Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another Nuvi Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Nuvi Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosiei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Another Nuvi Question Reply with quote

Hi

Considering changing my TT910 for the Nuvi 360---I went into Comet today and they had the Nuvi 300 there to hold and play with.
2 questions though--because we were inside obviously we couldn't get a sat fix so couldn't really see how it works--Does it have an option to use indoors to set up routes etc like the Garmin 2610. And I couldn't for the life of me see how you plan a route beforehand or is this not possible. I like to pre plan routes in advance to see how long a journey may take etc. You can do this on the 910 and I could do it on my old Garmin 2610.

Thanks in advance
Superten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

On the 300 if you leave the aerial down on the back the GPS is switched off.

It does remember your last location, so for example if my last location was work and I wanted to plan a route from home, I just set home as my current location and then input my destination. At least I think thats how it worked.
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As superten says, leave the antenna closed - you will also get the option to simulate a route when the antenna is closed.

You cannot "save" a route like some other Garmin units - there is also no Mapsource integration. The nearest thing you can do is you can set your start location on the map and then choose "where to" to go from there. to set your location, click where to, down arrow twice then browse map. You can set your location on wherever you touch the map with the "set loc" button.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same same problem when I was thinking about purchasing the Nuvi 350. The answer to your question is yes, it can bet donw, but is not perfect.

To be able to plan a route you will need to set your location, the only way to do this is to manually zoom in and out of the map view. When you have located your starting point you select the 'Set Loc' icon. This is now your starting point.

Then its just a matter of selecting "Where to" and entering the destination address.

The above is with the GPS switch off, one other thing to note, if the unit you are using is brand new and has never had a fix, there will be a blank map displayed, this is a problem. You will have to convince the salesman to take the unit outside to get a fix. Once a fix has been made, all the above works OK, with the GPS switched off and in doors.

One think I will be sending Garmin is a request to be able to set the location using the address entry method, instead of the manual search method.
hutchys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone tell me please if the POI's that I have downloaded onto the Nuvi 300 show on the map when you set a route? Do you have to enable them as per TT? Or are they just used for navigation ie if you want some where to stay on your journey you select a travlelodge from the POI's and then set that as your destination.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: