Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Database formats
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Database formats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Database formats Reply with quote

Just a request -- if the good people who put the databases together have the time and the inclination? Please don't see this as a criticism -- it is absolutely not that at all. The people who put it all together do a sterling job and I'm most grateful to them.

Would it be possible (or sensible?) to have a fourth format, where the files are grouped by speed only (5-ish files?), and not by camera type as well?

I ask because:

(a) when I'm driving I'm really more interested in the speed I shoud be below, than the mechanics of the camera that will nail me, and

(b) I don't always want the icons cluttering up the display (we have a LOT of cameras in Staffs!), and I turn them off when I need to see more map in a zoomed-out view, and 23 POIs take a while to turn off and then on again.

I know I'm probably just lazy, but if it would be a simple process to re-order the database into a smaller set of files defined by speed only, I for one would be most grateful.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Database formats Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:
Would it be possible (or sensible?) to have a fourth format, where the files are grouped by speed only (5-ish files?), and not by camera type as well?

I ask because:

(a) when I'm driving I'm really more interested in the speed I shoud be below, than the mechanics of the camera that will nail me, and
Its generally considered a good idea to know which camera type you are approaching, because of the varying ranges that the cameras have, 2km for mobiles down to a few yards for Truvelos.

BUT, its relatively easy to do a DIY job, if you download the single file as a CSV or XLS. Open it in Excel, extract the speed from the camera names, sort by that and then split into separate files.

OK, that does sound a bit complcated Embarassed , but it isn't, honestly Laughing

The CSV should have 3 columns, the third being the name. If you paste the following formula into the fourth, that will extract the speed.
Code:
=MID(C2,FIND("@",C2,1),99)
You'll get a #VALUE! error for those cameras that don't have a speed, but that won't affect the sort. I'm sure that somebody will post a tidier method, that checks whether the @ exists.

Oh, OK, I've found it now:

Code:
=IF(ISERROR(MID(C2,FIND("@",C2)+1,9999)),"",MID(C2,FIND("@",C2)+1,9999))
Just don't ask me to explain it Exclamation Exclamation :P

Hope that helps Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I'm a dab hand at day-to-day Excel, so I should manage to do the split.

How do I turn it back into a proper POI file for Palm (OV2)?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:
How do I turn it back into a proper POI file for Palm (OV2)?
Use POIConverter from http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/poiconverter.html

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldboy.

I notice that one needs a qtXLS (?) licence to be able to export to Excel, which I don't seem to have, although I have a legit copy of Excel.

That's just a minor curiosity, as one can export to .ASC, which is (it seems) more or less the same as CSV, and simply rename the exported file from "filename.asc" to "filename.csv", which Excel happily accepts.

I would expect (but haven't tried) that Excel will export it as a CSV file again, as no doubt the qtXLS licence will prevent an XLS file from being converted back to an OV2 file.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excel can use 'Save as ...' to Save in CSV Format.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Database formats Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:

I know I'm probably just lazy, but if it would be a simple process to re-order the database into a smaller set of files defined by speed only, I for one would be most grateful.

We all use the database in different ways and in different units.
So I followed up this suggestion for Garmin.

Using the single file .GPX file for Garmin opened in MapSource, it takes me 3 minutes to create 8 new groups of SpeedCamera and saved as 8 new files sorted by speed [0,20,30,40,50,60,70,?]

Quote:
when I'm driving I'm really more interested in the speed I shoud be below, than the mechanics of the camera that will nail me, and...

Again this is a good sugestion as on the Garmin POI 'overlay' the cameras could show less clutter if
Quote:
MOBILE:9999@40
was replaced by 40M

On the main Garmin database do we all want to know the camera ID as we drive
Quote:
20-G-16027
could be replaced by 20G.

Less clutter visually on the screen, but I have not managed to find a way to rename 9000 cameras in Garmin yet, but perhaps taking these new Garmin speed files into Excel will provide a method???

Still working on it!
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Database Formats Reply with quote

If you dowwnload the Destinator database it is already in .csv format, you just need to put the columns in the correct order.
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: