Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 910 mp3 player
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 910 mp3 player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: tomtom 910 mp3 player Reply with quote

This tomtom GO 910 is absolutely useless !
Let me explain via a list of things why I think this

1) You cant control it via the remote (why bother having a remote there then ??)

2) You cant stop the music. A simple STOP is simply not there. You have to pause it and hope it will switch off iteself

3) You cant forward mp3s. Another very simple option missing.

4) It likes to get stuck when ou put in too many songs (by too many I mean 200+). I got an error all day today "An error occurred during audio playback" when I tried to play an mp3. Of course, my whole trip today was spent listening to trucks and other passing traffic. It wasnt fixed until I added another mp3 in the list and it recalculated the number of mp3s in there ! How awful is that.

5) Its slow to react. Turning volume up, changing track ... too slow and plainly annoying !

6) Theres generally a lot of bugs in it. Take this one; all day the other day it refused to shuffle songs even after I reslected the shuffle button, turned on/off the mp3.

Why is tomtom forcing us to keep a paperclip with us. I spent well over £400 on this uni and am not impressed. The mp3 player is just a gimmic ... as much as I have tried to be friends with it ... it isnt being friends with me

Someone please enlighten me ... I would much rather that than have to replace the unit as the gps is fine.

Thanks
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry the first line should have read

"This tomtom GO 910 MP3 PLATER is absolutely useless ! "

because the actual GPS is fine Smile
vickyarcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the exact same experience as you, so much so that I have stopped using the MP3 player on my 910. I found using it made the unit very flaky, would reset itself during use every other day.

I have contacted Tomtom support about the unstability of the MP3 player, as well as other software problems I have experienced including:-

Irratic volume levels (one day 70% is loud enough to be heard during normal driving, another day I have to increase it to 100% to hear it)

Handsfree only works sometimes, Approx 1 out of 4 times I use it I will have to remove it from the car dock to be heard by the caller, replacing it on the dock disables the microphone (I have an external mic plugged in, this happens with 2 different mounts and 2 different phones)

Despite having "show tips" unselected I still occasionally get a tip displayed at start up.

Clock keeps losing time.

MP3 player doesn't find all the songs in a playlist (although they are all there and it can find them when you list songs not playlist)

MP3 player shows "there has been an error during audio playback" when resuming playback on most occasions.

Also had to disable the GPRS function (no plus services for me) as I found the tomtom would occasionally when pairing with my phone open an internet connection and download something, resulting in charges on my phone account. This happened with 2 different phones too.

Tomtom's response after many emails that they seemed not to read (i.e telling me to select "hide tips" and to upgrade to 6.11 when I had already told them I was using that version) was that they wanted my unit back to repair/replace it but that I would have to be with out it for 10+ days, I told them this was unreasonable but they are adamant that is all they can do. As I need my 910 for work I am reluctant to let it go back and am hoping that the next software update will improve matters.

After having 11 months hassle free 700 ownership it has left me wondering what have I gained by upgrading to the 910. I do like the unit, the sat lock is much better and the text to speech is great but am saddened by it's iffy software, poor mount design and lack of knowledge from customer support.

Roll on the next update, lets hope things get better.

Vicky
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer a fish platter myself :D

1) dunno never used the remote for anything other than turning off other peoples tomtoms when stuck on the m25 and bored Twisted Evil

2) Surely what it does already is a stop, ie you pause it and it dont make any more audio sound.

3) yeah i agree its nice to be able to rewind and fast forward

4) havent had that problem and have well over 200 tracks

5) it can be like that sometimes but i dont get it all the time, mainly after a few hours of use, might be a memory leak and thats why it is doing it.

6) dont use shuffle

To be honest the unit is a GPS unit first and its top for that, yes some of things are a side dish some nice (imho mp3 and audio books) and some not so nice (picture viewer and ipod).

If you want top quality mp3 control and options then you buy a dedicated mp3 player, but you will still need the gps system i suppose for the occasional user the mp3 is great but will never be up to the standard of say an ipod. But you do get less wires and 1 unit to carry about.

Just my 2cents.

Regards

Peter
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Peter : After having forked out a lot more for the 910 rather than a 710 I would expect the mp3 player, one of the main extras for 910, to be totally up to scratch. Its not difficult ... if apple can make a nano that small with gb's in it then why cant tomtom do a good job.

They should really have stopped at the GPS because their mp3/audio book/pictures option is a complete waste of space. Its a gimmick and had me fooled thinking its good because of the companies reputation. I guess their marketing skills worked and they fooled me into buying the 910 and spending a lot more than than 710.

I probably wont be buying a tomtom again. Theyre popular, look cool and the GPS works very well but wuth the mount problems and now this ... I cant be bothered with the hassle. Ive had a Garmin for about 3 months TOTALLY hassle free and the software was great too.

Tomtom really need to buck their ideas up otherwise ppl like me who always though tomtoms were good will be anti-tomtom and also let others know.
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i agree if thats the reason for the upgrade between 710 and 910.

The reason i chose the 910 was down to the HDD as the cost between the 710 plus decent SD card and 910 was not that great. Also having the extra maps might come in useful. The mp3 was a nice option but not my main reason for getting the 910 over the 710.

Also its a new product i am sure like any company in the IT market as updates become available more and more fixes will become available and features added. The only thing i can suggest is to keep letting tomtom know the issues you are having so they can fix them.

Regards

Peter
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they bring out fixes soon otherwise its byebye tomtom and hellohello someone else.

Thanks for your posts Smile
UKMoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fast-forward music by holding down the "next" button.
UKMoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda

I think you need a replacement.

FWIW, my 910 works great in my Corvette and I certainly think the mp3 player is a very useful addition to the unit - better than carrying hundreds of CD's around.

I dont get any lag when changing tracks and whilst I agree a few gui changes may be in order, the player works fine on the whole, I wouldn't be without it. ( I play mine through the car's speakers via a tape converter. all hardwired.)

With regard to the changing volume on the mp3's - bear in mind that the mp3's may not have been ripped at the same audio volume or bitrate, this can make some files seems louder or quieter.

Not sure why you would want to use the remote for anything much, personally never have - I use a finger Smile

Not sure about getting stuck with 200 songs, I have 1600 with no problems. hmmmm.... the unit HAS to re-scan the music folder for new music - this is only done after a reboot or after connectiong to HOME,AFAICS. Computers do the same, albeit faster.

As you can see, I'm delighted with the 910 and dont't seem to see these problems. There are one or two things I would recode maybe, but all in all the 910 does it for me on all counts.

TT Customer Services are your route maybe.

Regards
Phil
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil

I think youve got a special 910 or something because when I was at the motor show the first thing I did when I saw the 910s on display is check out how their mp3 players functioned. You guessed it - they were functioning pretty much the same as mine ! So I dont think the unit is faulty at all, just the way it is. Plus other folks have also had the same problems Im having so it cant have been just my unit.

The remote - I was hoping I could use it while on the move so that I can just press forward, rewind, stop etc (all the simple operations) without actualyl having to take my eye off the road. Also, its annoying to have to go back to the mp3 player itself from the maps and then all the way back again just to change a tune. I tried that the other day because I wanted to hear a specific song. It got so dangerous that I had to get off at a service station, change the song and then be on my way again. Had the remote been functional with the mp3 player, I couldve messed around with it without havint to take my eyes off the road or change from gps maps to m3 player on the device. Also, its not the best thing for datime driving - the light really does obstruct the viewon display even though Ive wobbled it around at different angles. The garmin was not half as bad.

Readers : If theres anything better, in your experiences, than tomtom then please do let me know ! The Garmin nuvi is definately a candidate when it comes to changing.

Thanks
UKMoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda

With regard to the "speed" of the 910 in changing tracks etc, I really can't complain there - maybe 2 seconds before the next tracks starts.

I agree the mp3 controls need a recode to make it easier to skip tracks, FF and RW select new artists etc. I also know what you mean about taking your eyes off the road to fiddle with the controls, but then again, I drive a Corvette so I'm used to living dangerously ;)

Phil
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough ... i drive a vw golf v5 so I have to be sensible Laughing Out Loud Any pictures of the corvette btw ?

Yeh the whole 2 seconds feels like 2 years. Because for a milisecond it feels like you did nt press the button ... and when u pres it again it skips to the next song ! And u have to shuffle back and get the same problem Laughing Out Loud. I guess Im used to it changing instantly. My alpine mp3 head unit was soooo good (I dont know why I sold it !)

Thanks for your replies

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: