Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Mr_V forgot to say also make sure you update the software on your Nuvi 310D to the latest version as there updates to the GTM.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: GWR signal Reply with quote

hannick wrote:
As I live at Bristol and drive around the Bristol, Bath, Swindon and Gloucester areas for a living I would expect to get a decent signal, living and working as I do in an area surrounded by stations on the list.
I can certainly tell you that with the newer car charger you will get a signal in and around Swindon, although it was very patchy with the original car charger.

I think the same applies on the roads down towards Bath, but I only drive that occasionally and hence I'm concentrating on driving, not whether my GTM has signal or not Smile
Matt_Paint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New car charger arrived. Plugged it in and tried it - marginally better with signal strength reaching 7 at one stage. The only traffic info arrived as I parked up at home at the end of the journey - very useful.

Sent an email to Garmin UK asking if the new car charger is the final fix and had the following reply:

"The new power cable that you have received is the fix. Trouble is that the service is transmitted over a week FM signal so it can be affected by where you are in the UK. Have you downloaded the latest GTM firmware updates for your unit?"
Mr_V
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded the updates for the GTM, it didn't work at all before, it worked plugged into the laptop after the updates.

I spoke to garmin today, I explained the problems and asked about this new power cable. He said he would send me a suppression kit, is this what I need??

He said to email him if this did not solve the problem.

When I asked if there had been alot of problems, he said "Not really, just to do with reception issues".

Does sound it if you read here!!!
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one problem - reception - but it seems to affect lots of people.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a set troubleshooting procedure you have to go through - the first step in this is for them to send you the supression kit, then if that still doesn't help, they should send out the new car charger (I actually got them in the other order, but that's another story).

I think, to be fair to Garmin, that's he's probably right - the unit itself seems reliable and rarely fails EXCEPT for the signal reception issues. What Garmin don't seem to be willing to handle and deal with is that even after all the new parts and updates, the GTM12 simply isn't good enough for the UK because of the weak signal (which is partly out of their hands).

It's a shame they won't even offer a GTM10 on an exchange basis.
Mr_V
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, so if the suppresion kit doesn't work they will prob send me the new charger. Does the supression kit work for anyone??

Is the GTM 10 any better then? Does that work off a car aerial or something?
harry1968
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 310D from Halfords a week ago and live in Cannock, Staffs. I have driven to and from work in Wiltshire and the GTM12 has worked fine. It has given plenty of warning of incidents on the M6/5/4 and re-routed every time.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_V wrote:
Oh ok, so if the suppresion kit doesn't work they will prob send me the new charger.
They should do.
Quote:
Is the GTM 10 any better then? Does that work off a car aerial or something?
Yes, it only works when connected between the car aerial cable and the car radio. As such, it's a permanent installation, not portable like the GTM12.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a weak signal is a major part of the problem, I thought it would make sense to move the GTM 12 to the best possible position to gain maximum signal strength, (i.e.) along the top of the windscreen away from any reflective coating or tinting, but hit a slight snag! The lead ain’t long enough!
Does anyone know where to get a mini USB extension lead?
Loads with USB type A with mini USB type B, but I can’t find any with a mini connection on each end! Can anyone help?
lexicon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who've actually had some kind of response from Garmin about this issue - how are you contacting them?
I sent a request through "contact support" on the uk website which promised a response in 5 to 7 days - that was 2 weeks ago and I've heard nothing at all.
Beginning to get thoroughly p!ssed off with it :x
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either need to wait a few more weeks for an email response, or ring them and wait upto 30 minutes for them to answer the phone...
ATTILA9000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Scotland and I have to say Garmin's TMC unit performs poorly.I did have problems with the original charger which were quite noticeable in that when it was plugged in I could hear RF interference on talk FM stations(radio 4 etc.).Since I have used the new charger this problem no longer exists. However,the only place on my travels I have been able to receive any traffic info. in Scotland is around the forth bridge ,although all the info. referred only to the south of England and eastern Scotland when I know for a fact there were problems at that time on the M8 in Glasgow. Not impressed. Sad
ATTILA9000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a lighter note,here is one of the hits I got when I googled gtm12

Save drive time, gas, and your sanity 8O by adding traffic services to your compatible Garmin with help of the portable GTM 12
Mr_V
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang them up at lunchtime on monday and apart from their automated service options, i managed to speak to an advisor almost straight away, i guess i was lucky!!

I haven't got my suppression kit yet but I have tried it going to and from work the past couple of days, first time it didn't work. But on the way home it did, i picked up over 400 msgs.....its just not consistent. and not many relevant to my route!

As a side question, if you come across a road closure how do you route around it? Do you jut press the re route button? Or is there another way to avoid a particular road? I was trying out this feature near me (practicing!) however it kept on wanting me to turn around!! or takingme way off route!

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 33 of 44

Jump to: