Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Points you have by participating on the site's content
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Points you have by participating on the site's content
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
visitor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Points you have by participating on the site's content Reply with quote

What exactly is this ?

I sent in a new camra location a long time ago now, but NOTHING happend ?

Points you have 0 by participating on the site's content
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what page did you see that?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
On what page did you see that?

It's the Your Account page.

I believe it's a feature that hasn't been implimented yet.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that one. Indeed, that is a standard functionality of the Bulletin Board software that we chose not to use. It is completely unrelated to the subscription or camera submission features.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
visitor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, that if members sent in camera locations, then that person could also download the new camera database without paying the £2

Why would members submit new locations ? while they are being sold to everyone
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was thinking, that if members sent in camera locations, then that person could also download the new camera database without paying the £2

If you are the first to submit a new fixed location then you get a free LIFETIME membership.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why would members submit new locations ? while they are being sold to everyone

Even if the Lifetime membership weren't being offered then i would still pay. The way i see it I'd keep the database updated with my local cameras and so would someone else, then when I'm in someone else's neck of their woods their information would be of use to me and visa versa. The £2 is just for the admin of someone collating all the UKs cameras and putting them together in a big easy database on a website. Otherwise how else would you get the information for cameras in other locations when heading, say 200 mile up country?
visitor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are the first to submit a new fixed location then you get a free LIFETIME membership.

1) Well I submitted a new location, and its not in the April database, and that was sevral months ago.

2) and I dont have any lifetime downloads, and since its not in the database, I guess its not been added.

3) I drive all around the UK, while my snooper does bleep a lot, I have noticed the Tom Tom is giving an alert in the middle of nowhere for fixed Gatso's that have never been there and never will...

So unless someone here is going to drive to those locations, then dont kid yourself, the database is not trustworthy.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitor wrote:
2) and I dont have any lifetime downloads, and since its not in the database, I guess its not been added.

As you're not a subscriber, I'd say you wouldn't know if it had been added or not.

visitor wrote:
3) I drive all around the UK, while my snooper does bleep a lot, I have noticed the Tom Tom is giving an alert in the middle of nowhere for fixed Gatso's that have never been there and never will...

As you are probably using a cracked version of the database there is no merit in your statement.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Well I submitted a new location, and its not in the April database, and that was several months ago.

Have submitted many, have free lifetime membership and continue to contribute.

Quote:
2) and I don't have any lifetime downloads, and since its not in the database, I guess its not been added.

It may not have been verified

Quote:

I use my i3 all over the UK and have never had a problem with false alerts.

Quote:
So unless someone here is going to drive to those locations, then don't kid yourself, the database is not trustworthy.

Absolute rubbish. Never failed me in 5 months of use over many thousands of miles.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitor wrote:
I have noticed the Tom Tom is giving an alert in the middle of nowhere for fixed Gatso's that have never been there and never will...

So unless someone here is going to drive to those locations, then dont kid yourself, the database is not trustworthy.

So have you reported them so they can be removed from the database? Or are you happier just moaning about them?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been grateful for the pgpsw database for the last 9 months (doing about 80,000 miles a year Whitevanman to anywhere UK), even though I NEVER intentionally exceed speed limits.
I bought a new GO910 two weeks ago and sold off my GO700. Because the Go came with free TomTom camera database, I decided to give them a try and they are so bad it's not believable - e.g. pgpsw GATSO666 at 40mph has been on the A48 into Cardiff for years. The TomTom database shows it as 50mph despite the speed limit feature showing the speed as 40mph!! I won't bore you with the dozens of errors I've noted on the TomTom database, suffice it to say I've loaded the pgpsw database and feel comfortable again. Sure, there will always be "errors" in it, notably with temporary cameras - how could anybody make it up to date overnight? But, as earlier contributors have said, if we all submit information as and when we can, the database will continue to be as good as I have found it for the last 9 months. It is my good fortune that I had already contributed data before the charging scheme came into being, so I have a free lifetime membership. But I assure you that my faith in the database was already sufficently strong that I had decided I would definitely buy it monthly and the free membership came as a pleasant surprise. I too have continued to contribute and will carry on doing so.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitor wrote:

If you become a paying member and download the official database you will quickly discover that it is trustworthy.

It seems you may have mistakenly bought or downloaded an off-site unofficial version. These are invariably hopelessly out of date or have been tampered with, i.e. useless.

There have been well over 2000 changes in the last 3 versions by the way.
visitor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see, the reason its crap is because I never paid for it ? So its outdated and tampered with ?

If someone bought it here and gave it to someone else, it does not make it any different to if you had bought it yourself. And just for the record, I did buy it, and was very disappointed.

But there again, not many people have anything to compare it too, visitors here will assume its accurate, and end up paying a fine one day.

Then there is the statement that you shouldn’t drive over the speed limit anyway, if nobody here ever drove over the speed limit, whether deliberately or by accident, then they would not need anything to warn them anyway !!

But the main reason for my complaint, is the way this site is run, it asks people to submit new locations, it does not verify them, it misses accurate information when it is sent, and while all the work is being done for it, it charges people for a very bad database.

New camera locations is the key to a good database, and this database does not have them, instead it uses those that have already been logged many times by many companies.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visitor,

thanks for making my day.

I have driven 2000 miles through Scotland during a recent holiday, and not once did I find a mistake in the database. Believe me, I tried very hard.

Your statements sound to me as if they are not based on facts.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: