Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 510 / 710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 510 / 710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some progress on this but it will take more time. It is no accident that there is no simple way to import other databases: from what I have found so far Mitac have deliberately gone out of their way to make it difficult as possible.

rronaldson wrote:
I have a BT-USB adaptor which I haven't got installed on my PC. If I can get it working would this enable me to see the files on my Mio?
Reg

To keep the sysops happy this should really be a question for http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=106, but in short you need a BT 2.0 dongle and better software than XP provides as standard. You'll find details if you browse.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all.

Message to rronladson.
You are right to assume that if you got the BT working on your PC you can see/transfer/edit files on your Mio.
I've only got an old v1.2 and this works, but boy is it slow. Had to do a complete install of European maps and it took over an hour and twenty minutes. But it it did work. :D

Message to Sal.
You appear to have a battle on your hands with their software. Hope you crack it.
I think I can safely say you have our full support and you should be commended for your efforts so far. Thumbs Up
neutral
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sallyann

"from what I have found so far Mitac have deliberately gone out of their way to make it difficult as possible [to import camera POI data]"

What sort of things have they done? Encrypted it? Split the attributes into a number of different files?

Can you tell anything by manually adding a test camera (through the GUI) with known attributes, and then comparing the before / after state of the POI file(s)?
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neutral wrote:
Can you tell anything by manually adding a test camera (through the GUI) with known attributes, and then comparing the before / after state of the POI file(s)?

AFAIK this is what Sal is doing. I'm taking a similar approach but I suspect Sal is far ahead of me, as I've not been able to spend much time on it this week.

Fingers crossed!
APMorton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my C510E for 4 days now, sorted out a few minor problems (speed warnings, voices etc), but the speed camera Db seems way out of date. I don't think you would be wasting your time in developing this feature. Go for it.

APM Smile
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neutral wrote:
Hi Sallyann
What sort of things have they done? Encrypted it? Split the attributes into a number of different files?

The basic list of cameras is relatively easy to read once you have worked out how it is encoded, and I have created a utility to read out all the included locations. I can also update the file partly or completely with a new list. The problem is in getting the device to accept the modified list. I understand why this is, but I need to do some work to get around it and this will take time.
I can't say any more about it than this because the software design is Mio's property and I would be liable to prosecution if I published details of it.
If necessary I will continue to work on this until I can generate a tool that will create a suitable file from the PGPSW database, but there are two better options:
1. Mio should allow the device to import camera (and other POI) files on the same way that other manufacturers do. It would be perfectly possible for them to release a software update that users could install to do this.
2. If POI Warner were to release a version for Mio map 3 as they have for version 2, this would solve the problem of importing files AND provide the extra facilities of that excellent program. I hope they are working on this right now.
If you agree with my suggestions then the best thing you can do is to contact both companies and urge them release the necessary patches.
-Sal
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a phone company, so i can get a free call or two every so often ;)

I'll give them a call tomorrow. I cant for one second believe the dozy oiks havent built in the ability to import external POI files (.asc being one for example!)....

Paul
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toibs wrote:

I'll give them a call tomorrow. I cant for one second believe the dozy oiks havent built in the ability to import external POI files (.asc being one for example!)....
Paul

Good luck Paul. When I called them I spoke to a 'support' person who didn't know what a POI database was! I had to explain it to him at £0.35 a minute while he wrote it down, and then waited on hold while he went and asked someone else my question (who couldn't answer it either). You couldn't make this stuff up could you!
Sal
(have answered your pm)
neutral
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote

Quote:
The problem is in getting the device to accept the modified list

Ahh. Checksum? That would be tricksy of them.

As you say, the best thing would be for Mio to open the platform. But I don't think they will, as they expect the speed camera updates to be an easy revenue stream for them. I will mail them however.

Anyway, please carry on and keep us uptodate with your efforts. A C510 / 710 with the PGPSW database would be a great combination.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional problem is that the device uses two different file systems, one for speedcams and another for other user-created POI's. The second actually looks easier to resolve but I have been concentrating on the speedcams.

Sal
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POI suppled with my 510 is pretty useless anyway so an alternative source would be very welcome. Restricting users to Mio's own POI and SC databases is going to backfire if these remain inadequate as people won't buy them.
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the subject of POI's than Cameras, but I found this tool posted on another forum:
http://www.pdamill.com/~fable/poiconvert.exe
It converts the POIs in the iGO.db file on the C510/710 to a google earth .kml file, and allows the .kml file to be re-imported back into the iGO.db file (which is a SQLite .db file).

So I'm going to write a small program to convert the .csv files available on POIHandler to the .kml format - I should then be able to convert them to the .db format using the POIConvert tool.

Hope this helps... it should be possible to convert speed camera files in the same way... but there'll be no warnings as the Mio will see them as POI's, not speed cameras.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to do that then I suggest you read this review first:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/iGo2006.php
It'a an excellent review of the iGO software which is basically what Mio Map 3 is. It mentions POIEDIT.EXE.
If you download sqlite from http://www.sqlite.org then you should be able to import a camera list directly without using a conversion utility.
However as you say it will only display camera positions without warning you of them. I for one don't want to drive around watching the screen for upcoming cameras, so I haven't followed up that alternative.

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
It mentions POIEDIT.EXE.
Sal

Sorry, I should have said It mentions POICONVERT.EXE

Sal
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal - if you can get this to work, I'll love you forever.
Well, "longtime" anyway!
OK - until I get my next speeding ticket - but hey, its the thought that counts!!:D

Keep up the good work!

Ron

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: