Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Battery Life on P550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Life on P550
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Battery Life on P550 Reply with quote

The battery on my Mio P550 when closed down lasts only 48 hours.
Is this the norm or does anybody else have battery life problems with this Pda.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.5 hours shown on their site http://www.mio-tech.be/products/pda_navigation/P550/specifications.php
morphus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mine do this some times(not always) 2 p550 on trial it seems as if something is still running even when off ? power swicth is a bit dumb (easy to bump)
mio appear to be on holidays regarding any emails from me I'll have another look at their FAQ's

Regards Andyb
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lost_Property just wanted to check with you on how the Mio P350 runs with TomTom Navi. I have just sent back a P550 cos the signal was absolutely c**p and apparently Mio know about it. Hows the signal strength on the 350. Do you get solid bars on the GPS signal?

Thanks
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hows the signal strength on the 350. Do you get solid bars on the GPS signal?
I've had no problems with solid locks on the P350, regularly get 7 sats minimum, compared to my Mio 168's 4 or 5 maybe 6.

My car has an athermic windscreen and I gave it a test last Sunday. I set up inside the car and drove off before getting a lock. With my 168 I would arrive home, 14 miles later, and still not have a lock, the P350 locked on at between 5 and 6 miles (when slowing for a roundabout), most of the journey was at the speed limits of 40 and 50.

I checked both the 168 and the P350 with WinFast Navigator CE, the signal strengths on the 168 varied between 24 and 34 (max), the P350 shows all but the odd one or two at 32 upwards and more usually 35+. Obviously varies according to where the Sats are.

After having it switched off for a day or two it takes 4 or 5 minutes to get a lock inside the car (b****y windscreen) but I start TT as I go out my back door and by the time I get to my car I have a lock.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it.
doogy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My battery seems to have discharged quickly on an odd couple of occassions for some unknown reason similar to mentioned by morphus. I've set the lock to on so that it switches off after 5 secs if `unlock` isn't hit but it has still discharged after 48 hours without much use...guess something may not have stopped running properly. I have ran it from fully charged with screen set to 1/4 brightness and running winfast nav on dev and signal screens meaning there is constant activity to keep the device running and it ran for 6 hours 20 minutes before dying which I was impressed with. Just got to do some more investigation on why the battery discharges very quickly on odd occassions. Any info or suggestions greatly appreciated. As a side note mine works fine with Mio Map, Memory Map and TTN5.21 (with a quick tweak from winfast) and picks up sats indoors no problem

Regards

Craig
Gavwad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Start, Settings, System and then Memory - choose Stop All and that should close all running programs. This should then help with the battery...

Have to say really liked the P550 but got one of the dodgy units so sent it back... Hoping to get a refund or a P350 instead as it seems more reliable...

Still can't understand why the P550 doesn't work out of the box - why should we have to download loads of programs and tweak with software?!?! Shouldn't Mio have done this in the testing stage???

Sorry - rant over!
doogy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Gavwad.......I have always selected the stop all option after switching off but something still seems to be running. Am now keeping an eye on which GPS software I run each time as it may be a connection to the GPS port that is open and slowly draining the battery. As I say, it doesn't always happen.....which is all the more annoying!!

Tried numerous times to contact MIO support but they are absolutely cr@p as have had no reply and I refuse to call the 35p per minute help line as it's just a rip off.

Regards

Craig
Gavwad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll find out why the battery is draining. Have to say it lasts longer than my iPAQ does...

As for Mio Support - don't bother - you'll find out much more information searching via www.google.co.uk. I'm still waiting for a reply to my question, and that was over a week ago. I don't even have the P550 any more having sent it back!
lfour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Life on P550 Reply with quote

revel wrote:
The battery on my Mio P550 when closed down lasts only 48 hours.
Is this the norm or does anybody else have battery life problems with this Pda.

I have the exact same problem in my brand new MIO P350. I have purchased it before one week and the battery after a full charge won't last longer than 2 days.Last time i finished charging yesterday at 9PM and today at 8AM WITHOUT EVEN USING IT AFTER THE CHARGE the battery was at half power. There are no running programs in the background since i stop them all in the memory management. The only programs installed in The PDA are MameCE and Destinator PN. The MIO Official site says about 21 days of battery life in standby mode but in our case that seems ridicylous... I' dont known what the f*** is wrong but i'm thinking to return it back at the store for check maybe. Are there any other people with the same problem ? Any help will be appreciated....

Thanks !!
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a p550 with MIOMAP V2 so far I am very pleased with it. I t seems to be very fast at picking up the satellites. I do enjoy the wi fi part of it.

I am though very disappointed at the battery life, and I am still in the process of testing it. It seems to be lasting longer using the lock feature and taking the memory card out when on standby. I still haven't managed to get it to last 48 hours between each charge. But I think it might have something to do with programs still running in the background when on standby. Also I have noticed active synch starts up itself when on standby, when I have checked it periodically, and looked at the running programs in settings, I've had to close it again.

Anyway I am going to try it once more without using it at all, with the card out, the lock on, and no programs running other than active synch. Then I will try testing it by switching it off via the slider switch, and seeing if the battery still drains then.

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has noticed active synch starting up itself when on standby?

Steve
Gavwad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say the best choice I made was sending the P550 back. I was very disappointed with the unit. It promised everything and was meant to be perfect for my needs. I've gone back to my trusty HP iPAQ until either Mio sort it out or something better comes along...
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would be very interested to know if anyone else has noticed active synch starting up itself when on standby?
I've noticed the same on my P350. Don't know why it does this.
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavwad,

I think it is a great PDA especially being able to have wifi and bluetooth. I am a lot happier now I think it is a manufacturing fault rather than a fault with my own.

I wonder if there is some way to turn active synch off altogether, lost property, I have looked without joy. It's interesting you get the same problem with the p350.

Steve
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an IPAQ PDA and I'm pretty certain that you can set Active Sync to manual. A Google search ought to find an article on this. I had the problem of quick battery run down when I first got it but I can't remember how I cured it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: