Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - metroguide v8 i3 compatability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

metroguide v8 i3 compatability
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: metroguide v8 i3 compatability Reply with quote

i hope this as not been asked before ive looked in the forum but couldn't find anything.(i dont want to get told off again) Embarassed

has anyone put maps of metroguide europe onto micro sd card and got it to work! if so did you use img2gp.

when i looked at the compatability charts at garmin.com it says they are not compatable(i mean ther isn't a yes next to i3 under the metroguide europe section. although some of you tell me that this is the map i need to get to spain. thanx in advance Laughing
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think in theory it can ..i know it has been done with mg usa.......
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: metroguide v8 i3 compatability Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
i hope this as not been asked before ive looked in the forum but couldn't find anything.(i dont want to get told off again) Embarassed

has anyone put maps of metroguide europe onto micro sd card and got it to work! if so did you use img2gp.

when i looked at the compatability charts at garmin.com it says they are not compatable(i mean ther isn't a yes next to i3 under the metroguide europe section. although some of you tell me that this is the map i need to get to spain. thanx in advance Laughing

See:-
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40185&highlight=metroguide
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at last i have managed to do it,after countless amount of hours,cigs and cups of tea supplied by my wife i have managed to get metroguide europe fully indexed and autoroutable to my garmin i3.and it was all down to a little program called geodude. honestly this little garmin has nearly ended up smashed into little pieces,it's drove me nuts! but after reading nearly every topic in this forum and others i came across geodude (metrowizz)it then took me all of 5 minutes to get the maps fully indexed and routable i am taking it for a test drive today and if it has done what i hope its done i will go to the site and make a contribution as this is all it asks for(and this is optional) watch this space.

the address for this site is www.geodude.com(i think i'll come back and amend if not. why this program is not widely publicised on this site i dont know it would save us newbies keep getting told off for asking the same questions and getting confused with delete this file move this file here nad save this (etc) i hope this is of use to other i3 newbies.
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry this is is the correct address. http://www.geodude.nl/gps/
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this program only came out in July and I only came across it a couple of days ago. I have tried it and itt was so easy,but i think there is a proble with the results. It is routable but the address search only works on one maptile of the multiple maptiles i loaded. Please can you check your results also?

Can you come back with your results?

I tried the manual method some time ago and i obtained address search on all maptiles!
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont quite understand your last post(sorry) but when i search it doesn't seem to be any different to my original map that came with the 13.

i loaded spain and portugal and could search all cities eg,barcelona,madrid,street names etc.and addresses.but cant seem to find poi's unless the poi's r for this country only.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new POI will be under Food,hotels and More. You will need to view an address in say Spain and then Find nearby.This should give you POI in that area as apposed to the area where you are currently located

I am sorry if my original post ws not clear. The mapset you loaded will be made up of individual maptiles(the larger the map the more maptiles)
to check yours has loaded correctly search for addresses in spain AND in Portugal .Can you get addresses in both area's?
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loaded spain and portugal but it also put a bit of france and gibralter.
this is what happens when i switch on,it says,

where to ,
espana
france
gibralta
portugal

i then select any of the above and then i can search address's in them all
with no problems. i hope this helps as i am quite new to this.

from what i have told you do you think it has done it correctly as i am hoping to use it to get me to spain in a couple of weeks,thanx for taking time to answer my questions Smile
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me! To test try and simulate a route(turns GPS off).

Looks like i will have to try the wizard again!
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep everything fine on simulate route works perfect forgot to mention that i had already done that Laughing
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried metrowizz again and loaded 3 different countries and i can address search all 3 with full POI.
I am a happy man again!
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go if it works for mine must be right then(thank god) need to get the info out there to other novices like myself Laughing
mrplebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
way to go if it works for mine must be right then(thank god) need to get the info out there to other novices like myself Laughing

Can you post a fool proof way you done using MetroWizzz for lamemans like myself when you have time, i have a garmin i3 recently purchased and really getting into this satnav in a big way, i even put it in the car for short journeys where i allready know the route too, like my mothers.
Laughing
I am planning to tour europe with a caravan in the not too distant future and dont fancy shelling out loads on maps from garmin and metroguide maps seem the alternative.

What are the quality of metroguide europe maps compaired to city navigator europe v8

Dave
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metrowizz is a map tranfer wizard. It tells you what to do at each step. It is very easy to follow and is almost foolproof.
You however must make sure that once you first install Mapsource that you get the free update of the Mapsource site to make sure it works with the wizard.

step 1 - obtain copy of Metroguide USA or Europe and load it on pc( this will also load Mapsource)

step 2 - update copy of Mapsource to latest version( free from mapsource)

step 3 - download metrowizz and install.

step 4 - start Metrowizz and follow instructions

step 5 - You should now have a working Metroguide on your Satnav which is routable and index(address search). You should test it before you go on your travels

People should also be aware of the following limitations

1 - It doesn't do Roundabouts very well. Instead of saying take 1st turning it will only say turn left but the map on the screen does show the roundabout and therfore use the voice and screen together

2 - It can take 10- 15 secs to tell you if you have made a wrong turn before it recalculate.

3. Nothing much els

the PROS are

1 Very Cheap

2 Routable and address search including POI(hotels fuel etc preloaded) as long as loaded with metrowizz or similar

3 Good feeling you get for beating the sytem!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: