Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avoid roadblock is useless
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoid roadblock is useless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Avoid roadblock is useless Reply with quote

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the what avoid roadblock is used for, but as far as I can tell, it is a waste of time.

Several times I often find that due to the map being out of date or whatever (especially in another country, like France or Spain with old towns), that you simply come to a point where you can't go where Navigator wants you to - typically a "no entry", a barrier, pedestrian street or whatever. In my opinion, I would use the avoid roadblock feature to say "I can't go the way you want - tell me where to go now".

Using avoid roadblock in these situations, it seems to put a dashed-line on the road (somtimes not where you would expect), but FAIL to reroute. The route stubbornly stays the same, with the route passing through the dashed-road. Or, it might say something like "no alternatives possible" - so what am I supposed to do - I have come to a point where I can't go, often at the end of a one way street and so I can't turn around, and refuses to correct the route. Of course, if you turn the only way you can, Navigator tries to recorrect you to go back to the orginal route. Useless!

The only way I have found to correct this is to pull off the road, go to "map" view, clear the route, draw in a "avoid" area, and then re-plan from where I am. This mostly works (I have had one or two occasions where the route still goes through the avoid). So, if it can work with avoid regions, why can't it figure out to avoid a roadblock?

I think this potentially extremely useful feature of GPS navigation is very flawed in TTN2.

Richard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to differentiate between a "Roadblock" and a "Avoid Area".

A roadblock is something that happens suddenly (like an accident), and TomTom can TRY to find an alternative route if there is an "exit" from your current route before the roadblock. If there's an accident on the highway and you missed the last exit before that then there's nothing that TomTom can do for you - it must continue on that route. Roadblocks are of temporary nature and are forgotten with the next route.

Now the "Avoid Area" feature allows you to compensate for map errors. Like in your example, if you know that there is no street where TomTom thinks there is one then you can draw an "Avoid" rectangle in that map area and TomTom will always (well, most always) ignore this part of the map when calculating routes. Again this will only work if your current location is outside of any avoid areas. Avoid areas are permanent, and they are not linked to any routes.

Hope this helps.

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: