Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT navigator v mobile difference?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT navigator v mobile difference?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: TT navigator v mobile difference? Reply with quote

I've just received my PDA and mapping software.

I ordered TT Navigator 5 (for Western Europe) and that's what it says on the invoice. But I have received a TT Mobile 5 DVD.

Is it the same package?

BTW; the Mobile 5 DVD is marked: 9A00.004.5

Thanks in advance.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Further clarification Reply with quote

The DVD I got with my PDA came packaged with booklet, which I've now looked at in greater detail.

The booklet says "Mobile 5...part no: 6A00.009.2" on one side - on the other side it says "GO series, ONE, RIDER, NAVIGATOR 5". On the outside of the plastic packaging there's a sticker that says "9A00.004.5".

And finally, the DVD itself does NOT state either Mobile 5or Navigator 5. It simply says "Maps of Wester Europe" and "part no: 3A00.010.5"

I suppose the numbers are version numbers, but TT don't seem to make things easy to understand. Why all the different flavours; RIDER, ONE etc? Surely navigating on the roads as a rider is the same as a driver!

And, if the installation procedure is the same for all flavours, then why print a part number that infers it is for one specific version

I will soon be purchasing the USA maps, so I want to order a compatable flavour. Can I order either of the above?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its the same hing ust install the maps from the cd and download the lastest verison for pocketpc from tomtom intsall this only then add the maps

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alix, but apart from saying MOBILE and NAVIGATOR are the same thing, I found it diffuclut to understand your reply.

If the flavours are the same, can I order the USA maps on SD for ONE/GO/RIDER curently on www.globalpositioning.co.uk for £119.96?

You'll note the above item description fails to mention MOBILE or NAVIGATOR. I don't understand TT - if these flavours are the are the same they should say so! So too should any re-sellers.

What do mean download from Tomtom? Surely I have all I need on the Mobile 5 DVD?

Still confused, and a little miffed at vendors who decribe goods vaguely...
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one basic and important difference between Navigator and Mobile. Mobile does not allow touch screen input, only keypad. Therefore for PDA with touchscreen you need to use Tomtom Navigator.
Version 5.2 can be downloaded free from this link.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=3361
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mullet - at last a piece of useful, tangible information! I will not therefore be buying Mobile 5, but isn't that what I've got? (see second posting describing my DVD and booklet)

Why are you steering me towards downloading version 5.2? Isn't the new software that I received only 2 days ago up top date?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phineus wrote:
Thanks Mullet - at last a piece of useful, tangible information! I will not therefore be buying Mobile 5, but isn't that what I've got? (see second posting describing my DVD and booklet)

Why are you steering me towards downloading version 5.2? Isn't the new software that I received only 2 days ago up top date?

To be honest I cannot figure exactly what you have got there. However v5.21 is the most recent version of Navigator. This version is necessary if your device is WM5 hence my suggestion (what device do you have?). Install this, set up bluetooth, load the map then activate. That should sort you out.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add.
Though Navigator and Mobile are different applications, the maps are compatable with both.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest I cannot figure exactly what you have got there. However v5.21 is the most recent version of Navigator. This version is necessary if your device is WM5 hence my suggestion (what device do you have?). Install this, set up bluetooth, load the map then activate. That should sort you out.

My PDA is the Mio P350, running WM5, so touch screen capability is what I want. Indeed this is what I asked for. Perhaps the DVD is Navigator 5, it's just that the packaging and enclosed booklet say Mobile 5.

I'm at work (on nights) at the moment, so I can't download the software to find out for sure. Perhaps I better call Handtec tomorrow and ask them, but I was just trying to confirm I had the correct software (Navigator 5) before I downloaded and activated.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you but I would use the link I gave. You will then know for sure you have TTNv5.21 (WM5 compliant) direct from Tomtom. There are plently of posts regarding installation problems after first installing TTNv5.0 on a WM5 device.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mullet - I will use the link you sent me.

In fact I've already emailed your posting to my home so that when I do download and activate the DVD I can subsequently use the link to download TTN5.21.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW While I've got someone knowledgeable.

Regarding the USA maps on SD for ONE/GO/RIDER curently selling for £119.96 (http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/tomtom-maps-of-usa-on-sd-for-one-go-rider-description.html).

I'm thinking getting this SD card for my holiday to USA and subsequent trips to canada. Is this OK? Is it compatable with TTN5.21?

Thanks.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As discussed TTN5.2 is the version needed for WM5. One potential problem is, this version only works with "newer" maps. I dont know the cut off date but the version number for USA/CA is v567 (AFAIK). Meaning you need v567 or higher. Heres the rub. Tomtom do not display this information on the packaging. I have not looked at your pricing, but if the cost quoted is significantly cheaper, consider if this may be old stock clearance? Try to get the info from the supplier, or maybe stump up the extra direct to Tomtom to be certain.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mullet.

I've sent 5 questions to www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk regarding the version number and compatability with TTN5.21 - I'll let you know the outcome.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to load the DVD (maps and application) onto my PDA from my laptop. Experience has taught me that things seldom go according to plan (or scant documentation) with technical issues. And so it is again.

I'm connected (via USB) PDA (with 1GB SD card) to my laptop. I've selected to download maps (that being first on the list), I've then selcted GB, then Pocket PC, but then I get the error message "cannot connect to your device".

I suspect it is soething to do with Com ports and/or Baud rate. I've have the following defaults on the PDA 'GPS program port: com4' and 'GPS hardware port: com2'. I have tried variations, but the permutations are numerous. Could anyone tell me what my settings should be, or if I need to do anything else?

The Tomtom documentation comprises 1 large pictorial sheet - no words!

Thanks
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connection between PC and WM PPC is achieved via ActiveSync.
Latest version http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx
Use this to install the Navigator application. ActiveSync is terribly slow and glitchy, so transfer you map data to storage card via a card reader for speed and reliability.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: