Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Observations after 1 week with the icn520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Observations after 1 week with the icn520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pauli363
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Observations after 1 week with the icn520 Reply with quote

Apart from the poor N Ireland coverage which we all know, I have twice been directed to the wrong areas completely. I was in Ballynahinch Co Down today. I knew the route from Lisburn so programmed the 520 just to see where it took me. In the centre of Ballynahinch, (the main roads in town were mapped) it did not know I was in the town and was telling me Ballynahinch was six miles away! Exact same Im afraid for Armoy, Co Antrim and Banbridge!!

On one occasion, the 520 point blank refused to recalculate my route after I purposefully ignored its (circuitous) instructions, even though the new road I was on was mapped and was a quicker way to my destination.

Big problem for any visitor is that the 520 will recognise most towns and villages, and will take you there. However, as only main linking roads and motorways are mapped (outside of greater Belfast), it will direct you quite often to a very long route to your destination, where if you had local knowledge (or, to be honest, watched the road signs) there are shorter routed available.

Voice directions are very good and clear and I find the screen easy to use, although not great in bright sunshine. Unit is easy to program and I really like the easy way I can update POI's, which I have spent many a long hour enjoying doing! At least members have ensured the speed camera database for N Ireland is up to date although its funny to be driving along a green field (as my 520 screen often shows) often to be warned of a speed camera ahead in the middle of nowhere!

To be honest I bought the 520 with an upcoming two week holiday to Brittany in mind. Having holidayed in Northern and Southern France (by car) for the last 5 years, I am really looking forward to having my little friend stuck to the windscreen this year. Does anyone have any experience of how good the 520 is around Dol de Bretagne/ St Malo area?
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pauli363
Cannot comment on Brittany, but my 510 last year took us down to Millau, the Roan Alps and Langres, via Calais. Upgraded to 520 spec in December, a trip to Belgium in March and for this year’s trip Avignon,
I will have no worries about my iCN. Using it on a daily bases in the UK covering thousands of miles a month with complete confidence.
You have the advantage over it, common sense and after all it’s only a aid to navigating, You have the final choice? Do I take that track or not. If in doubt don’t take it.
Watch out for the re route, it will try and put you back on the original route it first calculated. How is your preferences set up, this plays a major factor in the way the iCN calculates a route.
Hope this helps build your confidence in your iCN.
I always carry a spare SD card with maps of the area I am in, and a map as back up.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
RATCHET
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just returned from a week in france in which i travelled from calais around Paris and down to Limoges.I had the european maps installed and the icn520 worked with out any problems.It gave clear and accurate instructions at every turn which was very helpfull while driving round Paris :D
Pauli363
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Stuff!! I was hopeful this would be the case. I have looked at some of our upcoming routes in France via demonstrate route, and its seems well detailed. Roll on July!. BTW my preferences are set as:
Route type: quickest
Pref for Motorways: slightly more often
Pref for urban roads: more often
(I think this is the default setting)
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, again can't comment about Brittany but last summer we headed south across France and along the south coast via the Millau Bridge (well worth the detour!) to our destination of St Cyprien. While there, we toured the area and our iCN510 was invaluable.
At October half term, we went to Paris and as always it was invaluable. This summer we're heading to the Bordeaux area and the Navman will be pressed into service.

As an electronic map aid it is superb. As a route finding and guiding device it does need common sense and an understanding to get the best out of it. If time allows, I always try to set a route the night before and run a quick check and tweak if required by adding additional "stops" to the route. I certainly wouldn't like to travel into unknown areas without it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: