Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hardwiring a TomTom car kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardwiring a TomTom car kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Hardwiring a TomTom car kit Reply with quote

Not being a car expert I'm a bit catious about doing the above. I have no desire to screw up band new Avensis! There's a blank switch cover - should I start there?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good place to start as you can easily replace a blank switch plate. It's not hard but you need to remember that the cigarette lighter power lead supplied contains electronics to reduce the 12v vehicle power to 5v so you can't just cut it off and wire the power lead into the vehicle supply.

I bought a cigarette lighter extension lead, cut off the male end and tapped into the rear of the center console 12v supply to the cigarette lighter socket. I then ran the extension under the dash to a coinveninet point and connected the iPAQ cigare power lead to this. You MUST ensure it's properly insulated to prevent shorts etc. I also added a second blade type fuse in the extension as a precaution an taped all the connections with insulating tape.
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lead for this purpose comes in the box so it should be okay to just wire it in then maybe?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if it comes with a lead designed for hard-wiring then the electronics must be in the cradle :D
brad_eire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit wary about doing this with my volvo too - in the end I took it down to the local volvo dealers who fitted the hardwire from the battery so that it was ignition linked, meaning my battery won't go flat if I leave the car alone without driving it for a while.

I had already fitted the active mount to my console before bringing it to them so they knew that's where it was ment to be, and asked them kindly not to drill any holes in the dash - now I have a nice neat installation that won't kill my car Smile

By the way- does anyone know how to stop the iPaq from doing the whole "Connecting to host.." thing when I sit it into the cradle - there's nothing to connect to other than the car battery! Using bluetooth gps which is usually already connected, and besides is unrelated to this message..

Cheers,
Bradley
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad_eire wrote:
By the way- does anyone know how to stop the iPaq from doing the whole "Connecting to host.." thing when I sit it into the cradle - there's nothing to connect to other than the car battery!

That is odd? It suggests that the iPAQ thinks it has some sort of serial connection when it connects to the cradle sync connector. It certainly shouldn't come up with that message.
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: TT 2210 specific car kit Reply with quote

I've just had a TomTom HP 2210 specific car kit cradle installed, but have been warned elsewhere that it must be wired to a 5v supply.

The TT cradle has a label on the back saying 12 - 24v (which TT support has confirmed in an email), but I'm wary of testing - just in case it blows my 2210.

Does anyone know if the latest cradle (looks like one complete moulded unit, RJ11 one side, barrel (power) connector on the other should in fact be wired to 12v?.

Secondly, whilst trying to put a multimeter on it tonight (connectors too small so I cant), I've noticed that it is permanantly powered on (even when no key n the ignition) - is this right, and will it not affect the life / charge of the car battery?.

Hope you chaps can help (again).

Cheers

Don
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carkit should be wired to a 12v supply. It contains the necessary gubbins to reuce the voltage to 5v to supply to the PocketPC.

You should be fine with it wired to a permanent feed, without a PocketPC connected it will have a negligible current drain.
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Darren - thats peace of mind, I can't afford another repair (it's only two months old, and already had a screen replaced!).

I might have to think about getting the cradle rewired to come on with the vehicle ignition, as the little green light on the bottom of the cradle may attract unwelcome attention whilst the car is unattended?.

Anyone had any problems with breakins, and GPS accessories being targeted?.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too get the "connecting to host" message whenever I put my 2210 into my Brodit holder. I've never worked out why.

For those of you who are worried about continuously powered pdas and bluetooth receivers flattening your car battery you can stop now. Rough fag packet calculations confirm my gut feeling that this combination will flatten a hundred amp/hour car battery by about the middle of the next Ice Age.

Seriously though, if the power consumption of gps does cause a problem then it is probably time you looked to replace your battery anyway.
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Antitheft Reply with quote

thedon,

I'm concerned about this too.
Perhaps a small sticker over the LEDs would suffice.

I'm wondering if a small piece of black material stretched over it would affect the signal?

Alternatively, a small slit in the fabric covering the parcel shelf would allow it be pushed under, and out of sight.

I doubt most half-wit thieves would be looking out for a GPS device. They'll nick anything shiny though - I had a window smashed recently for an empty CD case.

(Thankfully they didnt get as far as the door pocket where the GPS was hidden!)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Antitheft Reply with quote

thax1 wrote:
I'm concerned about this too.
Perhaps a small sticker over the LEDs would suffice.
I'm wondering if a small piece of black material stretched over it would affect the signal?
Alternatively, a small slit in the fabric covering the parcel shelf would allow it be pushed under, and out of sight.

Some black masking tape would suffice, I think the OP was referring to the carkit cradle for the PocketPC rather than the GPS receiver though so the parcel shelf suggestion wouldn't apply Confused
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, where wouldn't I be without my black masking tape! With the amount of gadgets, gismo's and charging I have to do, when the bedroom lights are off at night it used to look like the inside of a cockpit! That black insulating tape works a treat Laughing
Damian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back to one of Darren's posts earlier on in this thread about hardwiring in the 12v supply to the cigarette lighter

Is it as simple as getting the extension, chopping the end off and then tap into the wires that feed the lighter socket.

I have yet to dismantle mine yet so haven;t looked what;s behing the socket.

Is the extension lead basically a positive and negative wire, and is the lighter socket the same or is there more too it, if I tap into the feed for the lighter socket where is the fuse, is it in the socket therefore my PDA won't be protected or is further back down the electrics

As yo ucan tell by my explanation this is ot my forte, am I over complicating it, and advice or website links would be greatly received

Cheers

Damian
Stoneghost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too experienced the 'connecting to host' message, i narrowed it down to my Journal Bar.

I'm not sure if its going to help you out but all i did was tap the tick icon to stop it trying to connect to a connection that doesn't exist. Maybe if you don't have journal bar perhaps it's something similar?

Hope this helps!

James

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: