Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 510 Won't store GPS Position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

510 Won't store GPS Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: 510 Won't store GPS Position Reply with quote

My second 510 refuses to store a one particular gps position as a favourite and I'm baffled! It says it has stored the position outside the office I work at but when I am somewhere else and ask it to navigate me there it says it has no route stored. Everywhere else I've tried, it has worked perfectly but outside the office, no joy. Perhaps it doesn't want me to go there! Its a 2 storey building by the way so it's not blocking sats out and I've tried the procedure 3 times now. The only thing I can say is that the office is new and the road isn't on the map, but I fail to see why that should prevent it storing coordinates.

As a point of interest, this 510 is working OK. Sat fix from cold is a little slower than my pda and tt5 in a thinknavi (sirfstar ll) cradle, which is a little dissapointing, but it's almost instant after that. I've found the external mike is a neccesity when using the hands free facility too, or else it breaks up for the 3rd party.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this strange, as my office is approx. one mile from the nearest mapped road, but the Go-910 navigates me to the nearest mapped road - it should work fine, Try adding the location as a point on the map or Lat/ Long (if you know the co-ords) instead of GPS position - That is how I initially entered the "office" location and its worked fine ever since - Mike
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the answer to this. I've just been over to my local Tesco store, at Handforth Dean, Wilmslow, Cheshire, to pick up the Friday night bottle of wine ( I was working until gone 10pm). I tried to store a favourite on their car park and then on a car park on an industrial park around the corner. Both locations were off a map road and as far as the tomtom was concerned I was awol in a field. In both cases it appeared to have stored the favourite but a subsequent attempt to navigate to the stored location produced the error message "no route stored" I then tried to set a favourite for my work location from a point on the map, as Mike Alder suggested, i.e. off the road on the map. This has worked. Tom Tom will navigate me to the end of the nearest road to the location I stored via a point on the map.

Conclusion: Don't try to store a GPS position as a favourite if you aren't on a road on the map.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just realised why my tt5 on the XDA found a position so quickly every time. The cradle that has the gps in it was permanently mounted on the windscreen and plugged in, so it always knew where it was. That still doesn't excuse the 510 though because the Garmin i3 gets a much faster fix than it does - maybe 30sec average as opposed to up to 2 mins for the 510 if stationary.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: