Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help*how to install uk maps onto go 700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help*how to install uk maps onto go 700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: help*how to install uk maps onto go 700 Reply with quote

Hi guys

i am trying to help a mate , his go 700 has frozen, so ive tried to install the software again, but it says no maps installed, anybody can tell me kindly how to install them manually onto the go 700? and are there any latest maps on here to install? a quick guide/links would be great.

thanks alot!

Dave
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: help*how to install uk maps onto go 700 Reply with quote

dave25 wrote:
Hi guys

i am trying to help a mate , his go 700 has frozen, so ive tried to install the software again, but it says no maps installed, anybody can tell me kindly how to install them manually onto the go 700? and are there any latest maps on here to install? a quick guide/links would be great.

thanks alot!

Dave

The 700 did not come with backup maps. If your friend had backed up the hard drive onto a pc, he simply connects the 700 to the pc with a USB cable, where it should be registered as an external drive. Then copy/paste the saved maps onto the 700, using windows explorer. If there is no saved backup of the original map, you will need to go through Tom Tom, since protection will prevent a copy of any other map being activated on that particular device.
dave25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive managed to install the firmware again and can see tomtom hardrive on my pc, next question is how to install the maps, i do have a copy cd with Uk maps, says tomtom navigator 5.21 great britian plus map. do i copy the whole directory on the tomtom?

thanks
dave25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it allow me to install other tomtom maps? or do i have to have the original 700 maps? which i dont! is there no other way i can install some maps?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might allow you to install the maps, but it will ask for an activation code. If you get one from www.ttcode.com he will take over the ownership of the maps. The original owner will no longer have access to upgrades etc.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
dave25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i want to at least try copying them manually? shall i copy directly onto the root directory? or the full map folder?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are trying to do is illegal and a breach of the EULA. Advise on it is against the forum rules. As an earlier poster says - ask Tom Tom to try to sort it out.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave25 wrote:
ive managed to install the firmware again and can see tomtom hardrive on my pc, next question is how to install the maps, i do have a copy cd with Uk maps, says tomtom navigator 5.21 great britian plus map. do i copy the whole directory on the tomtom?

thanks

The Navigator 5.21 Great Britain plus map is not an original map for the Go 700, which came with the seamless map of Western Europe installed, (if it were originally sold in Europe.) It looks like somewhere down the line, your friend has either bought a dodgy 700, or is trying to load pirated mapping, or both. We can't give any help in this situation.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and even if you do manage to get the map onto the hard-drive, the copy protection built into the 700 will prevent you from activating it. So you will be able to see that file residing on the hard drive, but it wont display. Only when you have a registered 700, and registered mapping, can you get the activation code from Tom Tom which will allow the 700 to access the map. And there's no point in asking for anyone else to give you a code. This is generated by Tom Tom themselves, and is valid only for the individual pairing of the specific machine, with that particular Cd or SD card.
dave25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a dodgy machine as far i am aware, i have managed to activate it, ive found the product and device code! on the cd cover, the actual cd's been lost, but its working so far! thanks for help anyways

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: