Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ofcom says GPS Repeaters are ilegal in the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ofcom says GPS Repeaters are ilegal in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
...But of course - that doesn't solve the problem as the vast majority of PND devices can't use an external bluetooth GPS as their datasource for positional information. That goes for all current TomToms, Navmans etc (apart from versions that run on the PDA - but this scenario is becoming ever less popular as PND devices become cheaper and less messy than PDA setups). Most of them can only use their own built in receivers and therefore would require a repeater and not a bluetooth GPS.

I'm not sure where you get the most from; a quick check on the internet revealed external wired antennas available for the TomTom One and Go ranges. I assume that with TomTom being such a market leader, that even TomTom alone might be most of the PND devices in use.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil wrote:
I'm not sure where you get the most from;

I think I've misunderstood what BGF was meaning when he recommended a Holux in combination as an external aerial.

Yes, obviously you can plug an external aerial into a tomtom but I think people are trying to avoid a wired solution.

I think new cars should have an integrated BTGPS that is always on (ie you don't need to wait for a lock) and devices such as TomToms should be able to use it if it senses the signal is available. That way, cars which have athermic screens could also come with a BTGPS located outside the windscreen (eg under rear parcel shelf), or perhaps use an external aerial.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NickG"]
neil wrote:
...Yes, obviously you can plug an external aerial into a tomtom but I think people are trying to avoid a wired solution...

Having a wired antenna involves significantly fewer wires than the repeater option; just look at the picture, it is like a wired antenna, and then lots.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but this can all be permanently installed in the car with all the cables tucked out of sight, and ready to work as soon as you switch on.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with regard to pnds and the gps reveivers not getting locks behind athermic windscreens. the lasest generation of pnds come with sirf 3 as standard so haveing rerade in the majority of cass would give little improvment wouldnt it Question

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Agreed, but this can all be permanently installed in the car with all the cables tucked out of sight, and ready to work as soon as you switch on.

Which to be effective and reasonably neat, usually involves far more expensive solutions to the plug-in one shown in the picture, which when coupled with the expense (for many of us) of getting it fitted and hard wired, we are possibly getting to the position where upgrading might even be cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, It is not that I don't think it possible, or even in some cases a practical solution (if it were legal), just that I think that you should seriously consider cutting your losses and upgrading beyond the problem - it just might not be as expensive an real terms as you think. (As in if you were planning to upgrade in 12 months or so, you should only consider the cost of bringing your purchase forward, rather than the full cost)

Although back to the legality, and the testing to make sure it is safe before approval. Bearing in mind that satellites have a transmitter about as powerful as a domestic light bulb, I can understand the concern about the consequences of repeating and possibly amplifying such a miniscule signal. I wonder just how much (or little) it would have to be amplified before it started confusing all the receivers around it? After all, it is quite feasable that stray repeated signals could even be stronger than a direct signal from a satellite.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it that big a deal? Those FM transmitters that you use for tuning your car radio into your iPod are illegal too -- can't transmit on the FM band without a licence.

The reality is that you're unlikely to get nicked for it.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I wonder just how much (or little) it would have to be amplified before it started confusing all the receivers around it? After all, it is quite feasable that stray repeated signals could even be stronger than a direct signal from a satellite.
Completely the opposite I'm afraid. The GPS system was designed to be difficult to jam. The GPS signals at the receiver are actually below the noise floor, so the receiver just chops off everything above the noise floor. Because the receiver knows the pseudorandom sequence, it can look for a signal in the noise that varies in the same way and lock onto it. You do the same thing with radio telescopes -- move it on and off-source at about 1Hz then look for variations in the noise at 1Hz and there's your signal, even though it's below the noise floor. The pseudorandom codes are just a more sophisticated way of doing a similar thing.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
Completely the opposite I'm afraid. The GPS system was designed to be difficult to jam. The GPS signals at the receiver are actually below the noise floor, so the receiver just chops off everything above the noise floor.

Civilian GPS receivers are dead easy to jam, try a simple experiment - put two "Classics" next to each other and see the signal drop. Or try enother one - quickly switch to the GPS Status screen and see the SNR go up.
Why do you think TomTom wrapped the 3/5/700 series motherboards in the nice shiny foil? What is the reason for the ONE's outstanding GPS performance? ;-)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
Is it that big a deal? Those FM transmitters that you use for tuning your car radio into your iPod are illegal too -- can't transmit on the FM band without a licence.

The reality is that you're unlikely to get nicked for it.

I was only wondering if there could be unwelcome consequences with the equipment , for example if the re-transmitted signal were stronger than the original. I presume that because of the current investigations, there are experts in the field who have concerns. As for the iPod example I am not familiar with the transmitting technology and how it can affect systems around you. My only experience has been with systems which feed the signal directly into the aerial input so are quite legal.

However, it does concern me when people worry more about the likelyhood of being caught, than about the consequences of their actions.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
Is it that big a deal? Those FM transmitters that you use for tuning your car radio into your iPod are illegal too -- can't transmit on the FM band without a licence. The reality is that you're unlikely to get nicked for it.

My thoughts exactly...

The only people they would really go after are the retailers not the end users.

Take a look at the number of pirate radio stations in London for an example of how vigorous the enforcement of such laws is...
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and ALL GO go remote controlls will work with ALL GOs (500/700) in about 10 metres radius :-).
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
...Take a look at the number of pirate radio stations in London for an example of how vigorous the enforcement of such laws is...

Perhaps you should read http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2005/11/illegal

They might be meeting with limited success, but it doesn't appear that they are doing nothing.

Just because there are many stations transmitting illegally, doesn't necessarily mean that nothing is being done, without the current level of enforcement there might be many more.

I agree that some of the stations are providing a service, and many doing no real harm, it is the fact that some don't care about the frequencies they transmit on or any consequences of it, which I have an issue with.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone from Ofcom phoned us yesterday to bitch about it. Dont really see what the problem is as it was a quick solution for people with athermic windscreens. I dont think we actually sold any this year the streets arent exactly awash with them.

Skippy wrote:
carl_w wrote:
Is it that big a deal? Those FM transmitters that you use for tuning your car radio into your iPod are illegal too -- can't transmit on the FM band without a licence. The reality is that you're unlikely to get nicked for it.

My thoughts exactly...

The only people they would really go after are the retailers not the end users.

Take a look at the number of pirate radio stations in London for an example of how vigorous the enforcement of such laws is...
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
However, it does concern me when people worry more about the likelyhood of being caught, than about the consequences of their actions.
Because anything illegal must be morally wrong, after all the government says so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: