Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series. Reply with quote

I have stolen, borrowed, bought on e-bay, non-standard, hacked, or any other form of software or mapping. Its stuffed my Tom Tom, or I can't find out how to make it work. Can anyone help.

Could one of the moderators give the answer, telling me where to wedge my software, and then make it sticky, so we aren't bothered by the prats who think they can find help on this forum to get around illegal use of software?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series. Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
I have stolen, borrowed, bought on e-bay, non-standard, hacked, or any other form of software or mapping. Its stuffed my Tom Tom, or I can't find out how to make it work. Can anyone help.

Could one of the moderators give the answer, telling me where to wedge my software, and then make it sticky, so we aren't bothered by the prats who think they can find help on this forum to get around illegal use of software?

Laughing Out Loud! I was already to tell you were to stick your post and then the penny eventually dropped!

I'll create a sticky though as it's a good point!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that there appear to be an increasing number of posts, which if you read between the lines, make you wonder how legitimate the software is.

While on the subject of 'inapropriate' posting and guidance given about it, perhaps prominent intstructions could be given about appropriate subject headings and the most appropriate forum.

We seem to be seeing an increasing number of posts with a subject line which give no indication as to the subject matter, along with what are basic software queries being posted in harware forum for the PDA they are using. Appropriate posting will get more viewings so is far more likely to get a reply.

Although not 100% certain (as I may be missing something) I wonder if it is time to restrict postings about the safety camera database to the subscriber forums (even if the thread is just locked - no need to get heavy handed like with the pirateing issue)- so that all the users of 'alternate versions' will not have access to information or help.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series. Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:

It won't stop em I am afraid. One got locked out because he admitted he was using hacked software so he just asked the same question tagged to a message on another quite legitimate question.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series. Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
It won't stop em I am afraid. One got locked out because he admitted he was using hacked software so he just asked the same question tagged to a message on another quite legitimate question.

Who was that? if you can provide the link to the post I'll act.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43493&start=15

Same guy who put a pirate version of TT navigator on his ONE and corrupted the bootloader/nvram or something.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the guy - hes off asking the same question at Your Nav too! Andy????
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to say that there appear to be an increasing number of posts, which if you read between the lines, make you wonder how legitimate the software is.

yea, cause I bet no one does anything illegal on here, do they? yea right, no copied CD's or DVD's in the house?
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yea, cause I bet no one does anything illegal on here, do they? yea right, no copied CD's or DVD's in the house?

There’s no problem with backup copies. I have one of my TomTom SD card. I think the point is that any site that actively encourages piracy is asking for it and in my opinion it is quite correct to discourage it. When someone steals my device I hope they don’t get some gullible sole buying it on ebay and then getting help from here.

Well done moderators

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There’s no problem with backup copies

Oh god, not the old 'I own the original, so I can copy it'
I'm sure people have copies and dont own the original.
My point is, yes the site has to be seen not to promote illegal activitives, but come on, we live in the real world.
I have no problem with the mods saying these things as they have too, but what pees me off is when other people jump on the band wagon and start shouting about it, like they are all whiter than white.
biggles150
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB Map v710.1571
Sandisk ultra II 512MB
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my irony went over your head. I do see your point and heaven forbid if people start having there say on a forum 8O. We should stamp that out straight away Laughing .

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ! No more irony on this forum ! Police

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
Quote:

Not the point at all. This is a legitimate site which takes pride in dealing with legitimate issues only. If anyone wishes to do otherwise, risking dodgy advice and even dodgier links to so called patches, they are perfectly free to do it elsewhere - NOT HERE

Yes many sites may claim not to support piracy, but many (this site excepted) do little more that having a rule prohibitting it - they often (again unlike this site) do little else.

You can also be pretty sure that if someone does post a dodgy link (sometimes which on the surface appears legitimate), that it will be removed pretty quickly (possibly along with the member!)
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but that IS the point, people 'break' the law all the time, even people who think they are 'law abiding citizens' do it in one way or another, probably without realising it.
I was not directing this at the mods or the site but 'other' people who rattle on about piracy for no reason. Leave that to the mods.

Quote:
This is a legitimate site which takes pride in dealing with legitimate issues only

mmm, what you after? cant be a membership as you are one, a member, that is.. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: