Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New i3 any better than old one on sd card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New i3 any better than old one on sd card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jizzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: New i3 any better than old one on sd card? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just got an i3 from argos last week but annoyed to find it has V7 maps after having read numerous threads on this excellent forum about this little marvell and knowing i can get a free upgrade to V8 from Garmin on the sd card.
I was just wondering other than the new i3's having the maps on the internal memory are they better in any other way or any more functionallity? have just been touring the north yorkshire moors etc on a 500 mile trip and to be honest this i3 even with the V7 maps has been fantastic finding roads and shortcuts that were not even sign posted.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New i3 any better than old one on sd card? Reply with quote

jizzer wrote:
Hi all,

Just got an i3 from argos last week but annoyed to find it has V7 maps after having read numerous threads on this excellent forum about this little marvell and knowing i can get a free upgrade to V8 from Garmin on the sd card.
I was just wondering other than the new i3's having the maps on the internal memory are they better in any other way or any more functionallity? have just been touring the north yorkshire moors etc on a 500 mile trip and to be honest this i3 even with the V7 maps has been fantastic finding roads and shortcuts that were not even sign posted.

Welcome to the Forum Jizzer,

Suprised to here you got a V7 map version this is probably due to not rotating stock litterly you have got one from the very back of the shelf.
If the store is close to you go back ask if they have any with v8 mapping the barcode on the box has v8 on the top left hand corner of the barcode.

As you say upgrade is no problem other than you will have to pay to send the card.

My preference if both versions were available to me would be the original map on card holds more poi's, the version with map on memory does not have much spare capacity.

No suprise that the mapping was ok on your travels the v7 to v8 update would have no impact on your back of beyond travels in Yorkshire.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked this out with Garmin as I wanted to buy another unit and knew that they had recently introduced a non SD card version.

I was told that on the 256mb SD card, roughly 160mb are used for mapping an 10mb for software leaving roughly 90mb for POIs.

The new non SD versions apparently have only 2mb for POIs (although you can buy an SD card and load onto those) so are much more limited.

If you've got an old style version I'd stick with it and get Garmin to upgrade to V8 for free.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got the new style but would have preferred the old style due to 3 reasons :-

1) I can backup my maps ! Cant do this with the new one and they dont give a cd either :@
2) In the process ... you get a free sd card ! Smile
3) I cant change voices on my new style one

So, just because garmin wanted to save on sd cards ... functionality has really been taken away not increased.
jizzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies more or less have made my mind up to stick with the sd card and get a free upgrade if the base unit does not have any more features on it than the newer model.

[/quote]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: