Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Microsoft Mappoint to TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Mappoint to TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Microsoft Mappoint to TomTom Reply with quote

I've got a route planned out in Mappoint which consists of about 10 different waypoints. Is there any way I can export that route and use it in TomTom.

Having to maually input each of the waypoints as POI's would be rather tedious!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do an Excel macro to convert them into the ITN format, but I seem to remember that there are already programs out there that do this for you.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MarkHewitt
I often plan a trip on the PC using Microsoft Autoroute (with Waypoints) and then transfer the data to TT5 but I do not know about Mappoint. I will be interested in any of the answers that you receive.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You can do an Excel macro to convert them into the ITN format, but I seem to remember that there are already programs out there that do this for you.

Well for now I can't even find out how to save the particular route I've devised. Is it possible? There is a save map option, but that seems to save all the changes to the whole map, not just the particular route I want.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi MarkHewitt
I often plan a trip on the PC using Microsoft Autoroute (with Waypoints) and then transfer the data to TT5 but I do not know about Mappoint. I will be interested in any of the answers that you receive.

Mappoint is just a bloated version of Autoroute (with programmative access to the objects) - the transfer process should be the same. Are you importing waypoints as POIs, or are you importing itineraries?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi MarkHewitt

Mappoint is just a bloated version of Autoroute (with programmative access to the objects) - the transfer process should be the same. Are you importing waypoints as POIs, or are you importing itineraries?

I've planned a route and can't see any way to export that. So instead I put pushpins at all the route points, but I can't find a way to export that either. If I click 'Export to Excel' all it gives me is a list of the information contained in the tags for each of the pushpins, no location based info at all.

If there is a sensible way to export a route or POI's to Excel then I can't find it Sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've planned your route, close Mappoint. It will ask if you want to save the changes. Say yes and save the file as whatever you want to cal it. It should save as a .ptm file. Next, download ITNConv and instal it. Open your .ptn file and save it as a TomTom .itn file and stick the resultant file into your .itn directory.

You should then be able to open the itinerary in TomTom.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!! That works perfectly! :D

Thank you.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ITNconv is a handy little programme. I use it with Autoroute and now I see that one can use it with Mappoint. Its great when one can use a small programme that’s free and works perfectly. I must admit that until a few months ago I hadn’t heard of it until I read about it on this forum. One lives and learns.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a big part missing from TomTom's product range IMO. It would be great to be able to plan out a route in absolute detail on your PC and transfer it to your TomTom knowing that it will follow exactly the same route as you've planned on screen.

The mappoint method is okay but I'm relying on the mappoint routing being the same as the TomTom routing. As I can't even see what route the itinery gives me on TomTom Mobile without a GPS fix I'll just have to hope for the best!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MarkHewitt
Yes, Tomtom has features that I never use yet lacks features that I would often use, and to be able to plan a journey on the PC is one of the features that Tomtom lacks.

However, I have had no problem adding waypoints from Autoroute via ITNconv to my PDA/tomtom and then checking the planned journey in map mode to see if the waypoints are as I would wish.
The snag is that this method works ok if the planned journey is in the UK but of course I cant check a planned journey with waypoints (street level) on the French map owing to the fact that my GPS fix is here in the England.
Having read all this perhaps some bright spark will point out a way for me to overcome the problem and make me look foolish for not spotting the obvious. Er! I don’t mind looking foolish.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this doesn't work with all versions but give it a try:

Quote:
- Itinerary planning can only be completed (including calculating the route) with a valid GPS signal present.

Workaround(5.1 only!):- tap the A - B icon (Advanced planning), set departure and destination (depart from near your location), calculate the route, select "Route" in the bottom left corner, select "Show route demo",tap the sreen and confirm thar you want to stop the animated demo. Now go to itinerary planning. When clicking "Done" now your TomTom thinks it stands at the point where you stopped the demo.

It can confirm that it also works on 5.21.

Regards

Roger
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
I know this doesn't work with all versions but give it a try:

Quote:
- Itinerary planning can only be completed (including calculating the route) with a valid GPS signal present.

Workaround(5.1 only!):- tap the A - B icon (Advanced planning), set departure and destination (depart from near your location), calculate the route, select "Route" in the bottom left corner, select "Show route demo",tap the sreen and confirm thar you want to stop the animated demo. Now go to itinerary planning. When clicking "Done" now your TomTom thinks it stands at the point where you stopped the demo.

It can confirm that it also works on 5.21.

Regards

Roger

Also works on TomTom Mobile 5.2, cheers 8)
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
I have in the past tried the Advanced Planning / Route Demo and I agree that it can work. However, when the journey is a long one and the waypoints many it is not very practical.

Example - We will pretend that I want to go from Reims to Clermont Ferrand (France) travelling through certain villages. Although the journey is about 340 miles Tomtom will plan the route in seconds. However, the route that it will choose will differ from the way that I want to go and so I would insert waypoints to take me along my preferred route. Trying to achieve that in Demo Mode is difficult and time consuming.

The other way is to use Itinerary Planning on Tomtom or on Autoroute with ITNconv. This method works apart from the fact that you cannot see the finished route on Tomtom because Demo will not run from the Itinerary planning neither will the chosen route show on ‘Browse Map without a GPS fix.
The more waypoints that one inserts the greater the possibility of error so a check is important. The only way that I have found to check the route is to wait until I reach France and a GPS fix made. I can then see the route on the map and zoom in at the waypoints to see that all is in order before commencing the journey.
If anyone can tell me a different way I will be well pleased.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor

I don't think you are using the procedure correctly.

To take your example

Quote:
Example - We will pretend that I want to go from Reims to Clermont Ferrand (France) travelling through certain villages. Although the journey is about 340 miles Tomtom will plan the route in seconds. However, the route that it will choose will differ from the way that I want to go and so I would insert waypoints to take me along my preferred route.

Set up your itinerary, starting from the first waypoint outside of Reims, with all the waypoints you require then using advanced planning set up a short route from Reims to ANYWHERE near. Run the demo and once the demo starts cancel it.

Return to the itinerary and upon exiting the itinerary TomTom will calculate and show the full itinerary route from Reims just as if you had a GPS fix at Reims.

You can then browse this on the map and adjust accordingly.

Regards

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: