must be lucky!
Paul5464
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for everyone's comments and also a sense of shared frustration from a few as well.

I don't mind if things don't do everything, it's just that this should be flagged up more clearly at the point of sale....

If the new 710 and 910 offer greater accuracy in mapping terms, will we be able to download those maps onto the 700? I will also be interested in anyone's stories of how they get on with a 710/910 outside the UK. Has anyone tried it in the United States?

I guess what I learnt is that when in Spain if the device directs you down a road that 'doesn't look good' (i.e. small / off a main road when you know you aren't near you destination etc), then simply don't take it and plough on using the main road. It will then probably recalculate to something more sensible.

One good side - I downloaded the 'european' speed camera locations from this website and I would says those particular POIs in the part of Spain I was visiting were always accurate!

Paul
nascar9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying maps of Spain but not sure reading this.
gadget_sa you say the coverage of Spain is up to 99%.
I take it that is on new/updated maps.
Is there a product code so that I can be certain to get the 99% coverage ones.
lloydd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Iberian map and downloaded it from the TomTom site. Now I'm spending my sunday trying to make this work. The TomTom Home installs the map but when I check the SD stick after I see that there are only few files transported to the stick. In the end I do not get this card running on my TT510 Sad In few days we will going on holidays in Spain but I don't think that I can enjoy this Euro 60 map Evil or Very Mad

If I install the map (using the exe.file which comes with it) to a empty SD stick it works but as soon as I put back my Italian map with Europe main streets I will not see the Iberian map in the change map menu.

So I made a copy of this clean installation of Iberian and added it to the working Italian map. I found the Spanish map but as soon as I click on it to change map my TT freezes!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Anybody got a Idea for me??

Thx.

LLoydd
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydd wrote:
In few days we will going on holidays in Spain but I don't think that I can enjoy this Euro 60 map Evil or Very Mad

If I install the map (using the exe.file which comes with it) to a empty SD stick it works but as soon as I put back my Italian map with Europe main streets I will not see the Iberian map in the change map menu.
If it works on the empty SD card, use it like that for your holiday, if we can't get you sorted out before then. :D

lloydd wrote:
So I made a copy of this clean installation of Iberian and added it to the working Italian map. I found the Spanish map but as soon as I click on it to change map my TT freezes!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Anybody got a Idea for me??

Thx.

LLoydd
If the 510 file layout is the same as Navigator, this would have created a folder called (something like) "Iberia Map". You then copied this folder over to the original card? Then within the application you chose Iberia under Switch Map? At this point the 510 hangs?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: