Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayrtonsenna wrote:
having had the same problem getting my tmc 12 working in the car with my nuvi 310 and reading the problem and solution to it, i decided to buy a new charger from ebay. for the princely sum of £2.99 i got one and it has solved the problem for me, even in my 02 mondeo with heated front screen.

If this was purchased from an Ebay trader, can you give use the item number so we can try to obtain the same model?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Found a couple of items that may be of use if you plan to boost your signal using your car aerial. The first one is a splitter by Autoleads PC5-105.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/images/PC5-105.jpg

http://thebassbin.co.uk/shop/product/products_id/993.html

The other item is an inline amplifier.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-SEAT-SKODA-AERIAL-ADAPTOR-SIGNAL-BOOSTER-NEW_W0QQitemZ220072869557QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14932QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The one for VW-SEAT... is probably NOT an inline amplifier. I am a long time VW owner (GOLF, BORA, PASSAT) and I believe I am right in saying that ALL VW (and hence SEAT and Skoda derivs) for quite some time have had a rear roof mounted amplified aerial. VW radios supply the necessary +12V up the aerial lead to power this. The adapter shown is to allow you to use your own radio which probably won't supply power. The flying lead you see on the adapter allows you to connect power to the aerial lead.

If you do want to tap into the aerial lead of a VW.. you need to be aware that the conductor you need (centre of COAX) is connected to +12V and take appropriate action (a 0.1uF capacitor will do the trick).
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjones wrote:

What has everyone else got with their 660? I've noticed that traffic reception is slightly better with this new unit Confused

I got a GTM 21 with two LEDS. One indicates power and is always green.. The other is yellow whilst scanning for signals and green when receiving - unfortunately I upgraded to the latest TMC version on my 660 and only seem to get Classic FM and nothing else.
Woody7985
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation I have read with great interest just about all of the messages in this thread - sad or what. Actually very frustrated or what.

I have worked my way through 4 different Nuvi units, 2 x 310D's, a 660 and now a 360T, over the past 3 weeks. Thanks to the guys at Halfords for their assistance! By the way the 360T is from Curry's as Halfords don't sell them.

I have also invested in a GTM 10 to try to resolve this TMC problem.

Cutting to the chase - today I took it upon myself to carry out the following experiment.

My power cable is a 6017. When using this, the GTM 10 cannot boot past the flashing amber lights. Therefore it will never find a signal.

I ran a mains lead to the car and plugged in the mains charger (standard issue with a 360T). Started up the Nuvi and the GTM 10 booted straight through to a solid green.

I also connected using the supplied USB cable to a Palm 12v USB charger which gives out 5v and, you guessed it, the green light appeared in no time at all.

My conclusion here is that there is indeed a power issue here to get the GTM receivers to work in the first place.

However, I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire, and so far have never been able to get any traffic reports on any of the units listed earlier. I think that the transmision issue is much more worrying as this could potentially take years to resolve.

I have been in touch with Garmin by email this weekend and await their response. Don't hold out much hope though!! Which is a shame, as I have used TomTom on Palm Tungsten and Nokia N70 and would consider the Nuvi a superior product, but only if the TMC works!

Good luck all
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find Garmin will supply you the new "6025" car charging cable, which will eliminate some of the problems you've been having.
lexicon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody7985 wrote:
Exclamation I have read with great interest just about all of the messages in this threHowever, I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire, and so far have never been able to get any traffic reports on any of the units listed earlier. I think that the transmision issue is much more worrying as this could potentially take years to resolve.

I never received any traffic updates in that area when I first got my 310 last september. However, around november last year it started working as a result (I understand) of the relevant radio station fixing it's transmitter. About two weeks ago it went off again Rolling Eyes
steoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help...I have read all the post and i still cant get traffic working. Right i have the following:

Nuvi 360 - Latest SW version 3.5
GTM 12 Traffic Reciever.

I have plugged my nuvi into LAPtop via USB charger, gone to hidden menus and can see on the GTM status page that my traffic reciever locks onto ststion 136 (101.1 FM) and i can see the message counter incrementing , and recieved loads on messages. The signal level was 36.

However , and hers my problem, when i push the traffic icon on the NUVI , i just get the message "NO TRAFFIC DATA AVAIABLE" (EVEN THOUGH MY MESSAGE COUNTER IS INCREASING??)

I have an RAC unlimited subscription when i check the settings page

any ideas help would be greatly , greatly appreciated
PlaneApart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the GTM12 software upgrade released this week - v4.00, but also see this thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=53201

You've got the Classic FM blues!
PhilR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that there is an update (3.6 dated 14/3/07) on the garmin website. Does this improve things?

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00538-01
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the TMC forum that TT are replacing their TMC hardware. Will Garmin do the same?
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
I see from the TMC forum that TT are replacing their TMC hardware. Will Garmin do the same?

I wish... Sadly Garmin support seem adamant that not only does the GTM-21 work fine in all areas, but that they're unaware of any problems with it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44
Page 44 of 44

Jump to: