Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Too Many databases ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Too Many databases ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Too Many databases ? Reply with quote

I have just installed TT5 onto my PDA ... and the speedcamera database. Although I feel I may have 'too many' databases.
I have installed:

pocket_uk_gatso.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso-30.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso_40.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso_50.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso_60.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso_70.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso_tba.ov2
pocket_uk_gatso_var.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile_20.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile_30.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile_40.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile_50.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile_60.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile_70.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile_tba.ov2
pocket_uk_redlight.ov2
pocket_uk_sc.ov2
pocket_uk_specs.ov2
pocket_uk_specs-20.ov2
pocket_uk_specs-30.ov2
pocket_uk_specs-40.ov2
pocket_uk_specs-50.ov2
pocket_uk_specs-60.ov2
pocket_uk_specs-70.ov2
pocket_uk_temp.ov2

Do I really need all of these, or are some duplicates ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are duplicates in that list.

sc.ov2 has ALL the cameras in the 1 File.

Gatso, Mobile and Specs OV2 Files have the same cameras as the Speed Zoned Files.

You have in fact got 4 more Files than you need.

Also you would get up to 3 warnings for the cameras if you gave all of them a Warning Sound.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got duplicate sets of data loaded, it would appear you have all three database types installed.
If you want to run the speed zoned set-up (the best option in my opinion) simply delete the following files:

pocket_uk_gatso.ov2
pocket_uk_mobile.ov2
pocket_uk_sc.ov2
pocket_uk_specs.ov2

You also appear to have a file missing, the latest download contains the following file:
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba.ov2

Mike
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will delete the files you mentioned .. what do I need to do to set up 'zoned' .. any tips
I had the database running OK with TT3, just upgraded to TT5 today, and 'starting' afresh.
Do I assume I still use Checkpoint ? ... have downloaded ver 5
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With TomTom version 5 you can use the inbuilt POI Warning system, I wouldn't bother with the CheckPOI application.
If you want spoken alerts for the cameras have a read through THIS to use the alert system you need to configure each of the camera POI files within Prefrences/ Manage POI/ Warn when near POI select each camera in turn and configure the options, the only thing to watch is the Warn if POI on route check box, only select this option if you drive with a route selected, if you drive around with no destination set (no route) the system will not alert you to the camera if you have selected the box.
If you want to use more warnings with the version 5 software have a look at POIExtend and some of the voice files available from HERE , as always if you are going to mess around with the device and software make sure you have fully backed up th unit first - Mike
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Chekpoint, but I would certainly recommend POIWarner which I understand to be similar in functionality. Far more flexible than just relying on TT poi warnings. (Double,adjustable warnings just one advantage) Coupled with POI Edit makes a cracking system....IMHO.
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
With TomTom version 5 you can use the inbuilt POI Warning system, I wouldn't bother with the CheckPOI application.
If you want spoken alerts for the cameras have a read through THIS to use the alert system Mike

Thanks Mike ... went to this page, but all files listed are for TomTom Go ?... is there a separte list for TT5 ? or can you advise which file I should use.

ver is 5.210
being used on iPAQ 2750
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are files for the TomTom Navigator on the same page, scroll down to the Download Version Table, reading left to right you will see Palm, Go/Rider/One then PPC (Pocket PC), the file you need is in this list, there are two different versions available for the version of TomTom you have, to make sure you get the correct one check the Build number loaded on your device (tap the sat strength bars, then tap the area of screen that shows the version number, this action will display the bulid number, it will be either 5430 or 5431, once you know this simply download the file you require from the look up table - Mike
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There are files for the TomTom Navigator on the same page, ...snip...5430 or 5431, once you know this simply download the file you require from the look up table - Mike

easy when you know how :-)
Didn't realise PPC equated to TT for PDA (bit thick I guess)
It was 5430 .. I'll go get the file

You advise removing Checkpoint, and installing and configuring this instead ? .. assume the instructions are easy enough to follow, I'll give it a go.

Thanks a bundle for your help
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still confused .. the instructions say (and show screen snapshots) that show the first step (after backup) is to rename the data.chk file on SD card.

The install has not put a data.chk card in root of SD card, what is there are a number of folders:
Great_Btitain-map
Tom Tom
nvapp
pocketpc
Licenses
Tom Tom contacts Navigation
Tom Tom Navigator
and 2 files ..
Blutooth manager .txt
TomTonNaviagator.asx

Within the folder TomTom are the beeps, bell, cow etc. ... should I remove these from the 'Tom Tom' folder and put them in root of the card ?
There is a data.chk file in this folder, there is also a data.chk file within the folder 'Tom Tom navigator' .. this folder contain Navigator.cfg and the TomTom.exe

So wanted to know which one I need to replace, and if I need to move files out of 'Tom Tom' folder
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slight error in the contents of SD card what is there is 9 folders
Great_Britain-map
Tom Tom
itn
nvapp
pocketpc
Licenses
Tom Tom contacts Navigation
Tom Tom Navigator
Voices
zip
and 2 files ..
start.exe
TomTom update.cid
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file you have downloaded needs to be re-named to data.chk

The data.chk file installed on your device is located in My Device/ Program Files/ Navigator folder, locate this and re-name it to Old_data.chk.

The downloaded and renamed data.chk file needs to be placed into the My Device/ Program Files/ Navigator folder, either use copy and paste with the PDA docked to the PC to accomplish this task, or copy the file to the memory card, then use cut/ paste on the PDA to move the file to the correct location.

Once the above is complete soft reset the PDA (stylus in the reset hole - just give it a prod), this action clears the old data file from the devices memory, when the PDA re-boots run up TomTom and configure the Warn When Near POI which is found in the Preferences/ Manage POI area.

You need to configure each camera type for a warning, use the "Test" button to listen to each sound to find the one that is applicable to the camera you are configuring (I would recommend you write the cameras down, or use the list above to tick off each camera type as you configure them, this simply avoids confusion), if the sound is incorrect for the camera type you are configuring use the left/ right arrows to advance through the sounds until you find the one you are looking for.

As for CheckPOI I would remove it, the inbuilt POI warner does a good enough job in my opinion, but each to there own, some users love it, others find it causes problems with the display flashing, I don't see any use for it to be honest.

I hope the above helps out - Mike
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a go ... the instructions say to put the file in root directory ofthe SD card, which was the part that was throwing me - i'll try your way.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: