Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ZIRE 72 FATAL ALERT, FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ZIRE 72 FATAL ALERT, FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillsideshoer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: ZIRE 72 FATAL ALERT, FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR Reply with quote

EVERYTIME I PLUG MY WIRED RECEIVER INTO MY ZIRE 72 I GET A FATAL ALERT, FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR AND HAVE TO DO A SOFT RESET, THEN IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. BOUGHT ANOTHER RECEIVER, SAMETHING. PROBLEM 2, BOUGHT BLUETOOTH RECEIVER, BT77, USING TOMTOM NAV 5, I CAN GET EVERYTHING TO CONNECT AND WORK FINE BUT FOR ONLY ABOUT 10-15 MINUTES, THEN NO GPS DEVICE AND IT WILL NOT RECONNECT UNTIL MAYBE LATER IN THE DAY. TESTED RECEIVER WITH LAPTOP AND THEY WILL STAY CONNECTED ALL DAY LONG! DO I JUST OWN A BUGGY BLUE ZIRE 72? HELP
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There don't appear to be large numbers of problems posted about BT77 and Zire 72, so it sounds more like a problem with your particular setup.

You could try doing a hard reset (after backing up, of course!), install nothing but Tomtom and then see if it works okay. Fingers crossed it will, in which case you can narrow it down to a software conflict or a glitch - try reinstalling applications one at a time until the problem reoccurs to identify which app it is. If it does not reoccur, it was a glitched and is solved... Laughing

[by the way, using capitals in a post denotes that YOU ARE SHOUTING, and some may therefore take offence at your post. Switch your caps lock off unless you want to SHOUT about something... Wink )
hillsideshoer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will try the hard reset. I appoligize for the caps, I didn't realize it meant shouting in a post.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries - no harm done. Wink

Good luck with the reset (and don't forget to BACKUP first!)
hillsideshoer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the hard reset and before installing anything went out to truck and plugged in ,everything was ok twice then after that still got the fatal exception error.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...sorry to hear that. Crying or Very sad

It's Tomtom that is crashing, right? Which version are you using?

5.201 is the latest...earlier versions have been variously reported as causing alot of problems with bluetooth GPS device connections.

If you're on an older version try upgrading to 5.201 - it costs nothing provided you have purchased Tomtom 5 previously.

Other than that I'm a little stuck for ideas...sorry.
hillsideshoer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have upgraded to the latest version of TT. I think it is a palm problem because it did this with Delorme 2006 for Handhelds. That software isn't that good and at first I thought it was the problem thats why I went to TT5 Is there something in the palm program that turns off the bluetooth after a certain amount of time? The funny thing is I can get it to work with the wired receiver but let me tell you what I have to do. First plug the mini usb into the palm, get the fatal exception error, then unplug and plug the mini usb in and out about 3 times, soft reset palm, then plug mini usb back in( then I don't get the fatal exception error), then go to the TT program( no GPS Device is detected ) then I unplug the cig adapter and hear the palm beep then plug it back in, then it works and everything works great. It will stay connected and work all day. I have no idea how I figured this out but for the money I've spent I don't think I should have to go through this. Somebody emailed me saying that the blue Zire 72's will have these wired receiver problems.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that does sound rather clunky, and certainly not the sort of thing you should have to be doing given the price of the hardware & software.

I don't have a Zire myself so I really don't know what to suggest. Confused
sjef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ZIRE 72 FATAL ALERT, FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR Reply with quote

Good to hear I am not the only one with the problem. In my case a zire 72 with a Viamichelin / Kirrio kit. The only way to get it to work is to have the gps sensor disconnected, power up the system and connect it again.
In my case it continues to work for at least a couple of hours, but any interuption to the 12v power supply and it is back to the old error.
Contacted both Viamichelin and palm both are not very supportive. Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: