Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Considering buying a medion c710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering buying a medion c710
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Considering buying a medion c710 Reply with quote

Smile Hi people

First off im a newbie so please bear with me on these topics. Im considering on buying a sat nav system & i was looking at buying at first a Tom Tom 510 then due to comments made against the NUVI 310D from Halfords this seemed a better option to go for because the Tom Tom new range had clumsy cradle mounts & software bugs, etc etc.

Then someone said on the forums to look at the Mio C710 as it was far better than the Tom Tom & NUVI put together because of its simplicity, it has TMC included and so on and is cheaper than Tom Tom. Im totally confused on what to go for now.

I wouldnt mind something that is simple to use, gets me from a to b basically, tmc included, good mapping software, good sat chip, other benefits like mp3 player, slideshow and so on is a plus. So any ideas people...... Confused
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: mio c710 Reply with quote

Wow like 19 views on the subject and no-one can reply back?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: mio c710 Reply with quote

The C710 does everything that you asked for in your post. Compared to the Tomtom 910 which I had for a few days, it is much slimmer and lighter (slips in your pocket), has free traffic info, and I find that the maps are more up to date and accurate.
I haven't found Mio's support to be good (read non-existent) but these forums have given all the help I need.
Is that what you wanted to hear?

Sal
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks Sallyann, nice to know someones alive and able to respond. Yeah basically im in such a dilemma on which sat nav to get & i need one asap but was tempted first to get a tomtom then got put off cos of the fact of the bugs in their software, their clumsy mounts and cradles, so i thought a nuvi 310 or 360 something like that.

Then another lad on this forum mentioned the Mio C710 and everyone seems to have good things on this apart from the likes of what youve just said, the tech support but then again if youve got places like this to come to sometimes it can work in your favour.. I couldve got a nuvi 310 with windscreen mount, ac charger all for 300 quid only cos i work there where we sell them so was debating which would be better. The Mio C710 looks better than the nuvi cos it has the tmc in it ( i believe) and the text to speech facility only for a few quid more, cant be bad.
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the text to speech. I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere else! You're not thinking of the handsfree phone function are you or the posts on added new voices? They are just standard pre-recorded segments. They don't sound brilliant but they are quite accurate and loud.

So far very happy with mine...

Ian
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Hmm must be getting confused there Ian, i thought the Mio C710 did have text to speech facility. Does anyone know then what the difference is between the 510 and 710 models then
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi anarchyuk.
If my memory serves me correctly, the main differences are
1. Full European street level mapping installed on the 710, only UK installed on the 510.
2. TMC receiver in the 710. No TMC receiver on the 510. So if you wanted TMC on a 510 you would have to buy the receiver with aerial. (All of a sudden you're virtually up to the price of a 710). The 710 still needs an aerial plugged in, but others report it works without.
3. 2GB of flash ROM on the 710 only 512k on the 510.
There may be some other minor points but I'm pretty sure these 3 are the biggest differences.

By the way, there is definitely no text to speech on the 710, but after having used both Tom Tom & Garmin's, I'm not really missing it. :D

CeeJay.
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost right but not quite!

1) Both the C710 and C510e come with UK AND Full Euro mapping BUT only the UK maps are installed on the 510 and UK and euro maps are installed already on the 710. No big deal as 1 & 2gb cards are dirt cheap at the moment. I picked up a 2gb card for £27 !!

2) The 710 has built in TMC that works from an internal aerial. You don't need to have an additional aerial unless you are in a dodgy reception area.

3) The 510e does not have TMC. You need to buy additional bits to get TMC for it so if you need TMC, it makes more sense to get a 710.

4) There is no text to speech on either unit. By text to speech I mean "Turn left onto Charles street". Both of them will say "Take the next left" or something like that but they will NOT speak the name of the street / road.

5) Routing on either Mio is significantly better than TT or Nuvi. The Nuvi is pants quite a lot of the time. TT is better but not as balanced as Mio. I had both until very recently and the Nuvi was hopeless. It also has very little depth (not physically) - you know what it does in 5 mins and that's all it will ever do. The Mio seems to provide sensible, balanced routes just about all the time.

6) The Nuvi 310D already has the TMC but I could never get mine to work properly and I was not alone. Several Mio owners say that the TMC on the 710 works really well.

7) You will need to have a Bluetooth 2 dongle (£10ish) to connect with the Mio. It should work with USB but doesn't at present.

8) Mio support is rubbish. Word has it that they expected to sell X units of the 710 & 510 and have would up selling 30X instead so they are desperately short staffed. I'm not so sure. I've had dealings with Mitac (Mio's parent company) for many years and have always found them to be unresponsive and indifferent. Who knows, maybe they'll change now!!

btw Mio runs iGo - the navigation software. It's extremely good and lots about it on the web and this forum. Just Google it!

Hope this helps!

Ravi
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ceejay
No offence re the Nuvi - I really didn't get on with it at all!

Ravi
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ravi.
No prob there.
I've now got me one of these and I love it. Apart from 1 problem I've now got with speedcam warnings. Details here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43107

Perhaps you can help?

CeeJay
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell Ceejay!
Sound like you've been thru the trenches!!
I've never had anything like this on mine at all. Have you mucked about with the config settings file at all? A mate of mine edited it with a text editor and totally screwed up his Mio - sounded kind of like yours - totally frozen and nothing would work. I emailed him the file from mine and it came back to normal.

Let me know if I can be of any help!!

Ravi
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ravi.
Didn't touch any of the files I shouldn't have.
It just froze whilst dragging the maps.
If you check the thread again you will now find all is well. :D

CeeJay
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys thanks for the response, means a lot and im gonna get the C510 only because it does what i want it to do & thats it. Anyways my next dilemma is who to buy from & if anyones had any experience on good service.

Im thinking of buying the C510 from pixmania for a very cheap 211 quid! what do you think?
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. £211 is an astonishing price. I've not seen one even close to that - I paid £239 for my 510 and I thought that was good!
If the 510's what you want, I'd go for it. At that price there are no downsides!!

Ravi
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know Ravi, im just debating what Pixmanias reputation is like though for service, i mean theyre worldwide so i guess they cant be that bad, plus on top of being very cheap they also offer 2yrs warranty on the unit (only downside is in the 2nd yr you have to send it off to France as thats where theyre based even though im buying through the UK section? Confused ) Anyways i think im gonna get this though, its a FANTASTIC price!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: