Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSlim236 takes ages to get fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSlim236 takes ages to get fix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: GPSlim236 takes ages to get fix Reply with quote

I bought a GPSlim 236 based on the reviews in pocket gps and some comments on the forum saying it is a good GPS receiver. The unit was purchased from gpsforless.

Anyway, when you do eventually get a satellite fix, I have no complaints about the receiver - I am sitting in my TV room just now and I still have a fix to several satellites. This did not happen with my tomtom receiver on the older chipset.

What is really frustrating though is the time to fix, it is much worse than my tomtom receiver. The TT receiver took a max of 20-30 secs to get a fix. The holux takes at least 2-3 minutes every single time when it is switched on and sometimes 5 mins.

In fact today it refused to get a fix at all and I had to switch it off, remove the battery and reinsert it before it worked.

Do I have a faulty unit or do I possibly need a firmware upgrade?

I was also going to turn off the static navigation feature because I really don't like the way tomtom jumps from position to position - has anyone done this and is it advisable?

Thank you.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly the time to fix. Please make sure you are outside or at least in the vehicle the signal attenuation a house affords makes acquiring a lock allmost impossible, the fact the unit works at all inside a building is a good sign of its capabilities. Secondly if you are driving off instantly before acquirng the GPS postion lock then don't, a simple wait of a few seconds can make all the difference, if you are moving then the device will take considerably longer to lock on to the correct position.
Static Navigation - you really want this ON for in car usage to prevent (or minimise) the ammount of jumping around on the display, I turn SN OFF only when walking, it is easy to do using an application you can download from HERE
There have been a number of these devices imported that have required new firmware, but lets try the above few things out first - Mike
zb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Firstly the time to fix. Please make sure you are outside or at least in the vehicle the signal attenuation a house affords makes acquiring a lock allmost impossible, the fact the unit works at all inside a building is a good sign of its capabilities. Secondly if you are driving off instantly before acquirng the GPS postion lock then don't, a simple wait of a few seconds can make all the difference, if you are moving then the device will take considerably longer to lock on to the correct position.
Static Navigation - you really want this ON for in car usage to prevent (or minimise) the ammount of jumping around on the display, I turn SN OFF only when walking, it is easy to do using an application you can download from HERE
There have been a number of these devices imported that have required new firmware, but lets try the above few things out first - Mike

Thanks for your response. To confirm, I am not trying to get a fix inside the house. I switch the unit on, leave it on the dashboard and generally don't start driving off for about 20-30 secs and sometimes longer. I don't believe I have got a fix before driving unless I have waited for at least a couple of mins.
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm having this problem too.

When I first bought the unit, it could get a fix indoors and usually within 30 seconds. Recently when using the unit in the car, it could take up to 2 minutes to get a fix. I updated the firmware but the problem still remains.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you start driving before it has a fix. If so turn the gps on about a minute before you want to drive then it should have aquired a lock by the time you want to set off.

another issue that can cause long a TTFF is if you have moved a fair distance form where you were when you last have the reciver on this can be as little as 10-15 miles

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope what I usually have to do is stay stationary in the car for up to 2 minutes before it acquires a fix.
zb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omzy wrote:
Nope what I usually have to do is stay stationary in the car for up to 2 minutes before it acquires a fix.

And this is particularly frustrating because I bought the unit on the strength of reviews saying it gets a fix very very quickly!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also depends on when you last used the gps and if the batteryhad been run down

where did you get the receivers from just as a thought as few people seam to be haveing problems with grey imports

device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through THIS POST pay attention to the post buy JM HoluxUK as it contains iformation re serial number and firmware revision (to locate the serial number remove the back and it is under the battery), I have two Holux 236 devices both of which take around 30 seconds to acquire a fix, unless I haven't used them for a few days/ weeks. I certainly wouldn't have bought a second unit if I was not 100% happy with the first unit, they are a great bit of kit IMHO - Mike
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder - I have already updated the firmware to the latest version. What else can I do now?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try takeing the battery out for day or so to reset the gps the almonac might have become corrputed

device Lumia 950 xl
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Products with serial number starting 236-6XXXXX are goosed apparently.
Contact holux or the seller.

mikealder wrote:
Have a read through THIS POST pay attention to the post buy JM HoluxUK as it contains iformation re serial number and firmware revision (to locate the serial number remove the back and it is under the battery), I have two Holux 236 devices both of which take around 30 seconds to acquire a fix, unless I haven't used them for a few days/ weeks. I certainly wouldn't have bought a second unit if I was not 100% happy with the first unit, they are a great bit of kit IMHO - Mike
oznav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Looks like another person experiencing the same problem as countless others on the Holux GR 236. It's quite frustrating I will agree where in many cases it's quicker using the street directory. Youcan review my posts on the subject. Lesson is by from another more reputable manufacturer. I am deciding on whether to place my unit behind the rear wheels and send it to recyclers where at least it will become somthing more useful, like a fence post. I welcome you to review my comments and posts regarding the product.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Who is "Jim"? Is oznav just posting the same entry in multiple threads Sad

And, am I showing my age, but what does "goosed" mean? The source and meaning of such information would be helpful Smile .

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a north expresion for broken

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: