Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - colour code mobiles?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

colour code mobiles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: colour code mobiles? Reply with quote

I saw a while ago pgps said for us to report mobile sites whenever we see them even if they are already in the database! hows about this information is used to colour code these sites i.e green for regular hotspot red for not very often! amber for quite often? this may help.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helluva maintenance jobbie I would have thought - close to 6,000 on the database, not counting the unverified 1,200. Brilliant idea, just needs a few dozens of helping hands.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally don't think this would be a good representation. if we put one as 'red' for 'not used often' then how would we know this? we can only say 'this one has not been re-reported' as not everyone DOES report subsequent mobile sightings. out of around 7000 mobile sites in the DB there re only about 300 that have been reported as being 'seen again'

MaFt
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like dennis said it would be a hell of a job! but surely if there was a big enough push for people to report every time you see one, we would get a better picture of the "Old Faithful" very active mobile sites which i know are around! i'd be willing to report every siting for a better mobile database as its very hit and miss at the moment.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get "a big enough push" though? There's supposed to be a push on now, but I think somebody asked MaFt the other day about this and it turned out that only about 300 of 5000 had been reported in this fashion (memory fails me, I could be a bit wrong, but that was the trend). I myself have reported about five such sites, including the same one on the M4 three times and another only a couple of days ago. But that's not even a drop in the ocean. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of it, but it's a case of getting all the other members on side too. Let's put it on a wish list!

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
.... but I think somebody asked MaFt the other day about this and it turned out that only about 300 of 5000 had been reported in this fashion (memory fails me, I could be a bit wrong, but that was the trend).
Dennis

Try 2 posts above yours. ;) Twisted Evil

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Have I just been lucky??? Reply with quote

Have I just been lucky??? I don't download the mobile sites as there are so many around Bristol that the unit is always bleeping. I do about 25k miles a year including business motoring which is not alot I know, but I can't remember the last time I saw a van. We just seem to have more fixed cameras than most I guess.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
DennisN wrote:
.... but I think somebody asked MaFt the other day about this and it turned out that only about 300 of 5000 had been reported in this fashion (memory fails me, I could be a bit wrong, but that was the trend).
Dennis

Try 2 posts above yours. ;) Twisted Evil
Y'see? You're not old enough yet, but when you get there, you too will suffer short term memory loss.

mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so only 300 mobile sites are any good then...
been travelling 2 and from wales every day for the last few weeks 250 mile round trip. twice on a bridge i have seen an "incident support unit" a nice bright coloured van which happens to be on the database as a mobile site, are people just reporting any bright old thing?! or just coincidence they waiting on this bridge...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
... you too will suffer short term memory loss.
Just remind me. I've forgotten what it is. Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Have I just been lucky??? Reply with quote

CliffEdge wrote:
Have I just been lucky??? I don't download the mobile sites as there are so many around Bristol that the unit is always bleeping. I do about 25k miles a year including business motoring which is not a lot I know, but I can't remember the last time I saw a van. We just seem to have more fixed cameras than most I guess.
On the Ring Road heading west after the Yate turnoff, in a layby in the 2+ lane section - that mobile is there regularly- Mobile 6102 @50mph. You can't get much closer to North Bristol than that! MaFt is there any chance you could check your records and tell us how many times and when most recently I have reported seeing the van there? (short term memory loss means I'm not sure if it was since I got back from Corfu - i.e. during the last two weeks). Incidentally MaFt, whilst you're there, it should have Heading 260 - have I never mentioned it? Then there's the one on Hartcliffe Way, just north of Novers Lane in the pedestrian entrance to the park. Or how about the one that hides in the layby behind the bus shelter opposite Arnos Vale Cemetery, Totterdown? (And I can't avoid doing some of my 60K+ miles in Bristol).

Just because you're NOT paranoid, doesn't mean they'll never be looking out for you. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

mattstachurski wrote:
so only 300 mobile sites are any good then...
been travelling 2 and from wales every day for the last few weeks 250 mile round trip. twice on a bridge i have seen an "incident support unit" a nice bright coloured van which happens to be on the database as a mobile site, are people just reporting any bright old thing?! or just coincidence they waiting on this bridge...
Well, keep your eyes open on the overbridge at junction 23a, Magor services!! I haven't seen a van there since MaFt started asking us to report any vans we see, but you can bet your last dollar I'll not be nicked by Mobile 19859!!

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis: twice, and heading now updated ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: