Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 530 POI Alert Sound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

530 POI Alert Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: 530 POI Alert Sound Reply with quote

Hi
Anybody out there figured out if its posible to change the alert sound for active POI's on the 530. The default is not exactly an alert more like a quiet sqeak or quack!!! I know there is nothing in the menus or POI editor to control this but it must be possible....

I have had a look at the wav, files on the nav via my PC. The sound it seems to use is called default.wav. So i have copied another wav that i would like to here for alerts to this file name...... but you guessed it. It still uses the original alert. I have email navman about it... but waiting to here back.

My only other guess is that the sound it uses is in a dat file like the voices..

So anyone else shed any light on this....

Also i read on the navman web that the 530 only supports a 512mb SD card is this true.... surely it can support bigger, its not cost effective to buy 512 anymore.....!
http://www.navmanstores.com/eu/product_details.php?category=Navman+GPS&id=362

Cheers
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it appears to use a file which is marked as read-only, and the attribute isn't changeable.
smoose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim

But whats is the file name??? :D

Any idea regarding the max SD size the 530 can use
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the default soundfile for the Speed Camera POI is default.wav, but this can be changed quite easily.

On my 530 I've used the single file version of the Speed Camera POI. If you use the multiple file version it will be a little different to what follows, but it will become obvious what has to be changed.

PART 1

o Boot up your PC and when fully running connect your 530 to your PC using the USB cable.

o Switch on the 530 and your PC should recognise it and the 530 will shortly show a USB connection animation (this proves on your 530 you're connected to your PC).

o DON'T fire up SmartST on your PC.

o Run Windows Explorer and you'll see MOBILE DEVICE towards the bottom - this is the 530.

PART 2

o On your PC create a .wav file that you want to use for a Speed Camera alert - I used a free Synth Voice creator from Tucows to make the words SPEED! SPEED! I called the resulting .wav file speed2.wav, and put it in a directory of my choice on my PC.

o Now, on Windows Explorer, go to this chosen directory and highlight your created .wav file - in my case speed2.wav. Press CTRL-C to get it ready for copying.

o Now, on Windows Explorer, go to MOBILE DEVICE and go to the Windows directory. You may have to click on MOBILE DEVICE for Windows Explorer to show the directories within it.

o Within this Windows directory click on any white space to make sure the window has focus.

o Press CTRL-V and your .wav file (in my case speed2.wav) should get copied across into this Windows directory.

PART 3

o Using Windows Explorer, drill down through the following directories under MOBILE DEVICE:

MY FLASH DISK
NAVMAN
LIGHTNING
NAVMAN
MYPOI

In the MYPOI directory you should see three files:

SPEEDCAM.BM
SPEEDCAM.INI
SPEEDCAM.MAP

o Highlight SPEEDCAM.INI file and press CTRL-C.

o Go to your previous chosen directory on your PC, click on white space to get focus, then press CTRL-V. SPEEDCAM.INI should now appear in this directory.

o Use NOTEPAD to open this file.

o Change the line:

soundfile=default.wav

to

soundfile=speed2.wav

(replace speed2.wav filename with the one you have used!)

o Now save the file and copy it to the MYPOI directory using the CTRL-C and CTRL-V method.

o When doing the transfer you may get an info box come up from Microsoft saying that some files may be changed when transferring to a mobile device. Just click on OK.

END

I must just say that I haven't heard it work yet as I'm miles away from any Speed Cameras, but surely changing these two files should make it work and without trashing your 530?
smoose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks unhban

Well... it didn't work on my unit...

To start.... the ini files in MYPOI dir don't have any lines regarding soundfile, even adding it and pointing it to a custom wav file doesn't make a difference.

Even replacing the default.wav file with my custom one called the same doesn't work.

I've tested it with a camera as i have one up the road!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: