Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I3 limitations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 limitations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: I3 limitations Reply with quote

I3 limitations.
I use my I 3 every day traveling around the northwest ,and although 95% of the time it will get us there ,but we find that when we are given an address on an industrial estate with just a company name we do struggle although it gets us in the genaral area. Now for the bad bit, We had to do some work in Walkden near Manchester and Walkden is quite a sizable town and the I3 could not find Walkden never mind the street name, it eventualy found the street under Manchester ??????????????? and only yesterday we had to go to the Birch ind estate near haywood Bury and it did not exist on the I3 maps and the estate has been there for over 30 years. When we finaly did get there the triangle on the screen was in limbo so to speak, no roads or rivers just a grey blank screen.

Sorry for the rant guys but has anyone else experienced this.

Regards
John
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its the industrial estate im thinking of then it not on any map the building shoud be postcoded though

not all industiral estates are on paper maps even though in the case of birch the a sign a the junction where you turn right heywood distribution park is there as it a much bigger estate something like birch isnt big enough though

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a little annoying, but its an information issue, not a unit issue. And in general is a problem with industrial estates as the roads are private

sites on this estate do appear with postcodes however.

With the greater manchester area most things are listed under manchester
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a limitation of the i3, it's clearly a limitation in the map data provided by navteq... the i3 can only find what it has been told exists!

you'd find it would be the same on any unit that uses navteq maps...

MaFt
john59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, so postcodes are the way to go Smile
dab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my i3 all the time for finding my way to different companies in the North West, and Post Codes are definately the way to go.
You don't quite get "to the door" as companies don't always give a street number. I use No.1 and it usually gets me close enough.

Also, make sure that your i3 has V8 maps, and not the older V7.
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: i3 not so good if you don't know postcode? Reply with quote

Had my i3 for a few weeks now, and whilst I agree its great when you know the full postcode, it doesn't seem to be so good if you DONT know the postcode. What I don't get is, if I try to enter a destination from just the street name, it very often can't find the street at all in its database, (or it offers me just certain ones of the same name in different towns but not the one I want). However, if I find out the full postcode for the same destination, then it will offer me the correct street and just ask me to select house number.

So how come, when the street I'm looking for clearly IS contained in its database, why is it only offered in the results when I search via the postcode?

Also, when you enter a postcode and get down to the street, it seems it has to be given a house number. This is the case for locations which don't actually have any house numbers in reality. It appears the only way to complete the entry of your destination is to enter a random house number anyway. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

If I 've posted some incorrect statements here, then I'm probably not familiar enough with the correct operation of the unit yet! If so, appreciate any guidance as to how I should be using it in instances as described above. I'm a newbie - be gentle with me Laughing
Audio v2.30
HTC Desire Android Smartphone
--------------------------------------------------------
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI guitareth,

Regarding postcodes, if there is no house no then you just enter " 0 " and then the i3 will put you somewhere around the centre of the postcode, near enough for you to find anyway. I have done this a few times and just asked someone where the house is, only to find it was only a few yards from where I was. Basically it puts you in the ballpark.

What I tend to do now is check on the bt site for a phone number check and when it finds it , it gives you the postcode also. Ok if you have some details available.

Regards....Dil

Shro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Postcodes still don;t work Reply with quote

Thought I'd share my experience on this with i3

Was searching for a particular address in Slough Industrial estate. the Postcode finder did seem to have the postcode in its database. However when I selected this to get the location, it threw me off by displaying a completely different addres... with a DIFFERENT POSTCODE !! 8O

Wonder if anybody faced a similar situation.

What I then did was (after reaching the place... somehow) added the location to my Favourites and it worked great . :P

The other thing I tried was the laborious way of first identifying the location through Google Earth, getting the Lats & Longs and adding to Custom POIs
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Postcodes still don;t work Reply with quote

Shro wrote:
Thought I'd share my experience on this with i3

Was searching for a particular address in Slough Industrial estate.

Wasn't Wernham-Hogg was it? ;-)
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: i3 not so good if you don't know postcode? Reply with quote

guitareth wrote:
...... whilst I agree its great when you know the full postcode, it doesn't seem to be so good if you DONT know the postcode. What I don't get is, if I try to enter a destination from just the street name, it very often can't find the street at all in its database, (or it offers me just certain ones of the same name in different towns but not the one I want). However, if I find out the full postcode for the same destination, then it will offer me the correct street and just ask me to select house number.

So how come, when the street I'm looking for clearly IS contained in its database, why is it only offered in the results when I search via the postcode?

Anyone care to comment on the above, as I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Is it really the case that you really must know your destination postcode in order to use i3 successfuly?
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP! Anyone care to answer my last question? Please! Crying or Very sad [/i]
slatermethuen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitareth wrote:
BUMP! Anyone care to answer my last question? Please! Crying or Very sad [/i]

I'm afraid I don't have a solution, but I can confirm that I am also experiencing this problem, and it is very annoying having to look up a postcode when I only know the street name/house number.

E.g. Searching for SO53 4HZ finds Renown Close in Eastleigh, but searching for Renown Close yields nothing in the locality.

Another one: SO14 5RP finds Princes Street in Southampton, but the i3 cannot find this street by name.

Please could some other i3 users confirm this issue with these addresses? These were the very first two searches I have ever performed on my new i3 and, so far, I am not too impressed. Maybe I am making a basic mistake in the way I am doing the search?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found both of these on my i3 without a problem. Confused

Where to / Address / England / Eastl (gives Eastleigh, Hants as an option) / House No 0 / Street Reno (gives Renown Close as the only option)

Where to / Address / England / Southa (gives Southampton, Hants as an option) / House No 0 / Street Prin (gives Princes [Close, Court...] as an option) / Select (gives Princes Street as the third option)
Samsung Galaxy S21
slatermethuen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!

When I was searching, at the 'City or Postal Code' screen, I was selecting 'Search All'. I assumed that this would search all locations in England, but obviously not Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: