Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RIDER Road Test
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RIDER Road Test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I forgot to mention. On my bike I fitted the cable to allow the bike to charge the unit whilst riding. I found what I thought was an ideal connector. Under the seat a wired connector not connected to anything and with the ignition switched on a 12v supply, confirmed by my voltmeter thingy.

So I wired it up and went for a test ride.

Horror, as I was riding along the unit kept restarting! Just like a PC when you press the reset button! At first I though it was a defect with the unit.

Back home I tested the unit on the bike with the ignition switched on. It never flackered. However when I started up the bike and reved it, it started resetting. The problem turned out to be that when reving the bike or with the engine running the voltage on that connector occassionaly dropped, i.e. it wasn't a constant smooth 12v supply. The voltage drop caused the TT Rider to restart each time. I have since wired it directly to the battery. This isn't a problem as long as I don't leave the unit on the bike for a great length of time. To be honest I can't forsee any occasion where I would do that, even when the bike is at home in the garage I take the TT indoors.

I'm no mechanic and I don't know why that voltage would drop or even if it should? Does anybody know?

So beware when mounting the unit on the bike, test the connection first with a voltage meter to ensure a steady 12v supply.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be down to a number of things, a very noisy alternator/ voltage regulator on the bike, ignition noise affecting the circuit (it depends where you connected the TT relative to the rest of the bikes electrical circuit), direct connection to the battery is probably your best bet as the capacity of the battery will keep the voltage presented to the TT unit semi stable in comparison to the raw alternator output, voltage drop and current drawn down certain wires will affect the installation, so without this knowledge or a wiring diagram it is difficult to be more specific.
The only this I would add is a direct connection to the battery has significant power behind it, please make sure you have fitted an inline fuse to the additional wiring feeding the TomTom unit as close as practically possible to the battery terminal - you don't want an electrical fire when/ if the wiring shorts out - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
voltage drop and current drawn down certain wires will affect the installation

That would be my guess too. Perhaps the wire you used was a bit dodgy or it couldn't deliver enough current to run the TomTom.

Kind of odd though, because the TT should run off the internal battery if it loses power. Hmm, maybe it was interference from something.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RIDER will turn itself off if it is in the cradle with external power and then loses that power source.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCPete wrote:
I have a couple of questions. Is there any way of changing the distance from the next turn or whatever, that the spoken instructions are given?
I sometimes find they are a bit late, ie too close to the turn / ring road etc.

Sadly no
Quote:
Also which POI speed camera map should I get to ensure its compatable with the Rider?

Any of the GO versions will be compatible, which one you choose is down to personal preference, I prefer the consolidated version personally.
Asturias
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: PC Interface Reply with quote

TT Rider has many good points, but the lack of a PC map interface is a major drawback. I frequently ride with my local IAM group and receive an itinerary by email. It is the devil's own job to program this on the unit and I always make mistakes. The most frequent instruction I have is "Turn around when possible"

When other riders ask me what I think of the Rider I always say buy a Garmin.

Since you can buy itineraries from Tom Tom, the software must exist to create such an itinerary, TT just won't make it available to users.

If anyone knows of any third party software that will do this job I will be very grateful.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: PC Interface Reply with quote

Asturias wrote:
Since you can buy itineraries from Tom Tom, the software must exist to create such an itinerary, TT just won't make it available to users.

Not correct, if you make an Itinerary on your RIDER/GO etc then you can save and share it.

I regularly create itineraries on the unit and don't find this an issue at all.
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a cool post regarding the RIDER: http://www.clubtomtom.com/general/no-man%e2%80%99s-ride-across-america-with-mad-maps-suzuki-and-tomtom/

Just thought I'd share.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: PC Interface Reply with quote

Asturias wrote:

If anyone knows of any third party software that will do this job I will be very grateful.

From the TomTom manual....
Quote:
Itinerary planning

Although 'Navigate to...' is fine for casual travel, it may be that you're planning a journey that's more ambitious. You may even want to save the details of this journey for future use or to pass them on to other users. Choose 'Itinerary planning' to create a new itinerary or amend an existing one.

An itinerary is essentially just a list of 'waypoints' and 'destinations'. Your best route is calculated, visiting each in turn (in the exact order you specify). In general, you'd add a 'destination' when you wanted countdown information to arrival on the main navigation view, otherwise you'd add a location as a 'waypoint' that simply has to be travelled through (i.e. it's the 'way you want to go').

A typical itinerary, showing both waypoints to be travelled through and destinations you want to arrive at.

When first started, the itinerary planner will be empty, of course. Use 'Add' to select locations in the normal way, choosing from 'Home', 'Favourite', 'Address', 'Recent destination', and so on. Each location will be added as a waypoint if the previous one was also a waypoint, otherwise it will be added as a destination.

Note that the exact menu options shown here will change depending on whether the current itinerary entry is a waypoint or destination, and on whether it has been visited already.

You can manage an individual entry in an itinerary by selecting it, after which you'll see the waypoint menu (above). Use 'Mark as waypoint' to change the entry from a destination to a waypoint, or 'Mark as destination' to change it from a waypoint to a destination.

Use 'Mark as 'visited'' to mark this itinerary entry and all preceding ones as completed, so that navigation will continue from the next (unvisited) entry. You can even go back and travel part of an itinerary again by selecting somewhere you've already been and using 'Mark as 'to visit'' , in which case this and all following itinerary entries will be included in navigation again.

'Delete item', 'Move item up' and 'Move item down' are self-explanatory.

If you want to save your itinerary for re-use in the future, or if you want to load a previous itinerary, choose 'Options', using 'Save itinerary' or 'Load itinerary' respectively. When saving, you can enter a name for the itinerary using the standard on-screen keyboard (by default it takes its name from your last destination).

By saving your itineraries, you can re-use them at a later date without having to re-enter any of the locations. Use this screen to save, load or delete an itinerary, or to start a new one.

Select 'Start navigation' on the 'Options' menu to start navigating.

Pretty sure the Home software lets you do it on your PC too.
Asturias
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

Yes, it's exactly this Itinerary Planning that I use. Since I'm usually looking for a sequence of roads I have to do it by map position. That means lots of scrolling, change of zoom position etc. It is this I referred to as the devil's own job. Also when scrolling a map the TT Rider often takes a scroll as an "enter" and adds a spurious position that has to be deleted. (I will use a Palm stylus in future, that might help with accuracy and the screen sensitivity).

This would all be so much easier on a PC screen. In fact in order to set an itinerary I open Auroroute on my PC so that I can see the road layouts at a sensible scale and keep the whole thing in perspective. Otherwisee it is impossible to program a complex itinerary accurately, trust me.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the manual, I appreciate that, but I have read that section in detail. This is usually good advice "read the manual"!!

I find the Rider great for point-to-point navigation and instructions are clear and very audible- even though I always wear earplugs. In fact the ability to do complex itineraries is a great feature, I'd just like it to be easier to use.
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

Asturias wrote:
I find the Rider great for point-to-point navigation and instructions are clear and very audible- even though I always wear earplugs. In fact the ability to do complex itineraries is a great feature, I'd just like it to be easier to use.

That's amazing that you can still hear it with earplugs in. I dind't realize that was possible. The sound the RIDER outputs must be pretty strong then.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

DavidHobbs wrote:
That's amazing that you can still hear it with earplugs in. I dind't realize that was possible. The sound the RIDER outputs must be pretty strong then.

I also use earplugs when using the velcro-backed speaker and can hear the instructions upto about 70 mph.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
... and can hear the instructions upto about 70 mph.
Which should be enough for anyone.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:
... and can hear the instructions upto about 70 mph.
Which should be enough for anyone.;)

Laughing Supreme Angel
tyketriker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom Rider and BMW = 2 week report

I contacted Tomtom Support on two items:

1 My mobile is not supportted on Rider but is on the other Tomtom products. I asked when the next software upgrade was scheduled. Answer was effectively go away and stop pestering us.

2 None of the four mounts work with a BMW R-series. Their reply was in a similar vein, go away and stop pestering us. Go look at 3rd parties for a solution.

Good News

Have just got one of the Nolan s-com helmets = GREAT!!!!

After several visits to my local Hein Gericke shop with very very helpful staff, the result=

Tomtom Rider has their intercom lead connectted into bluetooth receiver and into helmet.

Mobile phone is bluetoothed into helmet.

This gives full phone functions.

Can confirm that helmet can be bluetoothed direct with Tomtom Rider (thanks to Nolan support investigation) bypassing the Tomtom bluetooth unit. Problem with this is that if your mobile is not supportted by Tomtom then your mobile will need to be by lead.

For my mobile I have obtained a mini-usb to audio converter and then a Nolan intercomm lead. The Nolan intercom lead has different size jacks on each end and the helmet has two leads (other than the charge lead) each with different sizing.

So, mix and match and enjoy your riding.

Hope this rant / information is usefull to someone out there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: