Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - (Nuvi 360) Questions.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

(Nuvi 360) Questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostinweb, if you're really after route planning software, why not use the like of Autoroute to do your advanced planning/itinerary planning (with stop off times, refuels, overnight stops etc planned), and then use the likes of the Nuvi, or TT to actually get you there.

I made many european driving trips and this is waht I've done.

Autoroute is great for advanced planning and giving you a "feel" of where your going and the expected times. The Nuvi or TT is fantastic for actually getting you there without having to fight with maps or itinerary plans.

Cheers
Kenny
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is similar to what I did last year. This year I was hoping to plan everything on the satnav unit and not bother with maps, autoroute etc. None of the devices are really good for this it seems.

Perhaps you can be of help in this case. I don't want to have to input each subsequent waypoint once I have got to the old one. Is this really feasible? I guess I should try and plan the route on Autoroute and then navigate with the Nuvi, entering a new destination/waypoint at each stop. Is this how you recommend doing it?
Kennyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostinweb

Yeah, that's what I'd do. For example, if I was going to Geneva then I'd use Autoroute to help predict journey times, stoppages for ferries/tunnel etc, and then be able to establish stops, such as Lyon. I'd then tell the Nuvi where I want my days journey to finish and any (1) additional waypoint, which it will let you do. So, you should then be able to follow the overall itinerary planned via Autoroute, and use the Nuvi (or other mobile GPS) to get you there.

And what you could do in advance of your trip was add each days destination into your favourites, and then just call them up as required - you could even name them appropriattely eg. Lyon- Day1, Geneva-Day2, Morzine Campsite-Day3, Paris Hotel-Day4 etc

Cheers
Kenny
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I had planned and have bought myself the TT910 so perhaps I am no longer able to post to this thread. I will do so just for the info.

I had all my routes planned for each day of our fortnight holiday on Autoroute and had been planing these for the last week or so. We always avoid motorways and prefer scenic routes and I don't let Autoroute choose the routes between two points either but rather give it many waypoints that I have selected and researched for good roads. I am now entering these routes into the 910 and saving each day as a separate itinerary. At the end of the day this is exactly what I wanted but the Nuvi won't allow it and it is a shame because I had to buy a TT instead.

The problem with the TT is that you can't easily plot a route using the map and clicking on towns as waypoints, instead having to enter them by finding their names. It is a compromise but doable. Thanks again for all the help. Smile
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done a bit of research into which Sat Nav to buy, my understanding was that the Nuvi 360 would accept up to 500 waypoints! Is this not the case?
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This waypoint thing confuses me too. It appears you can load 500 waypoints to the unit using the PC, but you can only set one via on the unit when routing.
Is it possible to route through many way points? I wish I could figure it out!

I used to use my tomtom to plan cycling routes using waypoints to keep me on the minor roads, it wasn't a route from A to B as you would want in a car but a loop taking me through various points. The question of whether or not I could do this on the nuvi is putting off buying.
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is right that the Nuvi will only allow you to select 1 waypoint on your route. Either it was a major error on the part of Garmin or they have done it on purpose so as not to compete with some other units in their range. It was this feature alone that made me get the 910 although I am waiting for the TT710 to become available as it meets all my needs even better. I am also investigating the Garmin 530 with a larger SD card as it is a cheap option.
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes the nuvi and streetpilot c series (530 etc) only allow 1 waypoint (via) on the route from point a to point b. You can store many waypoints on the devices (500?) but can only have 1 set as the via point per route.

The nearest thing to multiple vias, is to route from point a to first waypoint, then when reached, route to 2nd waypoint etc - ie many small routes. Not ideal I appreciate. You also cannot use mapsource to pre plan the route.

The cheapest Garmin units to do multiple vias would be the pda M series. Personally I have sold my nuvi and will move to the garmin "black box" Kenwood nav unit kna g520. Relatively similar costs to a high end nuvi but needs to be connected to suitable kenwood screen.
DannoUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time deciding whether to go for the TomTom 910 or the Nuvi 360 after having had the Tom Tom Go for ages and loving it. I went for the Nuvi 360 and have written my thoughts here : http://www.onlydanno.co.uk/?p=76 - hope that helps.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DannoUK
I read your review with interest and it hits the nail right on the head. :D
My 360 performs admirably. :D
Being an ex TT910 user myself my concerns were almost the same as yours.
Having now used the unit for 4 weeks every day, it does what it says on the tin and very well too. Thumbs Up

CeeJay.
DannoUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! After a couple of weeks using it now, I am more than satisfied compared to the TomTom. The satnav side of it is much more accurate and way quicker too. And even when a route is not planned it gives very useful information! All in all I am very pleased!!
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DannoUK.

Me Too. :D
Especially the fact that you still get your camera and overspeed warnings without having to enter a destination (without none of that 'silent voice' nonsense).
Lovely Jubbly. Thumbs Up

CeeJay

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: