Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 700 in Spain - A joke that isn't funny
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 700 in Spain - A joke that isn't funny
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nascar9 wrote:
I'm thinking of buying maps of Spain but not sure reading this.
gadget_sa you say the coverage of Spain is up to 99%.
I take it that is on new/updated maps.
Is there a product code so that I can be certain to get the 99% coverage ones.

Hi Nascar9,
I was merely quoting figures from TT's Website.

If you look at the PRODUCTS, and then the MAP COVERAGE page under each one, the Go 700 quotes 86% coverage, where as the 910 quotes 99%.
Surely this means they have updated the maps on the new models?? Well thats my reading of it!!
If they have, why haven't they released them for others?

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert
nascar9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got TT customer service number, I'm going to call them to clarify the map situation.
lloydd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF:

If the 510 file layout is the same as Navigator, this would have created a folder called (something like) "Iberia Map". You then copied this folder over to the original card? Then within the application you chose Iberia under Switch Map? At this point the 510 hangs?

You are correct. I put the Iberia Map folder together with the "virgin" image of the WORKING Italy Plus + European main roads folders. Now I can see the IBERIA map in the change map menu. But here is where the problems start. Once I could insert the activationcode and that it hang (today the customer service told me that it was activated though) and I can not restart the TT since it auto turns off itself. An another time when I did the same thing it hang when I choose the Iberia map from the change map menu.

At the phone the custemer service gave me the following solutions today:

1)try on another pc
2)try without antivirus
3)download the softwareversion 6.15 (I have 6.11 which I thought was the latest).

Btw, can I install the Spain map on a clean SD card without any other software and change it during the ride when I enter Spain so I can use it there anyway???

NAscar9: I have the following phone number which they provided me with today: number 0039-0245281004 (Monday-Friday; 10.00-17.00) also in English.

Thanking you in advance for your participation of this problem
lloydd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that in the Iberian map folder there are two files missing which I can see in the Italy Plus Europe main street folder are present:

tmcode
traffic

In the Iberian Mpa folder however I have two files which arent inside the Italy plus map (which is normal working without the Iberian maps copied inside):

Iberian_PLUS.mpr
Iberian_PLUS.pna

WOuld this be of any help to you?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydd wrote:
I found that in the Iberian map folder there are two files missing which I can see in the Italy Plus Europe main street folder are present:

tmcode
traffic
If you don't have "Hide extensions for known file types" switched off, there's a good chance that you don't have "Show hidden files and folders" switched on. I suggest you do both!
lloydd wrote:

(which is normal working without the Iberian maps copied inside):
Can you clarify this? Are you copying the Iberian maps INSIDE the Italy map?
lloydd wrote:

In the Iberian Mpa folder however I have two files which arent inside the Italy plus map (which is normal working without the Iberian maps copied inside):

Iberian_PLUS.mpr
Iberian_PLUS.pna

WOuld this be of any help to you?
I just want to point out that I'm using TomTom Navigator, so my information may not be relevant to your 510, but here goes:

I think that in your "Iberia Plus" folder, which in Navigator would be in the root of the SD card, you should have:

cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
faces.dat
iberia_plus-hhhhhh.mac (hhhhhh=long hex number)
iberia_plus.mid
iberia_plus.pna
mapinfo.dat
poi.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat

I hope this helps!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
lloydd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hide extensions for known file types is switched off
Show hidden files and folders is switched on

Both maps packages are installed into the general directory and not one in the other as you probably thought from my explanation.

When I use TomTOm Home for installing the Iberian Map I do not find a
iberia_plus-hhhhhh.mac (hhhhhh=long hex number) inside this map. There are also some other files missing. It seems like the map does not get completely installed on my SD stick. EVEN worse is that the SD stick I got with the package doesnt work, not even after formatting it. (copied saved).

Can I install the Iberian map on an empty SD stick and change it during the ride? How to do?

thanks a lot
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nascar9 wrote:
Anyone got TT customer service number, I'm going to call them to clarify the map situation.

From the UK 08451610009

Good Luck and let us know how you get on!!

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydd wrote:
Hide extensions for known file types is switched off
Show hidden files and folders is switched on
Good!
lloydd wrote:
Both maps packages are installed into the general directory and not one in the other as you probably thought from my explanation.
Good!
lloydd wrote:
When I use TomTOm Home for installing the Iberian Map I do not find a
iberia_plus-hhhhhh.mac (hhhhhh=long hex number) inside this map.
This may be related to the license and may only be created once you use the map.
lloydd wrote:
There are also some other files missing. It seems like the map does not get completely installed on my SD stick. EVEN worse is that the SD stick I got with the package doesnt work, not even after formatting it. (copied saved).
Still not sure what files should be there. Possibly someone with a 510 could post Question

lloydd wrote:
Can I install the Iberian map on an empty SD stick and change it during the ride? How to do?

thanks a lot
What did you mean by:
lloydd wrote:
If I install the map (using the exe.file which comes with it) to a empty SD stick it works but as soon as I put back my Italian map with Europe main streets I will not see the Iberian map in the change map menu.
If you put in the SD card with only Iberia on it, what happens? If the application runs, can you get in to Switch Map and choose Iberia?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
lloydd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking to install the Iberian map, together with the voice map and the TOMTOM system file to a SD card so I can run this map separately. I didnt try this yet though.

I mean that if I install the Iberian map, using the extractor inside the map or TOmTOm home, to an empty SD stick it will be installed (this is what i mean it WORKS) however if i try to install the same map to a SD stick with another map on it, it will not get installed. To me this is all very strange and it looks like some kind of driver problem.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydd wrote:
I was thinking to install the Iberian map, together with the voice map and the TOMTOM system file to a SD card so I can run this map separately. I didnt try this yet though.

I mean that if I install the Iberian map, using the extractor inside the map or TOmTOm home, to an empty SD stick it will be installed (this is what i mean it WORKS) however if i try to install the same map to a SD stick with another map on it, it will not get installed. To me this is all very strange and it looks like some kind of driver problem.
Is it possible that you are running out of space on the card? What about duplicating the Italian card, removing the Italian maps folder and then installing the Iberian maps to that card?

lloydd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought that this was a good idea and so I did but also now my TT hangs when I choose Iberia map.

I think that I will go on holiday to spain without this spain map.

I will try to get shipped another SD card from tomtom since the one they supplied me with is not working. Even not after formatting it.

BGF: I would like to thank you for your responce and patience.

lloydd
lbarea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff261159 wrote:
Got back yesterday from a 2 week stay on the costs del sol, took my TT700 with me and must say I ws very impressed. Took in a day trip to seville via ronda on the way and via malaga on the way back, no problems with finding car parks and other useful POI's. No problem with the mount sagging either! I guess I must be lucky!

Me too, I was very impressed with the go910 in costa-del-sol Gibraltar area.
nascar9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called customer services today & well while trying to be helpful the guy I spoke too was talking company speak.
The only good news is that map upgrades will be available in his words not mine "one or two or maybe three weeks time".
They will be 99% coverage/accurate for Spain & elsewhere.
So we will just have to wait I guess.
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nascar9 wrote:
I called customer services today & well while trying to be helpful the guy I spoke too was talking company speak.
The only good news is that map upgrades will be available in his words not mine "one or two or maybe three weeks time".
They will be 99% coverage/accurate for Spain & elsewhere.
So we will just have to wait I guess.

Well done Nascar9!
His words are on the right track... "one or two, maybe three weeks time..."

But I think this is what he was trying to say......
"Maybe four, possibly five, could be six. Actually, we don't know when, we'll just tell you anything to keep you happy, and then make you pay through the nose when it happens"

Now that would be a correct answer from them!!! Wink

nascar9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my diplomatic hat on when I posted the above.
When I was talking to the guy at TT I told him I was not impressed with the update system & also the repeated updates to fix flaws in the previous updates that didn't work.
gadget_sa
Re the maps you're right about paying through the nose for them & then if & when they are available they probably won't work.
TOM TOM are you listening, we are not impressed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: