Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Navman 530 Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Navman 530 Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoy999 wrote:
However, when downloading the UK camera database, I can only find 99 locations under the POI section. Is this all that it can handle?

It will only allow you to manually scroll through a list of up to 99 POI. However if you select an area first (e.g. county or town) and then choose the POI list it will be narrowed down to that area.
ahoy999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon - I'll give it a try.
ahoy999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I found my local ones by doing as you said. Presumably I will now get an alert when approaching one (I have set visible and audio alerts to on). However, I thought that an Icon might appear, as with the standard POI icons for Garages etc. Is it possible to download something appropriate or should this have already happened?
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Displaying/hiding POIs on iCN530 Reply with quote

ahoy999 wrote:
However, I thought that an Icon might appear, as with the standard POI icons for Garages etc.

I'm not sure how that works yet. I downloaded some POI which someone has kindly produced here: http://www.getoutguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poidownloads/. Included in the download there's also an icon (which shows up at the left of the list when you browse POIs) but they don't seem to appear automatically on the map like the built-in ones do. They are all marked as "Active" under preferences.

To reduce map clutter what you really want is to be able to select which ones to display automatically on maps and which ones you only see when you look for a POI. Unfortunately I can't see how to do that - anyone else know if it's possible Question
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the 'Visibility' of the Custom POIs? You can set it, although I'm not sure if you can have different visibility settings for different categories.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been playing with one of these in Halfords, running demo routes etc.
Generally I liked it, menus are a bit more fiddly than TT but with practice I think they would become easy enough.

Road numbers (A roads) seem to be announced as and when it feels like it but most of the time not. Motorways seemed to be always announced (with Junction numbers when exiting). It's a pitty they didn't improve on this feature, maybe we can hope for an update.

I would have liked to see an avoid road block type feature or an easy way to re-route via another road; these days it's so common to come up on a 12 mile tail back on a motorway.

Anyhow given the generally positive reports on here I think I'll buy one and hopefully be able to re-sell it for £200 or so if anything more suitable comes out. The selling points for me are: Headphone socket (walking/cycling use), easily pocketable, good battery life, full European maps.
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my iCN530 for a couple of weeks now. For a long time I've used the AA website and have not had a SatNav before so I can't say how it compares to other brands, but here are my observations:

* Junction announcements: when going straightahead you get announcements every 10 miles, possibly when 3-5 miles to go too. Then you get one announcement about a 30 seconds before you reach a junction (~1/2 mile on motorways, I suppose about 200m on smaller roads) and another announcement just as you approach the turn. I haven't noticed when it does/doesn't announce road numbers - not very often probably - but haven't missed them as the accuracy is (in my experience so far) very good.

* Screen: I don't think you'd want the screen any smaller than this, ideally it would be larger. It's bright but if you're wearing sunglasses you have to squint a bit.

* Volume: not bad. I tend to have it on full since I've usually got the radio on too. In a convertible you'd probably need an amplifier if you were on fast roads.

* I haven't missed the AC charger at all - you can charge via a USB lead from your PC if necessary although I've mainly charged it in the car.

* GPS fix: I can't get a GPS fix indoors (but have thick stone walls - Wifi is bad too). I've not had a problem in the car (which has a Ford heated front windscreen).

* 2D/3D views: interestingly I prefer the 2D view since it seems to show more information and it was closer to a map book, whereas my wife prefers 3D since it's always showing the "forward" direction. Make of that what you will! Wink

* I'd like to have long distances in miles, but then everything else in metres but you can't choose that.

* Full postcode search is great - you can't narrow down to individual houses within a postcode, which might have been nice, but this hasn't been a problem so far. Expected journey time seems a little less than the AA website and, in clear traffic was still a bit longer than actual (15mins in 2h). My father has a Garmin which apparently works out out your actual average speeds so is a bit more accurate. However the ETA on the Navman will adjust as you go along and seems near enough for non-professional use.

* Parking button: I live in a smallish town in Dorset and it didn't have any car parks shown (even though there are 4). I assume this is a limitation with the Tele Atlas data.

* Petrol stations: the button shows you all the close ones but if you're on a main road you don't necessarily know if they are ahead or behind you (at least I don't think so). Ideally you'd want to know the next petrol stations on your route in the direction that you're travelling. All my local ones are shown though (but it doesn't show the oil company name unlike the Garmin).

Overall I'm very pleased with it and I can't see going back to a map book for most journeys. :P
italiastar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoy999 wrote:
I have the 530 and think that it's excellent.

However, when downloading the UK camera database, I can only find 99 locations under the POI section. Is this all that it can handle?

Hi, I'm very tempted in this unit - can anyone confirm whether the above post is correct? - 99 speed cameras won't go very far - or is there another way of loading the data?

Thanks in advance.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same as the iCN520 etc. the 99 is a limit of the search display. It can store thousands, but can only display 99 results at a time. Uless you type in something, the first 99 are displayed. All you need to do is start typing names, and the displayed search results will eventually drop to less than 99, the the number at the top will say something different. The same happens for all serached - roads, cities etc.

Really what they mean to display is More than 99, but they only have room for 99 in the box.

Because of this, it is not wise to name POIs with the same first few characetrs -i.e. "Speed Camera : abc123". Best to do something like "abd123:Speed camera"

Hope this helps eqase some confusion.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is showing the 99 closest camera's camera's thats enough they are all on theere, the m40 is a bit out of date but seeeing as they only changed about three weeks ago i can see why. very good gps system evan better not the TMC module is out! mine should arrive any day now, keep you all informed! Laughing
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my icn 530 yesterday. Played with it all day, loaded it up with speed camera db and other POIs. My observations are:

Good points:

* Sound is better than on the icn 550 (louder), but UK female voice is a bit too bassy and deep for my liking (less feminine).

* Bright screen

* quick sat lock after long initial first startup

* can get signal inside house

Bad points:

* No left/right/up/down,OK buttons on unit - I found this quite useful on the icn 550.

* in 2D mode the OK button etc was useful to add a location as a favourite. It's now a bit more fiddly to do as you need to touch the screen etc? more hassle when driving. Is there an easier way?

BUG?

Also something strange. A possible BUG? I set the speed limit warning to 85 MPH, but when I was driving it kept bleeping at 55 MPH. Now 85 KPH is approx 55 MPH? When I tried saving the speed limit at 80 MPH and exited and went back into the menu it said the speed limit was set to 75 MPH?

Anyone have any ideas?
Home 2.7.3.1894
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of 2D maps; is everyone else having the same problem as me?
When navigating a route the 2D map shows the current position until it finally disappears off the edge of the screen - then nothing; the map just freezes without scrolling to a new position.
Is this normal??
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pressing the Esc key.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in manual mode. As Tim says, pressing ESC sets it back to automatic mode.
Home 2.7.3.1894
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim Buxton and Mojo; that worked ! :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: