Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A way to check if you have latest maps!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A way to check if you have latest maps!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: A way to check if you have latest maps!!! Reply with quote

Whilst reporting a map error on the Teleatlas site, I've noticed they've upgraded the way you insert the info. They now have a map were you can see the existing roads and input the map error. Check out the link below:

http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/cfl?ClientId=MapInsight&Language=en&PlaceFindCountry=USA&PlaceFindPlace=Boston&PlaceFindAdministrativeArea=MA

I presume the site has the latest Teleatlas maps so if you compare these with the ones you're using with TT you should be able to see if you own the latest ones.

By the way, congratulations Teleatlas - great new way to inform errors!!!
Synth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported to them over a year ago that the cul de sac I live on wasn't on the map and that the next one has a bad spelling mistake. The street I live on is shown now but is a grey line with no name, the adjacent street still has the spelling error.
However I have heard that mapping companies put in some deliberate errors so that they can tell if someone copies their data. I am coming to believe I live in an error.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was quite interesting for me to see this. It showed exactly why TomTom 632 makes several annoying routing errors. The maps show some road junctions as far more complicated than they really are turning a simple crossroads into something resembling a full two motorways junction. In some of the "slip roads" they have one direction signs added or missing.

One junction where I regularly turn right always gives me the command "turn left then make a U turn" as it sees the right turn path as one way in the other direction.

Another in the centre of Elstree has a no right turn but the maps show a through "slip road" to the right.
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synth

The same thing happened to me in the past - the map errors I passed to TA were not corrected in later map versions!- but I'll give TA the benifit of the doubt, maybe this time thigs will actually be corrected - the new error reporting system makes it much easier and more efficient for TA to pinpoint the problems and make corrections. My fingers are crossed so lets see what happens!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly true that cartographic companies may include deliberate mistakes in their maps so that unlicensed copying can be detected and proven. Although Ordnance Survey have said they don't use intentional errors they do use another form of 'fingerprinting' and about five years ago the AA had to pay Ordnance Survey £20 million pounds after they were caught copying OS maps.

However I think it unlikely Teleatlas would use deliberate mistakes that could affect navigation ie over complicating road junctions or misnaming streets. After all their reputation is built on the accuracy of their road mapping and information. If they do use intentional errors it's more likely to be features that aren't on necessarily on roads.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: