Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C710 Problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C710 Problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Mio C710 Problem? Reply with quote

I am a satnav newbie and have just bought a C710. Apart from a few teething problems getting a connection to my PC for speed camera updates and then subsequently having to reinstall the Miomap software and maps due to some sort of bug, I am relatively pleased with it.

However, one problem I have noticed is that the voice command and "distance to next turn" do not match my location and the location displayed on the map. The map appears to represent my location very accurately but on his first announcement, Thomas (and the distance display) tell me that I need to travel 200ft further than I need! When I approach the junction to turn onto, this distance is now about 80ft.

Is this a bug, a fault with my unit or an inherent problem with satnav devices - seems too much to be GPS error though?
Any ideas / help would be greatly received as Mitac have not replied to me at all - which now after reading this forum, is not a surpruse to me!!
Thanks
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already replied to this post! Cant work out where it's gone...

Hate to say it Budwin but I think you've got a dodgy unit. The 710's a great unit. A friend of mine bought one and it arrived yesterday and I can confirm that the behaviour you describe is NOT normal. My 510's never done this kind of thing. I cant think of any setting other than 'keep position on road' that may affect this and even that's unlikely.
I'd suggest swapping the unit with the retailer quickly before they try and get you to send it back to Mio...
WooHooo..
---------------------------
budwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ravi. Obviously no-one else has any views on this problem (or their replies have also gone elsewhere like your first Confused)

I too thought it may be something to do with the "keep position on road" but when I switched this off it didn't make any difference to the problem. Turned it back on as it didn't look very good on screen when the arrow was wondering on and off the road!

Emailed the reseller for a return no. and they have referred me to Mitac. Reluctant to phone Mitac at premium rate costs as I don't want to incur extra cost for something they probably can't fix over the phone. Especially as they haven't replied to or acknowledged any of my emails from 3 days ago!!!

Before I email the reseller again does anyone else agree with Ravi that this is probably a fault with my device and not a bug with all C710s or Miomap v3.11?
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budwin,
Whatever you decide to do, don't be fobbed off ino returning the unit to Mitac. If you bought it only recently (a few weeks), you are entitled to a new replacement unit under consumer law and don't have to send it to the manufacturer.
If it goes back to Mitac, you may be without it 6 to 8 weeks. I had a old Mio 168 that went wrong (screen died) and they took 2 months to repair it!
WooHooo..
---------------------------
budwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravi
Thanks for the advice. Just to see if Mitac have any suggestions / fixes, I will try to contact them by phone, but using their head office no. rather than their premium rate one - as someone else suggested on one of the forums (all I've got to do is find the no. in the postings!)
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Faulty unit Reply with quote

Hi Budwin,

Ravi is quite right and you should be able to return the unit to the retailer you bought from. I returned 2 faulty C510s in the last 6 weeks (for problems other than what you have mentioned) and received a third unit end of last week. This unit seems to work perfectly well. Not sure who you bought from but i got mine from Globalpositioningsystems and they have been superb and no quibbles in returning and sending me new units. I also gave up on waiting for replies to my emails as i sent several over the last 6 weeks and have still not received a single reply from the shower at MIO/MITAC. The only contact i had with them cost me £7.40 in a premium rate call and despite assurances that the problems had been looged (spoke to Jose) and escalated to 'MIO Internal', i have to this day still heard zilch. In the end i had no choice but to assume the units faulty and return them, all due to a complete lack of Customer care/support from MIO.
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Faulty unit Reply with quote

Sorry Budwin,

can you elaborate on the speedcam update probs you had as i had something similar with both the units i returned, and as i mentioned elsewhere, i am convinced that duff batches/units are in circulation.
budwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrax
I logged onto the Mioclub web page http://www.mio-tech.be/mioclub/speedcams/index.php and activated my account and I then downloaded the latest Miosync v1.2 software. However, I had immense problems getting my 710 to connect to my PC and when I tried to synchronise my device using Miosync it couldn't upload data on its final pass and gave me an error message in the toolbar notification area.

I thought this may be something to do with Activesync not working properly so I updated the copy I already had on my PC to v4.2. Not sure whether I needed to do this as it still doesn't connect using Activesync, but it now does get recognised as a Windows CE USB device!

I can't remember exactly at what stage of my problems it occurred now, but following an inital attempt at updating the camera database, my Miomap (map icon) became greyed-out on my 710. I tried a soft reboot and then several hard reboots (one after leaving the device overnight) but to no avail. So I had to reinstall Miomap from the supplied DVD. Next problem was that the maps had gone so I then had to reisntall these. Again at this stage I had a few problems, as for some reason when I ran the install program from the disk it stated that none of the maps were available and that I had to contact Mitac :x.

I thought this strange so I persevered! Unfortunately I can't remember again how I did it but I think I connected the device first and then put the disk in the drive, then ran the install prog and (hey presto!) the maps were available again Confused

Since then I have managed to connect and update the camera database with no problems, but what a faff!!

One uncertainty I still have though is whether anything is actually being updated. As far as I know there is no way of knowing what version of database you have installed on your device? When my 710 is connected to my PC I seem to get very regular (at one stage about every hour) notifications that there is an update to download. I synchronise the device and miomap starts up by itself and I assume something has been done Question

Sorry my recollection of events may not be perfect, but I hope it helps!
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Faulty unit Reply with quote

Hi Budwin,

the problem i had with the first two 510s i received was similar but not exact. I actually connected with the database ok and even got all the messages telling me that the new info had been uploaded to the device and to restart miomap to ensure latest data was being used. When miomap restarted, all that had happened was that the entire camera database had been deleted from the flash memory and not a single camera was left on the unit. All i could do was reload the miomap software to retrieve the original out of date camera database. I tried several times and eventually even the maps had been deleted out of the memory. It was at this point that i gave up on both units as being part of a faulty batch and returned them. The third unit has v3.11 loaded and has worked perfectly well since i received it about a week and a half ago. I did nothing different but the camera database downloaded no probs. I have also added, via bluetooth, the English female voice and this too worked fine. I truly believe you are wasting your time with mio (lack of) support and feel you should persevere with insisting the retailer replaces the unit. Good luck.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budwin wrote:

One uncertainty I still have though is whether anything is actually being updated. As far as I know there is no way of knowing what version of database you have installed on your device? When my 710 is connected to my PC I seem to get very regular (at one stage about every hour) notifications that there is an update to download. I synchronise the device and miomap starts up by itself and I assume something has been done Question

The 'notifications' do seem to be excessive, but I can confirm that updates are actually happening. Comparing the latest speedcams downloaded today with a download I did last Tuesday the 25th, there are 11 cameras removed and 7 new ones added.

Sal
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Distance to Junction Reply with quote

Hi Budwin,

As far as I can tell the distance to junction appears wrongly on roads with a slip road exit because the maps regard the junction as being the point where the roads split whereas the road signs display the yardage to the start of the slip.

Mine does this on all roads of this sort but is perfect on single carriageways etc. Try it again and see if the distance to junction is zero at the point where the tarmac is split...

Ian
Swordsmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:

The 'notifications' do seem to be excessive, but I can confirm that updates are actually happening. Comparing the latest speedcams downloaded today with a download I did last Tuesday the 25th, there are 11 cameras removed and 7 new ones added.

Sal

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how are you able to figure out what is going on in the updates?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swordsmaker wrote:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how are you able to figure out what is going on in the updates?

It's not something that you can do on the unit. You have to copy the speedcameras.mtc file to a PC and write a program to decode it. You'll find some notes and comparisons with the PGPSW database in other threads.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: