Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Permanent GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Permanent GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eakucera00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Permanent GPS Reply with quote

I'm looking for a system that will automaticly turn on and turn off with the ignition and that offers bluetooth hands free connectivity. I have been looking at both the tomtom 510 and 910 as well as the Garmin streetpilot w/ bluetooth. but none of them seem to have info about this. It seems they must be powered on and off each time. Anyone have any suggestions. Sorry if this is in the wrong location. this is my first post and i'm a bit unfamiliar.

thanks,
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know about the latest TT Go but my wife's TT700 does just what you want when it is in its mount as long the ciggy lighter or other feed you have got for the mount works off the ignition. When the power goes on (by switching on the ignition) the TT switches on. When its switched off so is the TT.

Guess the new ones are the same - if not you can still pick up a 700 at silly prices.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
eakucera00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. this is good news. I have previously used a DELL navtech software and it had a very slow refresh. it did not seem fluid. i'm not sure it it was a limitation of hardware of the software. with the tomtom, does the navigation appear fluid or does it also have clear refresh? It was especially a problem at high speeds, i would actually miss freeway exits... I appreciate your help.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ipaq running TT5, my wife has a TT Go 700. Both are very fluid - continuously upgrading as you go - makes you giddy to watch when you are going around a roundabout and the display is rotating with you.

However the movement can become jerky sometimes (especially on PDAs) if you have POIs displyed on the maps. I always just hit the "hide POIs" button. However it has never been that bad that it misses a junction - unless you are driving a McLaren? Smile
Copilot for USA
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the Garmins will switch on/off as you require, (older ones did C310/20), they switch on when given power, when the power is lost you get 30 seconds to say ok to battery use otherwise they power down.
eakucera00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, it seemed like an obvious feature for me. but after reading through several PDF manuals online. not a single one of them mentioned this functionality. I thought i better check before i dropped 700.00 or so. Smile

thanks guys,
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure - the TT only do when they are sitting on their car mount and the power is supplied via the mount. If you plug the cable directly into the back of the TT rather than the mount the auto power on/off wont work
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: