Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi comments and questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi comments and questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Nuvi comments and questions Reply with quote

I picked up a 310 from Halfords today. I have a few comments based on about 20 minutes playing with it in the car.

- map update is very slow. When going round roundabouts especially, its all over the place. Luckily you won't be looking at the map then, but its still a bit poor.

- The voice is very robotic. Even my old tom tom PDA and route 66 on my Ngage were better than this. If you have a limited range of words, it can't be that difficult to string them together properly.

- How often does the voice tell you about a turn? It seems to go off 0.9 miles, then 0.7 miles, then twice near the turn.

- the terms used aren't natural for driving (at least to me). Firstly, whats "0.9 miles"? How about "in one mile" or "in 500 yards"? There don't seem to be yards anywhere, just feet when you are close. I don't know how many feet I am from a junction, give me 50 yards.

Other than that, the bluetooth seems good, but I don't know how to download the phonebook (although voice dialling seems to pass through to my nokia), the mp3 player looks OK, and the volume of the voice is good.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI mrklaw and all, I read your comments with interest as I should receive my 310 tomorrow.
How much did you pay in halfords by the way? (£350 on the net ) also what were you using before the nuvi. I already have an i3 so the distances dont really bother me as I`m used to it. The map updates, would they be any quicker with an arial attached, I have this on the car so will try with and without over the weekend
I believe it is the same connection as the i3.

Also have been informed when using a mobile on bluetooth to use a power cable as it can drain your phone battery very quickly.

Regards....Dil[/quote][/b]

mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £350 but they said they'd refund the difference if I found a retail store doing it cheaper. Someone said they got one from Halfords for £306, so hopefully I can chase them down

previously I had a tom tom on an ipaq (going back a couple of years), an ngage with route 66 on it (surprisingly good, and the ngage has a loud speaker), and I've been trying out a sony U50T recently
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I ordered mine from MNC Group on the internet having checked out everywhere else first, cost £299. As I said before, found it has a lot to offer , mp3, bluetooth etc also it might be a bit easier to carry around than the i3, the wife has now stopped me putting it in my trouser pocket as she says I look like Lynford Christie ( I think that`s his name ) with his famous lynchbox Laughing . I wish!!!

Regards...DIL

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: