Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - camras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

camras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lights
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: camras Reply with quote

can anyone tell me how top download buslane camras on atom tom one
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. At the moment there is no Bus Lane Cameras, as a category, in the Database. There has been some discussion in the Forums on the need for such a category. (The jury is still out on that).Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a debate on this one, just as there has been about traffic light cameras.

From a personal point of view, I would only condone something which warned a generally law abiding driver who accidentally digressed, or from a safety point of view.

Safety cameras are supposed to be in areas where there are accidents, so any warning, even to a driver who always travels below the speed limit is useful - doubly so for those of us who have a bit of difficulty doing so. Traffic light cameras warn you that the driver in front might do an emergency stop rather than drive through when they should, so both have a safety component.

As for Bus lane cameras, at the moment I cannot think of any reason to include them other than to allow irresponsible drivers to use bus lanes, but be able to re-join normal traffic when there is a camera. This is quite simply queue jumping, which is, at the least, bad manners. Also, since bus lanes are clearly marked, and just about impossible to drive in accidentally, why the need for larger and larger files, or more of them.

Unless there was a good safety case made for them (and I am open to suggestions) I think that to include them without such a safety case would debase the integrity of this site.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
As for Bus lane cameras, at the moment I cannot think of any reason to include them other than to allow irresponsible drivers to use bus lanes, but be able to re-join normal traffic when there is a camera.

As opposed to the speed camera POIs that allow irresponsible drivers to exceed the speed limit and then slow down when there is a camera? Yeah, whatever. Laughing

The difference with Bus lanes is that many of them aren't bus lanes 24 hours a day and you can quite legally drive in them at certain times.

Having POIs for bus lane camers is a bit of a waste of time in London though because virtually every bus lane has a camera. I guess you could have a warning system that warned you when a bus lane was outside it's hours of operation, but even then they change things around so often that the database would be a nightmare to keep up-to-date.

I see a lot of people who will never drive in the bus lane regardless of the times of operation. I have even seen cars refuse to drive in a bus lane to give way to an ambulance. It's a £100 fine so I don't blame them, at least the emergency services can just cancel their fines if they get photographed.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
neil01 wrote:
As for Bus lane cameras, at the moment I cannot think of any reason to include them other than to allow irresponsible drivers to use bus lanes, but be able to re-join normal traffic when there is a camera.

As opposed to the speed camera POIs that allow irresponsible drivers to exceed the speed limit and then slow down when there is a camera? Yeah, whatever. Laughing

Accepted, and no doubt this is the case for a significant percentage of drivers who use the database, but at least they slow down in the danger areas. However, this is of no relevance whatsoever to the point I was making, which was that I have doubts that there is a valid reason for bus lane camera warnings to be needed by a responsible driver, unlike for the other types of cameras; and that without such justification, I felt that the integrity of the site would be compromised.
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus lane cames are time stamped so if you can drive in it at that time you are ok as for a poi for them i think no as it will encourge law bracking as said before peps will use it then just hop out of it when near cam
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets also not forget, in the English Capital, Buses have cameras on the front so that they can photograph you even if there is not a static camera when you are in a bus lane.

Just a little tip I was given by a Park Lane motor dealership, which is that if you do park in a bus lane, lift the boot up of your car so that the cameras on the buses cannot read your number plate. Apparently they have not received a fine for "parking" in a bus lane since they introduced this "policy".

Please not that on some cars the number plate may not be attached to the boot and I cannot condone any action deemed to be illegal!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonys66 wrote:
i think no as it will encourge law bracking as said before peps will use it then just hop out of it when near cam

Sure, but as I pointed out that many people use the Speed Camera database so they can slow down for speed cameras. So by your logic, we should abolish the Speed Camera database because it encourages people to break the law. Rolling Eyes
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would ask, of those wishing to have a bus lane database is, how long before someone wants a database of double white lines, or ghost islands in the centre of roads?

No of course not, bus lanes are no different.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the police ignore many more far dangerous driving acts than speeding and cameras are used as a cash cow.
Why do some sanctiomonious souls seem so righteous about what a driver can and can't get away with ?

This is the real world, we have livings to earn and families to feed yet we are nannied around by a Government who would take every last penny we have to make sure they can get from A 2 B in the refined splender of "Blair Force 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc, Helichopper to Dorneywood or some tax funded country Pile for Romeo Prezza to sweeten his next conquest as she bends to strike a Croquet ball and he lends a "helping" hand.
Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whilst the police ignore many more far dangerous driving acts than speeding and cameras are used as a cash cow.
Exactly. Have you read the bit in the papers about the cameras at roadworks on the M1?

1000 people snapped in an hour going through the 50mph limit. They ran out of film.

Maybe the 1000 drivers were using the PGPSW database to help them break the law. :P

I would add though, the clown snapped at 94mph should have the book thrown at him.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the M1 cameras used in road works are now "Aeerage Speed" cameras.
Another subtle way to grab more money.
One lady 50+ lady driver having only recently learnt to drive following divorce from rat of a husband got done twice on round visit to dieing parent.
Her only way of making the visits due to work commitments to pay her way is to Drive. Faced with Heavy traffic and white van man behind her and trucks all around she went with the "flow" of traffic as she nearly got hit when they all braked for the first camera!
If she can't drive she will not be able to do her job, no doubt they will use camera money to pay her benefits. Crying or Very sad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
What I would ask, of those wishing to have a bus lane database is, how long before someone wants a database of double white lines, or ghost islands in the centre of roads? No of course not, bus lanes are no different.

I think it is extremely dangerous to overtake on a solid white line, it's even bordering on suicidal in some places.

Bus lanes are there to give buses priority at certain times of the day, but they are open to all traffic at other times.

How can you say that overtaking on a white line is "no different" to driving in a bus lane? Confused
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
How can you say that overtaking on a white line is "no different" to driving in a bus lane? Confused

Like many things in the English language there can be several meanings. I can see quite easily that you are thinking from a safety point of view they are totally different - and I agree with you on that. But have you also considered, another meaning, in that all the examples given are types of action which can't be made unintentionally (well at least by someone fit to be on the road) and in that context they are the same?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like many things in the English language there can be several meanings. I can see quite easily that you are thinking from a safety point of view they are totally different - and I agree with you on that.

That's exactly what I meant neil01. I couldn't understand why first some people wanted traffic light cameras as a database, then came bus lanes. I thought the natural progression would be to ask for a database for double white lines and ghost islands. Maybe speed bumps after that.

I also find it hard to understand people complaining e.g. 'My Sat Nav made me turn into a no entry', 'took me to the edge of a cliff' etc.

Personally I use my Sat Nav to get from A - B, I have the GB cameras installed as a reminder that the area in which I am travelling has had a number of accidents and 'extra' care is needed, especially in unfamiliar areas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: