Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unlock Mio C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unlock Mio C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Task Manager Reply with quote

Matzon,

I use PHM task manager and device manager on my C710.

Task manager from http://www.phm.lu/products/Embedded/
(not all powertoys work!)
Device Manager from http://www.phm.lu/products/PocketPC/

Give them all a try but some don't fit the screen quite right!

Ian
Matzon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh - had to hard reset, one of the views were to big, and I didn't have miotool running, so I couldn't dismiss it :/

I have tried to install the BlueSoleil BT drivers, replacing the ones already installed, since these should allow DUN via bluetooth.
However I am not having much success - primarily because of the configuration of the bttl.ini file and BTDynamicConfig.ini. Has anyone tried this?
mat_oli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, new user here, I purchased a Mio C710 recently, but I'm in Canada, so I think the MioMap software I have is a different version than MioMap v3 that comes with the European version of the C710.

Is it possible to do the unlocking of the C710 the same way as is mentioned in this thread, or does this only apply to the European version?
Also, how would I do a hard reset and backup/restore of the software currently installed on my C710?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Matzon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the hardware is exactly the same and the filesystem layout is similar, though with other navigator software, it should work.

You need to locate the navigator software on the flash disk, using bluetooth. Once located, copy its executable to a local disk, or rename it. Then copy miotool and the miomap (from the zip file) (miomap is just total commander renamed). miomap should be called whatever the executable of your navigation software is called.
Once copied you should be able to launch the total commander executable and start "hacking". Remember to start miotool, the virtual keyboard! Some dialogs are bigger than screen and you need to be able to push 'esc' and 'enter' to those.

If your flash disk is called My Flash Disk, you should be able to use the french cab file and execute that.

Once executed, reboot using the reboot.exe in My Flash Disk\Utils

You might also want to rename the executable back to its original name, though I haven't.

When doing a hard reset it will destroy *everything* on the device, except whatever is on the flash disk. So everytime you hard reset it, you will have to hack it again. However you wont have to rename.

As for backing up - you just copy the files via ActiveSync USB - or using it's backup method. Please note that some rom files cannot be copied.

YMMV ofcourse Rolling Eyes
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat_oli, you probably have Destinator installed. So instead of MioMap you probably have an executable DestinatorPN or similar that needs to get replaced by TotalCommander. The rest is the same.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mat_oli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Mat_oli, you probably have Destinator installed. So instead of MioMap you probably have an executable DestinatorPN or similar that needs to get replaced by TotalCommander. The rest is the same.

yeah, you're right, I think I do have Destinator installed. It actually says "MioMap" on the main screen when I load up the map software, but it says "by Destinator Technologies" as well.

And actually I found a real easy way to do this 'hacking', something that another guy on this thread did - just changed the ppath.txt to point to the apps I want to launch (cuz the only thing I really wanted was another video player, that doesn't require me to re-encode all my existing files).

Also, I was wondering, does anybody have any golf course GPS software that I could use for Windows CE?
mat_oli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...and another question - I'm quite sure that the Destinator version of MioMap is an older one...

is there any way that I can install the newer MioMap v3 onto my C710, and have it use the maps that are already on the Flash drive?
phulatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention golf course software, I am currently working on a version of my mCaddyGPS software for the MIO/WinCE. Send me a PM if you want me to let you know when it's ready to test.

Paul
rwmio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the good info. Been following this thread for a week or so. Just got the C510E and tried unlocking. All working, but a few oddities... If I start MioMap from the Win CE desktop, everything works and on exit I'm returned to CE desktop. If I start the "Shell" (displays the Mio's default startup screen with "Settings", "Contacts", "Photos", "MP3") I'm not able to exit back to Win CE. Not real familiar with CE, is there a key combination, shortcut, taskmanager, something to allow exit from shell? Tried remapping the "Photos" button to run Explorer.exe & that worked but on exiting explorer you're back to the Mio shell (it's still running in the background). Also, the Mio Bluetooth application seems to start on it's own occasionally. Have to go to the Mio Bluetooth menu to shutdown the radio, but when you click the "Exit" button on that page the radio activates again! This is not happening all the time, haven't figured out what's going on yet... Did find the config option in Total Commander to set to English. Haven't got Bluetooth yet, have to get a dongle for my notebook. Have went back & forth between unlock and restore 5 or 6 times. May try a few times more tonight & see if I can find some kind of pattern in the Bluetooth radio activation problem-this is the reason I haven't left Mio unlocked. A real PITA having to go out & deactivate the radio over and over until it finally decides to stay deactiavted!! Any advice is appreciated....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you are in the Mio shell, you're locked. (Hell, that's the purpose of the Mio shell, to lock you in!).

If you have done all scripts properly then a soft reset will get you back to Windows CE. You could also try a CE Task manager and then try to kill the Mio Shell but the soft reset is so much quicker.

Mind you, when the batteries run flat it is back to square one - You need to apply the defacement again.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rwmio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Once you are in the Mio shell, you're locked. (Hell, that's the purpose of the Mio shell, to lock you in!).

If you have done all scripts properly then a soft reset will get you back to Windows CE. You could also try a CE Task manager and then try to kill the Mio Shell but the soft reset is so much quicker.

Mind you, when the batteries run flat it is back to square one - You need to apply the defacement again.

Yes, I've been getting back out via soft reset but was looking for a more "elegant" way ie "end task" or some such... oh well. I've unlocked again and was playing with options. Got a couple of task manager applications from Tucows & tried to install. When running setup get msg "not a valid CE application". Double-click cab files & could possibly install from there but don't want to screw up anything. Still having problems with Bluetooth starting and unable to stop without soft reset. ARG! May keep playing around, but not tonight.
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some winCE taskmanagers available. I use one from PHM.lu which you can start from the explorer you open and then has an end task option for mainshell.

I do have trouble getting the taskbar up and running sometimes but otherwise I can get in and out OK. Generally though there should be no need for the mainshell prog. Just use desktop shortcuts to run the programs you want!

Ian
Dick1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Activesync after unlock Reply with quote

Having unlocked succesfully cannot connect with activesync, just get port not available on 710 even if nothing connected ! any ideas

thanks

dick
torontoguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Canada : Unlock Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have read through this entire post several times, but I am not the most computer savvy guy out there.

I clicked on the original link which is supposed to have a .cab file, but when I go to the site I cannot see where to download it, has it been removed??
(I can't read the site --- its in french)

I am also having a hard time understanding exactly what to do... has anyone created step by step DIY guide?

Any help would be appreciated.
torontoguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: summary Reply with quote

ok... for my own simplicity and so i dont f'up my c710, i went through the posts and tried to summarize this whole process.

thanks to all the posts i ripped info from, if i got somthing wrong could someone please correct

1 ) create a backup of the included cd (MIOMAPV3 for UK, MIO MAP D1.1 for Canada/US) to a folder on your computer
2 ) from the backed up directory rename the miomap.exe to anything for simplicity miomapREAL.exe
3 ) copy the miomap.exe and other files from the downloaded zip into the folder
4 ) run setup and choose restore (miomap3.1 for UK, …. for CND/US)
5 ) after restored perform a soft reset by pressing the “reset” button on the bottom of the C710
6 ) select miomap from the main screen to access file explorer
7 ) navigate to \flashdrive\MIOMAP\\Miomap\ and double click on MIOTOOL.exe to start keyboard app
8 ) double click the unlock-c510mioskins.cab
9 ) when prompted to hit enter, click on the little abc icon top left to expand the keyboard and press enter
10 ) perform another soft reset, you will now have a desktop/ file explorer view
11 ) delete the French language file found at \flashdrive\utils\total commander\
12 ) delete the fake miomap.exe from \flashdrive\miomap\miomap
13 ) rename the original miomapREAL.exe back to “miomap.exe”
14 ) you can now start miomap from the desktop (you may need to reload your maps)

TIPS
------------
- Recommended mp3 player www.winamPAQ.com (choose the NEXIO160 version)

- If installing apps, install to the flash drive to avoid reloading after resetting

- To change the calculator button into an escape to file explore
o Find the file \windows\ppath.txt
o Change [Calculator]\windows\calculator.exe to [Calculator]\windows\explorer.exe

- To change the mp3 button to load winamPAQ
o Find the file \windows\ppath.txt
o [Music]\windows\mp3player.exe to [Music]\my flash disk\winampaq\winampaq.exe

- To make the c710 load the original interface
o Find the registry on the c710 (can someone explain where to find this)
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init.
o Delete Launch 80
o Modify Launch 50 to "ST.exe"

------------------

now the only two issues i am having is:

- i cant get my hands on the .cab file.. can anyone post a link?

- the software CD i have doesnt seem to have the miomap.exe file or a restore option - if i active sync through usb, i can find the miomap.exe file on the c710, i should be able to rename that and keep a copy right?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: