Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Strange... Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive just picked up a new i3 from comet, expecting it to be of the new variety, i.e maps inside.

It wasnt, which is fine, it comes with firmware version 3.00 and audio 2.5.

Well I was under the impression that 2.5 was only shipped with the internal memory models?

When I try and upload my poi's and speed camera database (I used to have an i3 a little while ago) I keep getting the message "There is not enough space on the GPS to store all the points of interest. Please reduce the number of points and try again"

Now there's plenty of space on the card, around 60mb, and the pois on disk take up a couple of meg. Its not a mistake with the card because I tried turning on the unit without it and it asked me to give it some maps.

Any ideas?
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, sounds like you leaving the card in the i3 and are not using a card reader/writer with POILoader to load the POI's?

I have the very same unit from Comet (2 weeks old) - the above works for me - I have 44k custom POI's loaded to the card.
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitelife ..you must be doing something wrong mate...my one week old i3 from comet came with a card and i loaded my pois with no problems...
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible that you do have a new one with internal memory but they also supplied a transflash card by mistake.
In which case make sure you select the external card on th POI loader drop down list
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk_graham wrote:
Hmmm, sounds like you leaving the card in the i3 and are not using a card reader/writer with POILoader to load the POI's?

I have the very same unit from Comet (2 weeks old) - the above works for me - I have 44k custom POI's loaded to the card.

I never did that on my old one, just connected via the USB cable and it went through the unit without taking the card out. I didnt know you could even copy them onto the card directly (if thats what your saying).

zogman wrote:

nitelife ..you must be doing something wrong mate...my one week old i3 from comet came with a card and i loaded my pois with no problems...

Yeah I know what you mean, you cant really go wrong can you? Just plug it in fire up the loader and away you go (usually!).

Beerbellybill999 wrote:

Its possible that you do have a new one with internal memory but they also supplied a transflash card by mistake.
In which case make sure you select the external card on th POI loader drop down list

Thats why I tried turning it on without the card, but it says to connect to a pc and download maps.

If I use gstart then the poi loader doesnt ask me to select a device. If I load it manually using windows explorer I get Streetpilot iŁ (Unit id xxx) and Removable disk E:, which is the card reader in my printer.

Any other ideas???

Confused
RiTSo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an answer but I've had the same problem as you are experiencing!

I posted about it in the Garmin newsgroup yesterday:

Click Here!!

I just reset my unit and was going to try the advice above to see if it works.
RiTSo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beerbellybill999 wrote:

Can't see this option at all in the POI Loader!

When the POI Loader bootsup I can only press next, this then takes you to the screen with three options, BROWSE - to locate the folder on your PC, UNITS - to set KPH or MPH and MODE - Express or Manual.

Never any option for Unit/Card available that I can see.
RiTSo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitelife wrote:
If I use gstart then the poi loader doesnt ask me to select a device. If I load it manually using windows explorer I get Streetpilot iŁ (Unit id xxx) and Removable disk E:, which is the card reader in my printer.

I don't see anything when I try to access the unit via Windows Explorer, just have my normal drives available.
RiTSo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing a bit more digging Ithink the answer is that you cannot write directly to the memory card via the i3 unit. If you try to do this the data will only be written to the unit itself.

It seems that a card reader/writer is required to access the card directly.

Details can be found HERE!

As an aside it also appear that the latest version of PoiLoader is flawed slightly and the recommendation is to stick to v2 for the time being, which can be found HERE.

Looks like I'm going to have to get me a card reader and/or adaptor to sort this out!
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbish, just called Comet to tell them what is happening and they told me to call Garmin directly as they are the approved repairers and they wont take anything back if opened!

That doesnt sound legal, and the number they gave was wrong!
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiTSo wrote:
After doing a bit more digging Ithink the answer is that you cannot write directly to the memory card via the i3 unit. If you try to do this the data will only be written to the unit itself.

It seems that a card reader/writer is required to access the card directly.

Details can be found HERE!

As an aside it also appear that the latest version of PoiLoader is flawed slightly and the recommendation is to stick to v2 for the time being, which can be found HERE.

Looks like I'm going to have to get me a card reader and/or adaptor to sort this out!

Ahh ill give that a try then, maybe there is yet a new hybrid version which has memory and card usage somehow.

Just backing up my card now!

Just in case you've got one without realising, alot of mobile phones come with sd card adaptors these days, thats what im using to read mine in my card reader...
RiTSo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitelife wrote:
Just in case you've got one without realising, alot of mobile phones come with sd card adaptors these days, thats what im using to read mine in my card reader...

I reckon I must have every type of card, every type of adaptor and every type of slot available......ecept this one!!

Just got a new SE K800i, but that uses the M2 memory from Sony, didn't get an adaptor with that though anyway!!

Let us know how you get on.
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W O O O H O O O O O ! ! ! !

I think that worked!! Laughing

This is NOT the way it worked with my previous Garmin I3, and actually seems quite silly to force you to use a card reader to update with!

Im not impressed with Comet trying to fob me off though.

Ahh well, ill bear it in mind for the future! But im happy for now!

Just gotta do a little more testing to make sure im not going mad, but I can see stuff in Custom Points..

so, so far so good. Gonna go outside so it can work out where I am and then test it.

Good luck!
RiTSo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could post me your adaptor???

Laughing

Glad you're sorted out any way!!
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a card reader and we might be able to sort something out Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: