Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Camera Manager Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Camera Manager Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
That just clears your IP name cache (which probably only lives for around 15 minutes, anyway).

As it's unlikely that would be the problem, or changing, doesn't seem that relevant.

The browser tends to be caching pages and object, but as others have said, it's most likely to be ISPs that are caching pages and downloads that is the issue.
Agreed although you local DNS can live for up to 24 hours (not just 15 minutes) so sometimes it is worth clearing it.

Your local hostname cache (ie on the client machine) will live for around 15 minutes, unless the record keeps being requested, in which case the TTL from the DNS record will likely apply.

For DNS caching nameservers, the TTL for the record / zone will almost certainly apply.

But for your hostname cache locally (which is what ipconfig /flushdns would flush) will only live around 15 minutes, if the name is just looked up once, or quite infrequently.

The local hostname cache is only transient, isn't there to totally follow the caching employed by DNS nameservers, and was only included on windows OSs from Windows 2000 onwards (before that, only netBIOS hostnames were cached).
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
trevf wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
That just clears your IP name cache (which probably only lives for around 15 minutes, anyway).

As it's unlikely that would be the problem, or changing, doesn't seem that relevant.

The browser tends to be caching pages and object, but as others have said, it's most likely to be ISPs that are caching pages and downloads that is the issue.
Agreed although you local DNS can live for up to 24 hours (not just 15 minutes) so sometimes it is worth clearing it.

Your local hostname cache (ie on the client machine) will live for around 15 minutes, unless the record keeps being requested, in which case the TTL from the DNS record will likely apply.

For DNS caching nameservers, the TTL for the record / zone will almost certainly apply.

But for your hostname cache locally (which is what ipconfig /flushdns would flush) will only live around 15 minutes, if the name is just looked up once, or quite infrequently.

The local hostname cache is only transient, isn't there to totally follow the caching employed by DNS nameservers, and was only included on windows OSs from Windows 2000 onwards (before that, only netBIOS hostnames were cached).
Good old Windows!!!
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
tomthompson wrote:
Well I cleared cache its now much later and I have downloaded several more times and still ;- Beta version expired

Any other sugestions to try Question

i think he means the isp's cache. i also have problems with freeserve users downloading files from my site - freeserve (among others) cache sites to make downloading faster but can cause problems when their cache is not updated...

i'm sure someone can email you the file! however, i'm at work and can't download it Sad

MaFt
Ash, would it be worth you using a service such as Save File to host the files so to avoid this caching issue? http://www.savefile.com
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
trevf wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

I bow yo your superior knowledge sir.

I have just checked the MS KB and it appears that negative DNS entries are only cached for a maximum of 5 minutes as well. You learn something everyday.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

I bow yo your superior knowledge sir.

I have just checked the MS KB and it appears that negative DNS entries are only cached for a maximum of 5 minutes as well. You learn something everyday.

Well client side caching is never likely to be much of a problem - negative caching isn't really that much of a special case - hostname caches still tend to observe normal rules, and assuming nothing populating / polluting cache, will observe TTLs.

But it's a red herring, anyway - it's highly unlikely any name caching (at any point in the chain) is likely to be causing any problems - especially given the context of this issue with the file downloads - unless the names / details change much at source, anyway.
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI loader stops responding everytime I try to load up Ash's files.
If I revert to the standard pocketgps camera file it works OK.
What am I doing wrong?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locksmith wrote:
POI loader stops responding everytime I try to load up Ash's files.
If I revert to the standard pocketgps camera file it works OK.
What am I doing wrong?

When you say stops responding, I wouldn't necessarily worry - I don't personally use Ash's app, I use a similar app written by cbrom, which produces much the same in output gpx files.

When I load them using POIloader, POIloader will hang for up to five minutes whilst it's doing it's thang. Then I hear the i3 bleep, as it's effectively rebooted, and it's done. During the period when POIloader "hangs" though - the OS sees it as not responding.

So you may not necessarily have a problem, perhaps you just need to be a bit patient and let it run for a bit longer.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gpx files are a LOT bigger than the csv files so takes poiloader a lot longer to process them. hence the delay as lester pointed out.

also, ash, i uploaded latest camera's t'other night yet your app keeps telling me updates are ready to install... this has already ben done! anyway to tell it that i've already actually installed them and to wait until there IS actually a new release?

MaFt
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ah ---- sorted
Yet to try it out but should be ok.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the gpx files are a LOT bigger than the csv files so takes poiloader a lot longer to process them. hence the delay as lester pointed out.

also, ash, i uploaded latest camera's t'other night yet your app keeps telling me updates are ready to install... this has already ben done! anyway to tell it that i've already actually installed them and to wait until there IS actually a new release?

MaFt
Have you uploaded your POI loader? Ash's new app only works with latest 2 or 3 versions.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt
Have you uploaded your POI loader? Ash's new app only works with latest 2 or 3 versions.

yes, it's the latest poi loader
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after all the kerfuffle to download Ash's application it works much better than before for me .

After the conversion I ran the latest version of POI loader and was getting out of my seat to make a coffee as it tended to upload to my 2720 at quite a slow rate ,when blow me it was done ,just like that and it also displays on the 2720 better as well. I used to get the camera No # speed but now it displays a caution banner and speed .

Thanks Ash :D

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie help, been viewing here for a while but not into posting yet as still picking it up :D :D

anyway, i've downloaded the latest camera manager and POI loader 2.3.2 and Camera manager keeps giving me the

'CameraManager MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'

any help??

cheers in advance
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djben9 wrote:
'CameraManager MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'

What version of Windows are you using? You'll need 2K or XP (although that does sound suspiciously like a cheesy XP error message...)
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
djben9 wrote:

What version of Windows are you using? You'll need 2K or XP (although that does sound suspiciously like a cheesy XP error message...)

win XP. Have deleted all versions of the CM as the beta version also failed to work. Still have trouble on start up as it keeps running CM :o Laughing Laughing ...

I'll try again tomorrow as well as on work PC and see what happens

cant seem to get the SD card to work on my nuvi either but i'll post that else where Smile

had to upload cameras the original way for now Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 10 of 77

Jump to: