Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using dodgy maps on the Tom Tom series.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not directing this at the mods or the site but 'other' people who rattle on about piracy for no reason. Leave that to the mods.

i'll second that.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
sorry, but that IS the point, people 'break' the law all the time, even people who think they are 'law abiding citizens' do it in one way or another, probably without realising it.
I was not directing this at the mods or the site but 'other' people who rattle on about piracy for no reason. Leave that to the mods.

Quote:
This is a legitimate site which takes pride in dealing with legitimate issues only

mmm, what you after? cant be a membership as you are one, a member, that is.. Laughing

As for it is the point - I couldn't disagree more, yes, what you say is correct - but it isn't the point. The point is that this is a site which has nothing to do with piracy, something which is taken very seriously by the people who run the site and by many of the members.

As to what am I after, I am not quite sure how I should take that, or what (if anything) it is intended to imply. Suffice to say that I am not affiliated to the site, and so far as I know, the only thing that anyone could possibly gain would be free lifetime membership, but I already have that.

But what suprises me most, is how the small aside comment about an observation (not a rattling on about the rights and wrongs of piracy - which I haven't actually mentioned) has been latched onto; when the main substance of my post, about helping members to post more effectively, so as to increase their chances of a response, has been totally ignored.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what suprises me most, is how the small aside comment about an observation (not a rattling on about the rights and wrongs of piracy - which I haven't actually mentioned)

I was referring to other posters Rolling Eyes

Let me try and explain in more simpler terms for you. Rolling Eyes

Loads of people 'break the law' everyday some without realising it. (still with me?)
Even, dare I say it, the mods will no doubt have 'crossed the line' once or twice. But to tell the whole world about it on a website is a risky thing, it could get shut down, for instance. Now no one wants this, least of all the mods, but they cant 100% control what other posters write, so to cover them and the site they tell everyone not to discuss piracy and that they dont condone it. Problem sorted. they are doing there best to control it so the 'outside world' will leave them alone. (still there?)
I have absolutely no problem with this, as I said before, its the other people who 'rattle on' about it that pees me off. Why do they bother? they dont need to, so it must be for some other reason. (ok?)

so, what have we learned today?
1- the mods say dont discuss piracy because they have to.
2- that doesn't mean other people have to agree to look legit
3- some people need posts writing in much simpler terms to understand them.

:P
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to you breaking the law comment, I clearly stated that what you said was correct, so why on earth you felt the need to put it in simpler terms escapes me.

But it could be said that the TomTom forums are currently busier than the CoPilot ones, also true - just not relevant.

As for having learned something, I think the only thing we have learned is your low opinion of the moderators and this site.

You appear to have implied that:
1 The moderators would allow discussion about piracy if they could.
2 You don't have to abide by the forum rules, they are just there to cover the sites back.

All I can say to those, is, that lesser implications have resulted in lawsuits in some parts of the world.

Obviously, if I have misunderstood you, that, I agree, requires clarification.

But as for your third point, this I fully accept, I repeat, FULLY accept - just in case you feel a need to clarify that too.

I have no intention of getting into a long discussion about piracy, suffice to say, that I have a pretty controvertial view of sometimes wondering if that under certain circumstances, it can actually benefit some companies, because it might hurt the competition more than them, but that is another soapbox.

I (and hopefully many others) come, and contribute to this site, because of the very useful information and help, often far better, than from the manufacturers/suppliers themselves. I don't want this valuable source of information, about how to get the best out of your hardware and software, along with how to get around/avoid problems or inadequacies, drowned out by details on the best way to get around the latest protection, ot the best source for the latest crack.

Again, reading between the lines, and what I have gleaned from other posts. I think that 'cracked' software may not always behave in the same way as legitimate software (I even accept that in some circumstances the removal of the 'security' overhead can improve performance/usability) so advice given may not apply to the users of the legitimate software.

Or perhaps, I am just being selfish in not wanting to help people sort out their unsupported software problems, when I have paid for mine.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the only thing we have learned is your low opinion of the moderators and this site.

Then I think you've learned nothing. The only opinion of the mods I have is they do a job to ensure the site remains legal and help people with questions, if they know the answers. Thats it. no high or low opinion.

Quote:
Or perhaps, I am just being selfish in not wanting to help people sort out their unsupported software problems, when I have paid for mine.

Yes I think you are, I personnally dont care if I've paid for software and others haven't, thats upto them and nothing to do with me or anyone else.
I would help anyone I can with anything, if I know the answers, regardless of the subject, however, I would respect, and do, any forum rules. :D
I'm not that small minded that I wont help people just because I've paid for something and they got it for free.

Quote:
I don't want this valuable source of information, about how to get the best out of your hardware and software, along with how to get around/avoid problems or inadequacies, drowned out by details on the best way to get around the latest protection, ot the best source for the latest crack.

Then why read or respond to them? Read what you want to read and ignore the rest.
I apprieciate your views, but they are just that, your views, not everyones. Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not that small minded that I wont help people just because I've paid for something and they got it for free.
So someone steals your car and it breaks down up the road, they come back and ask you to help them fix it.

I must also be very selfish, having purchased TWO sets of TT Maps of Western Europe + GB, or maybe just bloody stupid eh?
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So someone steals your car and it breaks down up the road, they come back and ask you to help them fix it.

yes, very good. there's always some wise ass, the topic is piracy, have you not been following?

Quote:
I must also be very selfish, having purchased TWO sets of TT Maps of Western Europe + GB, or maybe just bloody stupid eh?

you said it
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

yes, very good. there's always some wise , the topic is piracy, have you not been following?

So you dont think piracy is theft then?

Quote:
Quote:

you said it

And you think someone is stupid if they purchase legitimate maps?

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I dont care, as long as its not from me, why should I?

Quote:
And you think someone is stupid if they purchase legitimate maps?

Did I say that? no, he did.

Look, for fracks sake, I dont care what other people do, I only care what I do. Its not for me to tell other people not to do things. If someone wants to get software etc from 'other' sources, thats upto them, why should it harm me, they're taking risks, not me.
And thats what I was originally saying, why do other people get involved and make comments on here, let the mods do that.

Go back to your sheltered little lives where you think only criminals break the law, and pretend most of the world is law abiding. Rolling Eyes
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
...I apprieciate your views, but they are just that, your views, not everyones. Laughing

But possibly views held by many other forum members going by the posts made by Lost_Property and ColinS.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon everybody settle down! Rolling Eyes

Piracy is theft and we should all care about it. Piracy normally means hacked and thus the potential for sub-standard software/data that may cause problems on your system.

Piracy also reduces the income that the software authors and data providers receive, which in turn reduces the budget for future R&D.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
Quote:

Sums it up really....
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But possibly views held by many other forum members going by the posts made by Lost_Property and ColinS.

And an equal number who agree with me, so we'll have to agree to diagree Laughing

Quote:
Piracy also reduces the income that the software authors and data providers receive, which in turn reduces the budget for future R&D.

It also stops monopoly, companies inflating costs unfairly. Lets face it, some people wouldn't resort to pirate goods if the originals where not so bloody expensive.

Quote:
Quote:

Sums it up really....

Does it?
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And an equal number who agree with me, so we'll have to agree to diagree Laughing

Quote:

It also stops monopoly, companies inflating costs unfairly. Lets face it, some people wouldn't resort to pirate goods if the originals where not so bloody expensive.

Quote:
Quote:

Sums it up really....

Does it?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m623d,

Did you mean to double post the same reply? Confused

m623d wrote:

Competition from alternative (and more importantly legitimate) sources stops monopoly. If you have just one product which has both legitimate and pirated versions then you will still have a monopoly.

The flip side of the coin is that piracy can actually keep prices inflated. If every pirated version was a legitimate version then costs per unit would be decreased.

If you feel that a product or service is too expensive then you are fully entitled to search for a cheaper (but still legitimate) source, or use an alternative product from another provider.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: