Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 in the USA???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 in the USA???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbsmsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 in the USA??? Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone with a UK version succesfully used their i3 in the USA???
I've got my i3 and the pre-installed uk and ireland, etc mapping and have just purchased a 512mb sandisk card so i can load up US states to it as i need them Trouble is i'm confused as to exactly which Mapsource CD/DVD to buy(?). I need to navigate around the US generally, specifically Arizona and New York States in August. I think i need MapSource City Select North America (version 8 due out this month i think?).

.....Also should i buy the software or would it be just as cheap to just buy another i3 from the US that's already bundled with the relevant sofware? I've seen cds as expensive as £283!!!

I just wondered if anyone had already had this issue and what they did????

CHEERS! lbsmsp.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loads of threads on this subject..do a search....but briefly ,yes it can be and has been done...
4 options:
1.city select/navigator usa
2. metroguide usa version 4.01 (only)
3.any mg loaded via img3gps software
4.any mg without img2gps..will only show where you are on map (no autorouting)
wherethehellarewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibsmsp,

There are a few threads running about this already this one http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41673 gives all the info you need to load the data to the unit. Be careful though, I was foolish enough to try and load the new maps onto my original SD card assuming that they would be added to the maps that were originally there, unfortunately the new maps over-wrote my UK maps Evil or Very Mad See here for my saga http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42140
My cock up have got me thinking about buying an i3 when I get to Canada rather than risking screwing up again Rolling Eyes
Good luck
lbsmsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.javascript:emoticon(':D')..thanks for this guys, i'll have a search and a look at those links....
lbsmsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a little read, would i be right to think that Navigator doesn't auto route and let you get from A to B but City Select does? Obviously i just want to put an address in and have the unit guide me there, not just to see where i am now on the map......HMMMMMM, it's only there to confuse us obviously!

I'm still wondering if it would be easier to buy a second unit from the US?
Confused
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

city select and navigator are very simular...navigator is slowly replacing select and will be the only one available soon....the i3 in the states costs about £150 so its a viable proposition
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just come back from holiday in the usa and i used my i3 with
city select v6 and i must say it worked very well indeed no more shouting at the wife you made me miss the turn Laughing Out Loud had a much better time cos i had my i3
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODTROTTER wrote:
city select v6 and i must say it worked very well indeed no more shouting at the wife you made me miss the turn Laughing Out Loud had a much better time cos i had my i3

you are sooo right m8..i've used a sat nav twice over there and wouldn't drive overthere without one...the us is so big and the distances so vast that with a sat nav you can easily judge how long a journey will take..even though the signage is good its re-assuring to know exactly where you are...
lbsmsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODTROTTER wrote:

Cool.....what method did you use to load up the US maps to your i3? Is it the same i3 your using un the UK? I was hoping i'd simply buy another transflash card, buy the software and load up the relevant maps to the card...but it seems it's not that easy!...Bob is not my uncle in this case!!!
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the same i3 as i use in uk just cot maps from ebay make sure the unlock codes are unused and a blank flash card pick the parts you want to load in mapsource then send them to the i3 jobs a goodin
wherethehellarewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODTROTTER wrote:
yes the same i3 as i use in uk just cot maps from ebay make sure the unlock codes are unused and a blank flash card pick the parts you want to load in mapsource then send them to the i3 jobs a goodin

I'm off to Canada in 5 weeks and am thinking of buying the City Navigator North America v8 CD. Using the method you describe above will the i3 autoroute for you simply by dropping the maps straight onto the card and then entering the post/zip code ?

Would I be right in assuming that you dont need to use the img2gps facility in this case rodtrotter ?
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend took reverse trip home to UK after trip to far east, OZ and NZ. After being treated like a terrorist by officious US immigration, only there for 6 Hours they searched his bags and gave him the 3rd degree as to why he was carrying a Sat Nav "hidden" in his clothes.
Box size and his limited baggage and the need to "wrap" the unit safely were a difficult concept for the Yanks. He explained that the unit only had European mappping thinking that would help his case. He was taken to another holding room whilst they made "further enquiries".
A little angry at his treatment, he was warned that he should be careful and that his "sort" with "attitude" was not welcome in the USA.
Just a regular businessman going home to his family, he was a little perplexed and cancelled the familes trip to Florida!
Plenty of other placed to go Laughing
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wherethehellarewe wrote:
RODTROTTER wrote:

I'm off to Canada in 5 weeks and am thinking of buying the City Navigator North America v8 CD. Using the method you describe above will the i3 autoroute for you simply by dropping the maps straight onto the card and then entering the post/zip code ?

Would I be right in assuming that you dont need to use the img2gps facility in this case rodtrotter ?

i dont think the north usa maps include canada,might be wrong though..if its ok you dont need the img2gps software..
wherethehellarewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
wherethehellarewe wrote:
RODTROTTER wrote:

i dont think the north usa maps include canada,might be wrong though..if its ok you dont need the img2gps software..

Zogman

This page http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp on the Garmin site says that City NAvigator North America v8 covers USA, Canada and Puerto Rico.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right mate ..i just zoomed in on to edmonton using the 'map viewer' and indeed it goes down to street level...but to include porto rico!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: