Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - european maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

european maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: european maps Reply with quote

I have used tomtom navigator 5 in both Sweden and Germany. they worked well enough but I'm disappointed that they don't have details down to minor road level like the UK maps have. Main roads are ok but street level/postcode navigation is better. I'm off to spain soon and looking at their maps, it major roads only too.

GPs maps at minor road level are available for european countries in other software makes bought locally

does anyone know if this has or will be rectified by tomtom or is there another software make that has street level maps for each country in europe that has similar functionality to tomtom -speed cameras etc.

Masrock
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of TomTom are you using, it sounds like the GB plus Major Roads of Europe, to get street level within the other counties requires you to switch map to the country required, you would of course have to load the map data onto the card first from the CDs that come with the application. Mike
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using TomTom Navigator 5 Software & Maps of Western Europe (including GB). I did load the maps of germany and spain onto my sd card. So I have the following files:

great britain plus map
germany plus map
Iberia plus map

I thought it would automatically find the right map for the relevant area. have I been a bit blond and not loaded pressed a button in tomtom to include that area?

I have noticed that my config file keeps defaulting back to factory setting so I lose all of my poi's and favourites too.

Masrock
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh

Yes you have to switch maps.

Well even a geek like me can learn something.

Ta

Masrock

hope68
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masrock wrote:

I have noticed that my config file keeps defaulting back to factory setting so I lose all of my poi's and favourites too.

Masrock

Hiya,
can it be that u have locked ur SD-Card? If so, TT couldnt write any data on the SD-Card and u loos everything as soon as u finish TT.

cu Peter
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start to save space you only need one map file with the PLUS name against it, the other counties might as well be normal maps, the PLUS maps are considerably larger than the single county files, there is little point carrying duplicated map data on your cards.

As to the settings disapearing, if the SD lock switch has been set to lock, unlock it, otherwise check the read access properties of the cfg file in the map folder, if its read only you need to change this to read/ write, copy the file back to the PC and change the attribute using Windows Explorer, then replace the file in the correct folder on the card - Mike
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

losing the poi's happened quite a lot in the early days of having the software so I always keep a copy of the config file as a bak file. probably when I was playing with the software as i got used to it.

It stopped happening for a long time then only started again if I was sat at my desk browsing the map trying to find my destinations then closing down the unit without it ever gaining a satellite lock. This may be the root of the problem and why you sometimes lose your favourites and poi schedule of preferences.

I'll take your advice in reducing map size. I'm sure the sd card isn't locked and its a read/write file.

Thanks for the help.

Masrock

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: