Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are there any TMC products?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any TMC products?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alturion and Navigon using a GNS GPS/RDS receiver Reply with quote

swing wrote:
If you look at http://www.navigon.de/english/content/navigationworld/produktmatrix/index.html# you'll see that the product with full European maps doesn't have RDS-TMC support, whereas the Busines product with RDS-TMC support only covers part of Europe.

However, looking again now, not only do they not state a restriction on the use of TMC, but all of their English pages show TMC information in London! It would appear that they have released the first TMC compatible software / hardware combination for a PDA for the UK.

Also,
Quote:
if only:
They also supported points of interest with speed warnings, or
TomTom supported their hardware (and updated their data)

I see POI Warner supports Navigon Navigator (although POI Warner does not distinguish between the Personal and Business version, so I'm not sure), so I think it can be used for providing the speed camera database.

It does make this a nice all round solution. From a quick read of the Navigon topic, the main thing missing from their software is a 3d view, although I suspect that will come in time.

Steve
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted!!!!!!

I will give them a call tomorrow and see whether it is for sale....I want it, I want it, and want it now!!!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, their online Shop is selling the product, and they have stopped selling the previous Business MobileNavigator product (which only included maps for the NL / DE area), so I would expect so. The previous product also supported TMC, so it's not new hardware to them so I would expect they are actually able to supply.

I'm interested to know if they have a UK supplier, and whether PocketGPSWorld has any intention of getting a review copy in?

Steve
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the time to speak to them, but personally I am also interested whether the GPS/TMC receiver supports my Medion PPC.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should do, the list of supported PDAs for the Business version (ie the PDAs they provide a cable for as part of the package are:

Dell Axim X5
Fujistu Siemens LOOX
HP iPAQ 22xx/38xx/39xx/54xx/55xx
MyPal 620
O2 XDA / T-Mobile MDA
Yakumo
Zayo A600 / Asus MyPal600

I believe the Medion is a Yakumo clone, so should be supported.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fired off an e-mail to their sales team to confirm uk tmc and yakumo compatibility with the Medion....
In addition I also contacted Alturion who also got a tmc product with 3d view including clouds in the sky ;-)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Alturion does look an interesting solution, providing TMC data either via RDS-TMC or via GPRS. However, their pricing gets expensive:

Alturion Professional 5 €599 (Pro required for TMC support)
Cable €30
European Maps €199

Total: £575 (approx)

However, they offer 12 months software and map updates including in that price, and you can buy further years for €119 (internet downloads, renewed within 2 months of current period expiring), which makes a difference once you consider the costs over a few years.

Navigon, in comparison:

Business Mobile Navigator European Version €499
(NB: this is PDA only, whereas Alturion provides Desktop and PDA versions in the same package)
Cable is included
European Maps is included

Total: £350 (approx.)

Although upgrades are available from previous products, the information isn't openly provided on the website, so it's difficult to compare running costs over 2 or 3 years.

Once Alturion can provide UK TMC maps (I believe both TeleAtlas and Navtech maps including TMC information), or confirm it already works, then with the ability to buy updates it may be a better solution. However, if you don't renew within the 2 months, you have to buy again, which makes it a more expensive solution.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison. The one thing I don't like about Navigon are the small 'button' (text). This makes it difficult to operate whilst in the car, I have got small hand but find the stylus is required...

On the other hand I have got it confirmed from Navigon that the UK maps support TMC, the Medion PPC can use the Yakumo connector and are awaiting whether the €299 cross upgrade offer applies to me.....That includes European maps, another carholder, charger and the combined tmc/gps receiver!!!!

Can't wait...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I made a small mistake - the Pro bundle includes the cable (it's actually €569 + €30 for the cable), which reduces the cost a little. It's nice to hear from Navigon about the upgrade from the Aldi / Halfords deal, although for most of us who are starting from nothing it's less of an issue.

I have to say having read the Alturion manual for their software that they do seem keen to have the ultimate solution, offering some very interesting options, for example:

Route planning on the desktop, and exporting to the PDA (good use of the better processing power)
Ability to simply export x miles either side of the route to the PDA (good if you are travelling through an area, as opposed to staying within the one area)
Ability to only download TMC support data for certain countries
Ability to auto re route based on road closed / x% drop in speed from TMC data
Ability to have access to TMC data on the desktop
Ability to sync a lot of the data between the desktop and the PDA

I note that Alturion, Navigon and TomTom all use the TeleAtlas mapping data (making TomTom's lack of TMC support stand out further, although I suspect it will arrive during 2004 now they have greater competition).

However, the unique (as far as I can see in PDA terms) advantage of Alturion is that they provide both software and map updates during the time (well, I guess Wayfinder can claim the same advantage, but that works very differently).

I do wonder whether Alturion should have its forum on here.

As for TMC support, from discussions in the "Other software forum", it's been confirmed that the released version of Alturion Pro 5 with the European Maps does include TMC support for the UK (when using the GPS-TMC unit) - at present Alturion do not have the UK TMC data on their Internet (and hence GPRS) server.

Finally, there is a third party application (separately licensed) called TripC (Trip Companion) which is included on the software CD (as a 14 day trial) which uses the SDK to provide better POI support including speed cameras. The author includes with the software a script to convert TomTom OV2 files, and hence it could easily be used with either the Speed Camera Database on here on those provided by the other sync services to give this support into Alturion.
http://tripc.joval.nl/index.htm

Alturion does appear to be the best in functionality terms (although actual comparisons with the others for useability would be nice to know), it's still a question as to whether the additional cost over the other solutions is worthwhile. I've heard that Alturion are concentrating on the high end solution, and not aiming for mass market (like TomTom) and therefore may offer a better service to those that think it is worthwhile - certainly once you factor in the desktop version (which I forgot to do with Navigon in my comparison), and the integration between the two products, it's going to be an interesting year in PDA SatNav solutions....
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swing,

Many thanks for the information on TMC. May I ask a quick (and probably basic) question?

TMC data currently appears to be obtained by GPRS, presumably by mobile phone and hence cost. Do you think there will soon be a solution that uses a wired or Bluetooth combined GPS and TMC receiver that will work with a navigation package (e.g. TomTom Navigator) that will automatically pick up free TMC broadcasts (like the Traffic Master units do) and automatically re-route around traffic jams, etc.?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Navigon Business Mobile Navigator and Alturion GPS Professional 5 Bundle navigation products come with wired combined GPS-TMC units (a single GPS looking device, which also picks up TMC data), and can reroute based on the free RDS-TMC signals, and both are available right now.

I see no reason why a Bluetooth combined GPS-TMC unit could not be produced, but right now there is no such device (Alturion do sell a Bluetooth bundle, but that does not have TMC support).

Alturion also provide TMC data via GPRS (*) for Benelux, whereas Navigon do not.

(*) Actually, they provide it via the Internet, but it can be accessed either from the desktop via the Internet, or from a PDA via a GPRS connection.

So, your wish is fulfilled, although not using TomTom right now Smile
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found another mistake in the comparison between the two:

Alturion Professional 5 €569 (Pro required for TMC support)
Cable €30
European Maps €199

Total: £555 (approx)

However, they offer 12 months software and map updates including in that price, and you can buy further years for €79 for the base product(internet downloads, renewed within 2 months of current period expiring), and an additional €119 for the European maps, which makes a difference once you consider the costs over a few years.

Navigon, in comparison:

Business Mobile Navigator European Version €499 (PDA only)
Cable is included
European Maps is included

Total: £350 (approx.)

Steve
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Cost of TMC Reply with quote

I am fairly confused!
Dedicated in-car systems with large LCD panel + TMC from iTIS seem to be c.£1500.
PDA GPS seems to be c. £500+. TMC add-on seems to be another c£600, and of course you've got to get it all working together.
If so, £4-500 extra for a 'guaranteed' system starts to sound attractive.

Is this right?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of TMC Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
I am fairly confused!
Dedicated in-car systems with large LCD panel + TMC from iTIS seem to be c.£1500.
PDA GPS seems to be c. £500+. TMC add-on seems to be another c£600, and of course you've got to get it all working together.
If so, £4-500 extra for a 'guaranteed' system starts to sound attractive.

Is this right?

Not really.

- You can buy a simple LCD panel unit with TMC support for circa £1500 (though not from iTIS, who simply supply the raw TMC data)
- A nice colour screen with map information + TMC will be more like £2500
- For the PDA solution you need a PDA (£200)and GPS Software with TMC Hardware (£350 - Navigon), so that's £550

I think your confusion is something like Alturion or Navigon are complete systems with both the hardware and the navigation software - you seem to think that they are addons to existing PDA GPS systems (eg TomTom), whereas they are actually in place of them. Hence, you should consider that the TomTom kit with Hardware is circa £200, whereas the Navigon kit is £350, which means you are paying an extra £150 for TMC support (obviously if you are starting from nothing).

Also, you said an extra £500 for a "guaranteed" system - both the PDA solution and the full TMC SatNav system are receiving their data from the same source, using the same TMC reference data, and using the same navigation (road) data too - the advantages of the PDA solution are:
- Some level of portability
- Much cheaper upgrades and new features
- Responsive developers (I doubt you could persuade VDO-Dayton to make a change just for you)
- Third party developers adding additional functionality (eg Speed Camera Database support, ability to update (for free) the POI information)

Steve
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: In Car v PDA Reply with quote

Very helpful. I did think the TMC was an add on to Tom Tom - so many of the posts talk about adding TMC to Tom Tom!

I'm fairly sure that our local dealer seels the Panasonic for c. £1500 including TMC, though there's a yearly charge I think for iTIS data (maybe that's VDO). Dave Burrows had similar info on the forum 'In-Car Manufacturer Sat Nav Systems':
"The Panasonic system comes in at around £1000-£1200 with the 5.8" screen, and gives borderless routing across UK and Europe (covering 14 countries) with Points Of Interest and partial postcode support. It also comes with voice guidance, choice of three routes, route avoidance/detour and colour 3D maps from NavTech. Not too sure what the TMC box usually costs, but I'd presume probably around £130 maybe more."

My comments on 'guaranteed' were from reading the posts. If using Tom Tom it seemed definitely not for the faint-hearted, whereas the dealer sorts it all out for the Panasonic. If Navigon is 'out of the box' then problem solved!

Most people seem to shade Alturion over Navigon, yet it seems quite a bit more expensive. I can't quite see why it's 'better'. Any comments?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: