Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bus Lane Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus Lane Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Bus Lane Cameras Reply with quote

These things are EVERYWHERE in London and there is a £100 fine for driving in a bus lane (quietly increased from £40 about 12 months ago).

The cameras are mounted up high and can be difficult to spot, though the bus lanes all have signs warning that they use camera enforcement.

They will get you if you drive or park in a bus lane, I know quite a few people who have been done already.

Maybe we should consider a bus lane camera database?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question begs asking....

If you knew you shouldnt have been in the bus lane why were you there?
Matty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an Ex-Coach driver, anybody that got in my way on a Bus Lane (Within restriction limits) were fair game!!!! SmileSmile

If you are driving Illeaglly in a Bus lane, and you are hit by a bus/coach you are not insured. Mr. Green Mr. Green

Speed cameras yes (we all do a bit ott at time)

Bus Cameras nah...easy.... just don't drive in them!
Matty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about spelling, hit Submit and not preview...d'oh!! Hmmmm no edit buttons ??????

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Question begs asking....

If you knew you shouldnt have been in the bus lane why were you there?

And if you weren't speeding then you wouldn't need a speed camera database. Rolling Eyes
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus lanes could be useful as an early warning.

If you know a bus lane is approaching you will have more time to look at the sign to see if it only applies on certain days or at certain times.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty wrote:
If you are driving Illeaglly in a Bus lane, and you are hit by a bus/coach you are not insured. Mr. Green Mr. Green

That is not true, unless you have a very unusual insurance policy.

As for warnings on bus lane cameras, little point as many buses now have cameras installed to catch those in bus lanes.
jaguar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty wrote:

If you are driving Illeaglly in a Bus lane, and you are hit by a bus/coach you are not insured.

That can't be true, though I can see why you as a coach driver would endorse such a policy Smile

There's one bus lane I habitually use because the authorities had no moral right to put it in in the first place (two lane road dual carriageway which is chokka every day and if you ever see a bus, it has two old geezers and a dog in it). I'll gladly pay the fine once in a while rather than add 15 minutes to my journey every day. I know where the camera is and avoid it appropriately.

An interesting point to note: I know of someone who was successfully prosecuted for driving in a bus lane when he went around a car which had stopped to turn right in the outside lane. He was in the lane for less than 10 yards but they still did him. If that isn't bloody-mindedness I don't know what is.

Getting back to POI warners, in the main I reckon that we should keep the number things about which we are being warned to a minimum. One tends to tune out the warnings after a time when there are so many. I'd remove bus lane cameras from the overlay file in the same way that I remove red-light cameras.

Jaguar
Laze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one road with a new buslane that I travel down regularly where the busses are held up for far longer by traffic trying to get into the outside lane before the buslane and camera location than they ever were by the traffic previously.

I am sure turning a slow moving dual carridgeway into a carpark for everyone seemed a good idea.
Matty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused here??

How is this possible that you are insured for putting your vehicle in a place that is not legal.

A similar scenario is parking on Double Yellows, Red Routes or ZigZags, if you are hit you are not insured!! I Know this as I had to scrape a hooge red line down a back street in London in a Coach when someone had illegally parked. This was done under the express instruction of a Police Officer, when I went to offer my details (It hadn't marked the coach btw) the Policeman said there is no need as he is illeagally parked therefore voiding insurance which covers only things that are legal.

Same as not declaring 19" Alloy wheels or engine modifications, have an accident and you hadn't disclosed them then this voids your insurance.

So how can driving ILEGALLY in a Bus Lane be totally different?????

Insurance isn't the big back up some of you think it is, there are so many get out clasues it's scary!!

Perhaps that if you were hit by a Bus in a Restricted Bus lane, then perhaps you can claim on your own insurance, but NOT on the person i.e. Bus that hit you, as the question is why the heck were you driving in a bus lane and breaking the law.

Would like to hear from an Insurance Expert or a Traffic Police Officer, and not just an opinion to get the absolute definite answer.

Quote:

There's one bus lane I habitually use because the authorities had no moral right to put it in in the first place (two lane road dual carriageway which is chokka every day and if you ever see a bus, it has two old geezers and a dog in it). I'll gladly pay the fine once in a while rather than add 15 minutes to my journey every day. I know where the camera is and avoid it appropriately.

If we all thought that way then the Bus Lanes would fowl up instantly and bring Buses to a Halt in rush hours....why are you different to any of the rest of us. If you tried to nip up my inside whilst I had the patience to queue, I can assure you you wouldn't find a way past Wink
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

If you modify a vehicle you have not disclosed all the risks when you create your policy, which voids the terms and conditions of your policy.

If you perform an illegal act whilst driving that will not indemnify your policy unless it specifically states so. If your illegal act causes someone else to have accident, you may be to blame, but your policy will still cover you.

You can always check with your Insurance company if you are in doubt. Asking a traffic officer will be of little use as he will not know the terms and conditions of your policy.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty wrote:
How is this possible that you are insured for putting your vehicle in a place that is not legal.

A similar scenario is parking on Double Yellows, Red Routes or ZigZags, if you are hit you are not insured!!

Nonsense. You are still insured regardless of what you are doing. And driving in a bus lane or parking on a yellow/red line is a civil offence, not a criminal one.

As for the cop who told you not to bother giving your details, you would have a reasonable defence in that you were directed by the police and you offered to give the police person your details but they declined to take them. This is up to their discretion, but if someone had reported it then the cop would have been in for a .
jaguar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty wrote:
I Know this as I had to scrape a hooge red line down a back street in London in a Coach when someone had illegally parked. This was done under the express instruction of a Police Officer, when I went to offer my details (It hadn't marked the coach btw) the Policeman said there is no need as he is illeagally parked therefore voiding insurance which covers only things that are legal.

Sorry Matty, but you're not right.

The police officer, in this case, acted illegally. It is not within his gift to decide who is to blame for an incident, and you as a bus driver have no right to damage a vehicle that is irritating you. It is the same when a police tow truck damages a vehicle they are removing. Even if it is illegally parked they are responsible for its care and can be (and have been) sued if they damage it. I shudder to think about the misconceptions that you and your colleagues are labouring under while driving our roads Wink

And as to 'why the heck were you driving in a bus lane and breaking the law?' the reason is simple. There are good laws and bad laws. Deliberately placing a bus lane where it causes hours of untold misery for hundreds of people to the benefit of the of a few old geezers in an occasional bus is, to me, morally indefensible. I therefore choose to break the law at my own risk. It's a bad call and I challenge it. That is my right. It is only by citizens taking action in a public manner that bad laws are changed.

Interestingly, it is not your right to impede my passage on the Queen's highway, even if I am teeing you off - you'd be the one breaking the law! Laughing

Jaguar
Matty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interestingly, it is not your right to impede my passage on the Queen's highway, even if I am teeing you off

Who said anything about rights??? I would just do it and "tee" you off even more!! Laughing

This impedeing thing, I think you will find it only applies to PCV's. Any way I don't give a monkies now about buses/Coaches, I drive trains, get in my way and I hit your car there and you'd have a hell of a lot of explaining to do Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
jaguar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty wrote:
This impedeing thing, I think you will find it only applies to PCV's. Any way I don't give a monkies now about buses/Coaches, I drive trains, get in my way and I hit your car there and you'd have a hell of a lot of explaining to do Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Happy If I end up anywhere in my car where your current conveyance can hit me, I'm gonna sue Tomtom!

Jaguar

Hmm ... thinks ... unless I decide to park on a level crossing and get my sandwiches out. 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: