Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How To Save To Nuvi SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How To Save To Nuvi SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: How To Save To Nuvi SD card Reply with quote

Thanks to the help of couple of others on here I've now have my 256SD card from Halfords, which is part of their 310D exclusive deal.

Now a question.

Is it possible to save data, maps POI's to the SD card only and not the Nuvi internal memory ?

I'm trying to save maps of France and Spain from City Navigator NT+ Europe v8 DVD. However from the Mapsource software I only have the option of Nuvi and not the Nuvi SD card.

Any advice appreciated.
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Save To Nuvi SD card Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Thanks to the help of couple of others on here I've now have my 256SD card from Halfords, which is part of their 310D exclusive deal.

Now a question.

Is it possible to save data, maps POI's to the SD card only and not the Nuvi internal memory ?

I'm trying to save maps of France and Spain from City Navigator NT+ Europe v8 DVD. However from the Mapsource software I only have the option of Nuvi and not the Nuvi SD card.

Any advice appreciated.

If I remember correctly when you select your unit to save to, you should see the SD Card on the Nuvi appear as a seperate drive letter on your PC. In the drop down list of where to save to, you select the drive letter and not the Nuvi unit it self. If you go into Windows Explorer and ensure that there is a drive letter for your Nuvi main unit and second drive letter assigned to the SD Card. If you don't see the SD card drive letter, then you need to resolve that problem first, and then you should be able to select it in the drop-down list when you try to export map data.

tgl
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was expecting to see however along with the drives normally found on a PC I have only the one drive for Nuvi and no extra drive letter for the SD card.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks
Legohead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine not recognise the card a couple of times, think I removed the card with the Nuvi still connected to the PC, when re-insterted it coudn't see the card.

Not sure what order you've done things, but try disconnecting the Nuvi and turn it off. Insert the card, and connect the Nuvi to the PC, then open up mapsource, or POI loader etc

As TGL said you should see the SD card as another removable drive
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite disconnecting USB lead, turning Nuvi off/on, rebooting PC, etc I can still only find the Garmin Nuvi listed with a drive letter. No sign of the SD card.

However when using 'Safely Remove Hardware' in the PC system tray it does have the SD card as part of the 'USB Mass Storage Device' list along with 'Generic Volume', 'Generic Volume-(GSmile' and 'Garmin Nuvi USB Device'

To narrow things down and see if it's a PC or a Garmin problem 'Is there anyway of telling whether the Nuvi itself is recognising the SD card ?'
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the same sort of thing here. Went out a got a SD card reader from PC World for £9.99 and loaded camera data base direct onto SD card.
Trouble is, every time you power the Nuvi up it asks if you want to transfer the data into its main memory.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK a bit more process of elimination.

By taking an SD card from a camera I can view the photos contained on it in 'Travel Kit/Picture Viewer' also by putting the new blank SD card I again get the choice of where to view images from. So as it looks like the Nuvi is recognising SD cards the problem apparently lies somewhere else.

Having once again tried rebooting, disconnecting/reconnecting the USB lead, etc neither Explorer or POIloader are finding the SD card and assigning it a drive letter.

As before any suggestions gratefully received.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the card itself, there's a lot of SD memory increased gadgets out there that just don't like certain makes of cards Rolling Eyes
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice and, although not wholly satisfactory, I've sort of resolved the issue, . Out of exasperation I hooked up the Nuvi to another PC, which is much,much,much older, and the Nuvi 310 and SD were both identified and had separate drive letters.

Why the new Dell laptop couldn't find the SD card I'm not yet sure, as both computers are running Windows XP, but at least I can now save files where I want them.

This, however ,has led to another question regarding deleting/moving map files for which I've start another post under 'Deleting Maps Saved To Nuvi Internal Memory'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: