Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What a load of junk TT Traffic is
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What a load of junk TT Traffic is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: What a load of junk TT Traffic is Reply with quote

Having bought and ditched the TT TMC receiver (because there is permanently no reception on a 100 mile stretch of the M! I use every week), I then invested in a TT GPRS based traffic subscription. This is a joke. It nearly always gets it wrong. Just this week I did a return journey Leeds to Oxfordshire, mainly down the M1. On the way the M1 was closed and traffic diverted, it cost me about an hour. Even the overhead gantries were reporting it, which is a first in my experience of them actually saying something useful. TT Traffic had no mention of it, 0 mins delay. On the return journey, TT reported a 4 1/2 hour delay on the M1. Radio 2 didn't make a mention of any problem, likewise the overhead gantries. Sure enough there was nothing. TT must try really hard to be able to get it wrong so consistently.

Now I know from following forums there are plenty of other similar experiences. Is there anything we can do. I'm not particularly interested in getting my money back, I'm more concerned about my time and energy. I spent ages getting the mobile GPRs connection working. Surely TT can be taken to task over their miserable performance on traffic and something done. I used to use TrafficMaster systems over 10 years ago and they were infinitely better even then. I used to divert from the M1 in absolute confidence that what TM was telling me was real.

Tony
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used to use TrafficMaster systems over 10 years ago and they were infinitely better even then. I used to divert from the M1 in absolute confidence that what TM was telling me was real.

I don't know. I remember 10 years ago charging down the M4 from Cardiff only to be told that the traffic around me was at a standstill for 4 junctions one day. The truth was no-one was going under 50 mph and traffic was light.

However i have noticed a lot of complaints about TMC recently which is something i was considering.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it works it is quite good, I have tried both the TomTom and Garmin systems over a number of months.
Garmin, the reception was great and the traffic hold ups quite accurate, what I didn't like was the inclusion of traffic incident information from hundreds of miles away. Sadly since the firmware/ software update in January this year the Garmin RDS - TMC has not picked anything up.

TomTom, the reception is pathetic, unless you are sat next to a transmitter aerial. To overcome this you can modify the receiver at the cost of your warranty. The information it provides was/ is quite often out of date, it is better these days but there is still room for improvement.

The whole issue of RDS-TMC is a joke in the UK, firstly we are located in a country with poor transmitter coverage. Next is the problematic receiver’s often poor design and expected to work within the confines of the car.

The big issue is who to complain to - you buy the device from TomTom or Garmin their units receive information provided by iTIS or Traffic Master, which is transmitted to your receiver via transmitters owned by someone else.
There are too many people in the loop, I am not saying they hide behind one another, but it is too difficult to pin the fault on any one individual.

I for one do not trust it at all, I use both the Garmin and TomTom units, but I find the radio information and the large gantry signs on the motorway equally as effective, and more importantly they are accurate. If the set-up ever gets resolved I am sure it will be a good system, but RDS-TMC is in its infancy for now. - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Quote:
but RDS-TMC is in its infancy for now

I just can't believe that the manufacturers can sell the Sat Navs with the selling emphasise based on the function of TMC.

I have had day's when i go down the motorway to London and the screen is full of red lines and signs and other day's - nothing.

The biggest joke of all seems to be the aerial, when for instance Garmin, know that UK signals are weak at best, why do they supply that silly bit of "string" to stick across the windscreen horizontally.

Garmin website has a picture of the "string cable" aerial stuck to the screen in the view point out, that if it was a crack, would fail an MOT.
If we fitted it as shown I'm sure a copper some where could make it a "nickable" offence.

Garmin, TomTom and the rest, get your act together, this is a disgrace, you are selling a function of your product and charging extra for it, under false pretences.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Quote:
but RDS-TMC is in its infancy for now

I just can't believe that the manufacturers can sell the Sat Navs with the selling emphasise based on the function of TMC.

[deleted]

Garmin, TomTom and the rest, get your act together, this is a disgrace, you are selling a function of your product and charging extra for it, under false pretences.

Well... I've made a complaint to Advertising Standards and Watchdog. I'd encourage everyone else to do the same. Especially Watchdog, since I suspect it's the squeaky wheel syndrome will kick in. If plenty of people complain, they'll look at it.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

but I find the radio information and the large gantry signs on the motorway equally as effective, and more importantly they are accurate. - Mike

I don't know how you can say that. I travel the M1 every week and 4 times out of 5, no exageration, they are wrong, usually warning of something that's long gone.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam happy with TMC on my Sony now that I have sorted out the aerial. The only slight problem is if you plan a route with TMC and the road clears it will replan even when the road problem was and now is behind. This is down to the Navigon software in the Sony which hasn't changed for over a year (1.05).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: