Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Text To Speech Works Fine on 510/710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Text To Speech Works Fine on 510/710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
chris_w wrote:
True - but think of the units they are not selling because users can't justify the upgrade to a 910.

I can't see that many people not buying any x10 becaue they really want TTS and can't afford or justify the 910. With the current design TT would have to add a disk or a 4GB SD card to one/both of the lower models, even though it has been proven that only 1GB is necessary. That would price the 510 out of the lower end market, leaving the 710 as the only real option for this - but I doubt that the NA maps, audiobooks etc. would be enough to differentiate the 710 and 910. You would effectively end up eliminating the 710, although I would expect sales of that model to be the lowest of the three anyway (if they ever ship it).

Obviously we would all prefer lower prices and more features, but from the seling perspective I would say that TT have got the feature and price structure about right.

I usually by a new one every year (for the last five years) and I'm condsidering staying with my 700 - all I want is TTS. I'm not bothered about any of the other functionality.

Anyway time will tell.

Chris
Emmo213
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I bring the thread back from the dead, if we needed access to the voices couldn't we use the default ones that are available for download on the TomTom site?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmo213 wrote:
couldn't we use the default ones that are available for download on the TomTom site?
Not as they are at the present, as they don't have the necessary Speech Segments.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dazzer1975
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from the point of view as a complete technical novice (as no doubt will be evidenced by my following comment) would it be possible to record your own voice saying the necessary instructions and then jjust saving them under the correct file names?

I suspect this is not possible but thought id ask anyway.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzer1975 wrote:
Speaking from the point of view as a complete technical novice (as no doubt will be evidenced by my following comment) would it be possible to record your own voice saying the necessary instructions and then jjust saving them under the correct file names?

I suspect this is not possible but thought id ask anyway.
It is possible (well it is a little more complicated than that Laughing ), but this is about the text-to-speech function on the x10 units. It works by "reading out" the names of the streets so it tells you to "turn left into High St" rather than just "turn left". Obviously, for this level of details, you don't want to record all the street and place names in the UK Exclamation Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
dazzer1975
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Obviously, for this level of details, you don't want to record all the street and place names in the UK Exclamation Exclamation

Laughing Out Loud, quite!

Thanks for that
Eric_T
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've read through this thread and some things still aren't quite clear...

I have a GO700 running firmware 6, and it seems to understand the concept or text to speech because if I try to tell it to "read SMS messages" it complains about me using the wrong voice files.

My colleague sitting right next to me has a GO910 with working text to speech....

Is it as simple as locaint one of the "computer voice" files and transferring that to the right map ? Or are the voice files on a go910 already encrypted and non transferable ?

Anyone any idea ? Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem here is the issue of legality, as you don't actually own the speach files they were purchased by your friend - Mike
Eric_T
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The only problem here is the issue of legality, as you don't actually own the speach files they were purchased by your friend - Mike

I can confirm that. As soon as the Go700 has the necessary files it will do TTS in the exact same way as the Go910. Wether or not there will ever be a legal way to do this remains up to TomTom. Hopefully they will at least include TTS in the map upgrade if & when it becomes available for the classics.

This makes you wonder if the MP3 player would also work if you can get the menu item installed :D
pooleorch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: tts-on go 500/700 etc Reply with quote

hi all

upgraded to v6.12 tomtom on go 500
I have access to all files on a tomtom 910
tried copying across voice files for text-to-speech
its works when i test a voice (kates voice) once only
but wont use the voice on routes or anything else
any ides???
maybe its the maps that have to be newer for tts to work?
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 510 and really wish this was all the xx10 range its the only thing missing from other wise a great piece of kit ..

Liverpool F.C rocks
cazmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: text to speach files Reply with quote

I have v6.05 and app6.12 on my tom tom one but there are no text to speech files.Please can anyone help me locate the file or do I have to wait for the tom tom download?
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have v6.05 and app6.12 on my tom tom one but there are no text to speech files.Please can anyone help me locate the file or do I have to wait for the tom tom download?

1: The TTS Files are Copyright TomTom so asking for a download is not the done thing on here

2: The TTS Files will only work with the latest Seamless Europe or US Maps V6.50 (Just under 2Gb Each) Again Copyright TomTom

So the bottom line is "It just ain't going to happen" until Tomtom decide they want it to, (Legally anyway).
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accept point 1 regarding copyright.

Point 2 is incorrect the TTS works perfectly with the UK map data as supplied with the 510.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have been more specific on Point 2.

Yes the V6.50 UK & MRE Map is supported,

But the OP was talking about using the older 605 maps that cam with the original TTOnes, These are not supported.

Cheers

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: