Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 5 Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 5 Software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Tomtom 5 Software Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking to buy a PDA, and Tomtom 5 software to install.
however im having problems finding the software on CD to buy. it seems as if the software is sold by pre-installing on memory cards.

can anyone help me?
i just want to buy the software and install it on a memory card myself and use it on a PDA - "Mitac Mio P350 Digiwalker Pocket PC".

thank you
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you buy on sd card you can still move the map and application to a new bigger card if you want to

the other option is to buy the maps of western europe and this will have everthing you need

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i did have a look at buying the entire europe cd...
but, the problem i think i might have is makinging sure it will be comptable with the PDA i want to buy.

on this website:-
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/tomtom-navigator-5-software-and-maps-of-western-europe-including-gb-description.html

it has what i need, but it says that the Tomtom software will not be comptable for Mio P350. is that right?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN5 works perfectly with the Mio P350. Just bought one myself and so pleased with it I'm buying one for my son for his birthday.

Configure it to Other NMEA - Baud Rate 4800 - GPS-COM
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for that lost_Property.

im a bit confused.. what do u mean by "Configure it to Other NMEA - Baud Rate 4800 - GPS-COM"?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
im a bit confused.. what do u mean by "Configure it to Other NMEA - Baud Rate 4800 - GPS-COM"?

When you start TomTom you'll go to the map. Bottom right of the screen you will see 5 'radio bars' (they turn white the more sats you are locked on to). Tap on the bars and on the next screen tap in the large white area on the right of the screen.

Now you will see the GPS Status screen. Tap on Configure (bottom left). Tap on the left or right arrows until Other NMEA appears then tap Select.

The Baud rate should show as 4800, if it shows other than 4800 you can use the slider to correct it. Click Done.

Now tap on GPS_COM.

Take the unit outside. You should see a small blue/white wheel rotating top right. This tells you it's searching for a signal.

Next a number of grey circles will appear across the bottom of the screen followed by grey bars from bottom to top, one for each satellite. Wait until the grey bars turn blue and you will have a lock.

The first time you do this you may have to wait several minutes but after that the locks will become quicker. The locks can vary according to how long since you last used it. If it's overnight you'll probably get a lock in under a minute.
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so very much for the explaining it for me.

i think, having looking around, i think it would be best if i bought the P335, the software with Europe and a 2GB memory card. that way it will work out cheaper for me

i just hope i can install the software on to the meory card without any problems.
i'll let u know how i get on.
thank you all for your help.
Cheers!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that the link you gave http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/tomtom-navigator-5-software-and-maps-of-western-europe-including-gb-description.html is what you need.

I assume you haven't purchased your Mio P350 yet. Be aware that it comes without a SD Card and there is no case/pouch included.

The P350 will take up to a 2GB Card.

Personally I'd recommend the Kingston 1GB SD Ultimate x133 Card (20x read/write speed compared to standard cards 4x read/write). Have a look here http://www.choicestationery.com/acatalog/Secured_Digital.html
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i havnt bought anything yet. i didnt want to rush into buying anything and then have problems with it.

is 1GB card going to be better the 2GB card for P350?

do i need to buy anything else apart from the memory card, the software and the P350?

i am hoping to order it all today or tomorrow
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My typing is slow and I hadn't realised you had answered.

Quote:
i just hope i can install the software on to the meory card without any problems.
You'll get 2 discs with your Mio. One will install the latest ActiveSync for you.

TomTom is quite straightforward to install.

Insert first disc, to Install the software.

Then choose Install maps, faster if you can use a Card reader. When you choose the map you want it willl tell you which CD to use.

Let's take GB maps of which there are 2, the GB and the GB plus maps. The difference is the Plus maps have the Major Roads of Europe included. Shortly after (several seconds) the GB map has been installed the Full Postcode Search Zip folder should automatically install. If it doesn't you can select it yourself.

You then choose the next map you want to install, say France, which is disc 4. Again you get a choice of France or France plus.

You only really need one plus map on your SD Card and only you can decide which is best for you. Personally, as I travel to France quite often, I chose the GB map and the France Plus map. The reason is I can select the France Plus map before leaving home, select my destination and be guided over the Major Roads of Europe through GB and on arrival in France have street level without switching maps.

Once all the maps you require have been installed you will have to add an empty folder to the SD Card and name it tomtom, otherwise full Postcode search will not work.

Now you can go to the TomTom site and download the Free software update to 5.21.

That's about it. Good luck.
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud.. it all sounds soo technical.... thank you. u r so kind.

i think i will understand it more once i have it all in my hands.

I was thinking of putting france on it to.
i just want the others, just is case we go for a holiday.

i'll let u know how i get on.

thank you so much.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is 1GB card going to be better the 2GB card for P350?

do i need to buy anything else apart from the memory card, the software and the P350?

No real difference in the 1 and 2GB cards. How many maps do you plan to install? I have installed on my 1GB, GB maps, GB Postcodes, France plus map, GB Safety and Congestion Charge files and have 520.2MB Free. A 512MB card would have been OK but if I want to add picture or music files I have plenty to play with.

The 1GB Ultimate Card is around £37 and and 2GB £76

All you need is the P350, TT Software and SD Card.

A case/pouch according to how you feel about carrying it.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are obviously a faster typist than me Ellemaid.

A lot of things are easier said than done but you will find, when you get all your bits together, it's actually easier done than said. :P

Good luck. Any problems just come back to your post and I, or many others will be able to point you in the right direction. CoPilot
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you.

i shall be back.
hopyfully with good news.

enjoy ur PDA
:D
Ellemaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

can someone help me pleaseee?

i have tried to install the software on a 1GB SD card... but its giving me soo many problems.... when i start the Tomtom software on the P350, oit says there is no map found, but the SD card has got the software on it.

i tried deleting what was on the SD card to re-install it... i thought i was successful, but when i try installing it again, i get a message that there is insufficient space on the SD card. i have activated the software to the PDA, and it worked for about 10 mins... i dont know what i have done. it must be something very stupid.. but i dont know how to solve it.
i am sooooo stuck. i want to just re-install the whole thing, but i dont know how to delete what is on the SD card. i tried putting the SD card into my Laptop slot to format it, but it wornt format it for some reason.

can someone please help... have i ruined the SD card?

thank you

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: